LINE 6 FLOOR POD (Guitar Processor) - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS!

Anderton

• Members
Originally posted by MightyGerbil

How would this thing work for bass guitar???

I play both 6 string electric guitar and 4 string electric bass....

Not at the same time obviously.....

And would love to have 1 box I could set up for both.....

Maybe a stupid question or idea but this is what I am looking for...
:o

me too!:thu:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, you can use anything with bass, but IMHO the Floor POD is not optimized for bass -- in other words, the cabinets sound "tuned" for guitar, I don't think there are any emulated bass cabs in there. There's also no dedicated parametric EQ to really mess with (boost) the bass frequencies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Line 6 came out with a bass Floor POD at some point...might be worth waiting for that. Mark, any plans along those lines?

• Members

Yeah, I own the Toneport, Gutarport and all the model packs save the bass, and Line 6 wants an outrageous $200 for vst functionality for those of us who have already made a considerable investment in a computer based system.

Just say NO and go with Amplitube 2.1 or Guitar Rig 2, neither of which has a dongle, are much more flexible and sound better. (That is, I can't use my model packs with both my Guitarport and Toneport, or any other Line 6 Product I choose (not) to purchase.)

In my NSHO, I feel like I've been baited and switched, and I will be working with my other AmpSims, since without vst functionality, my professional applications for Line 6 software are useless.

Now, I'm not frustrated with Line 6 or anything, but they certainly have taught me to avoid GAS attacks in a very real and personal way..... When I first bought into Line 6, I had really high hopes that it was a good investment - at the time it was, but I thought VST would be added as a simple technical upgrade (VST functionality is NOT rocket science - witness all the free vst's on the market, and the fact that it is de riguer with current amp sims)

If you REALLY like Line 6 sounds, go with them, but just be aware of the gotchas (which are NOT listed in the marketing hype)..... They are good, but not THAT good.....

Especially when compared with their competition (Amplitube 2.1, Guitar Rig 2)....

Originally posted by Line 6 Mark

PODxt vs. POD 2.0 sounds

Using POD 2.0 technology for this product (as opposed to PODxt) allowed us to offer this at a much lower price point. It is also significant that the “old generation” of modeling used for Floor POD is still quite alive in Amp Farm and POD 2.0. Line 6 product developers and sound designers believe the PODxt/GearBox/Vetta technology is more realistic and nuanced, but POD 2.0 & Amp Farm have undeniable character and many of our customers even prefer this sound.

Tap & Tuner function button

Yes, it’s true that you need to press a button to get to tap tempo and tuner functionality. There are three footswitches and we’ve chosen to have two modes –
and
. We decided that these were more important to offer on dedicated footswitches than tap and tuner. Trying to make them work as “press two buttons at once” was not desirable because it opens a can of worms and has unintended consequences. I would assume you would want tap/tuner accessible in both preset and fx on/off mode. In order to make any “press two switches” function work, you have to make every footswitch that works this way perform its function on release rather than press. We tried this and believed it was unacceptable to have patch changes or FX on/off happen on release.

Craig – yes, the presets are meant to show the range of tones you can get from the unit. For myself, I prefer fairly straight ahead modeled amp sounds with a bit of compression and little or no other effects, but you wouldn’t get a sense of scope if the presets were tamed in that manner.

Telemike –– if you saw that you couldn’t get to Tremolo or Phaser sounds by turning the MOD knob, it sounds like there was something wrong with that unit. I have never seen a Floor POD do that or heard another report of this behavior, so I’d have to say it’s an unusual problem. I have also not seen the high pitched squeal described in the review you quoted.

• Members

I understand where you're coming from, but wonder if there's some technical issue involved. I know the TonePorts work on a pretty deep level of the OS, which is why the latency is so low...their software bypasses a lot of the Windows and Mac GUI. Maybe they need to have their plugs work in the same environment, which would preclude their acting like "normal" VST plugs.

Just wondering...

• Members

I think the reason Line 6 may have to work so hard is because of the dongle/protection scheme they use, not because of the technical difficulty of latency....

I get 1.5 ms latency using an RPC-1/VM3100 pro with GR2 and 1.6 with Amplitube. (Of course, I do have a fast computer). Other interfaces are comparable, with none over 5 ms. (All my drivers are ASIO, which bypasses the Windows mixer - what else do you have to bypass?)

Pentium Core Duo, Asus P5B deluxe, E6700, 2 GB Corsair memory, WinXp, SATA 10K drives.....

Interfaces are:
Boss GS-10 (USB)
Zoom G7.1uT (USB)
Roland Vm3100Pro/rpc-1 (PCI)
Digitech Gnx4 (recently sold on EBay) (USB)
Digitech RP250 (USB)
Indigo I/O (PCMCIA)

VST Hosts:
Sonar Producer 6
Ableton Live 6
Fruity Loops 6
Adobe Audition

AmpSims:
Guitar Rig 2
Amplitube 2.1
Gearbox (with all model packs except bass)

Guitarport, Toneport (haven't checked without Gearbox, since they are gathering dust now.....)

But I got low latency ((well, ok, I couldn't get below 10Ms with the GNX4 ASIO drivers...)

So I have to pay because Line 6 is compensating users with underwhelming PC's.....? (Not to be a snob or anything....:-)

Originally posted by Anderton

I understand where you're coming from, but wonder if there's some technical issue involved. I know the TonePorts work on a pretty deep level of the OS, which is why the latency is so low...their software bypasses a lot of the Windows and Mac GUI. Maybe they need to have their plugs work in the same environment, which would preclude their acting like "normal" VST plugs.

Just wondering...

• Members

Are those measured latencies, or what the program tells you? I can understand that a PCI interface would give lower latencies than the USB ones, but how did you get under 5ms with the GNX4? I'm using the beta ASIO drivers and according to its applet, you can't get less than 10ms. If you have a newer driver I'd love to get my hands on it!!

But as we're finding out over at the Konnekt 24D Pro Review, there's a HUGE difference between stated latency and round trip + bus latencies for various interfaces. And as I found out in the Riffworks Pro Review, a lot of products don't report latencies correctly. Based on tests Riffworks did, the Line 6 interfaces were some of the few interfaces that actually reported correct latency values.

So I wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions with my own setup until I can actually measure roundtrip latencies using something like the CEntrance latency measuring utility.

• Members

Craig, Thanks for your response.

I did comment at the bottom....:-) Or, I might have edited that in - depends on the forum lag. In any case, you're right; I couldn't get less than 10ms for the GNX4....

Digitech is kind of weird, though. For the RP250, I should add that I only got great latency with Sonar Producer 6. As I remember, Ableton was not as good, but it does to latency compensation. But for most of my recording, I use the RPC-1 for obvious reasons. (And I probably will use Gearbox as an I/O for my other VST's, at least until the StompIO is released), although the Indigo I/0 is no slouch on my laptop (Core Duo 2 Ghz)

In any case, I don't pretend to be much of an expert in ASIO latency, so am not vetting the interfaces technically (got too many scales to practice...:-). I only know what I see on the screen and what I hear when I play; other than that, (for me) all I can say is the latency is unnoticeable for most of my i/o solutions. Line 6 may have some sort of magical latency solution, but in the real world, with my computer, the issue is moot.....

Originally posted by Anderton

Are those
measured
latencies, or what the program tells you? I can understand that a PCI interface would give lower latencies than the USB ones, but how did you get under 5ms with the GNX4? I'm using the beta ASIO drivers and according to its applet, you can't get less than 10ms. If you have a newer driver I'd
love
to get my hands on it!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, if you're REALLY interested in my take........

First of all, no computer-based simulation is going to
feel
like a tube amp to the guitarist, even though a good simulation will
sound
like a tube amp to the listener. Part of this is because with a computer, you're monitoring through non-guitar speakers, at non-guitar amp levels. Run it through a guitar amp, and the equation tilts toward giving it a much more tube-like feel.

Sir,

Please help me understand above.

A) As you rule out Speaker sims, Does this mean that Guitar Speaker simulators are no good ?

B) I understand from above that the only way to get a tube feel is by actually using a tube ?

( PS : Thanks for your decades of work in sound technology. I am a humble student of your work)

• Members

I gotta chime in here........for recording on the PC Amplitube 2 blows Gearbox away......period.

But isn't the floor pod really designed more towards playing live using the sounds you would have recorded with Gearbox? I mean isn't the idea........

I love the idea of one box doing ti all, but I just can't see it happening...to me recording and playing live with always be 2 distinctly different animals.

I t may already have been answered in the previous pages, but what i really want to know is how does the floor pod compare to say the older pod XT....and does the floor pod stand a chance against the likes of the toneport?

• Members

Sir,

Please help me understand above.

A) As you rule out Speaker sims, Does this mean that Guitar Speaker simulators are no good ?

B) I understand from above that the only way to get a tube feel is by actually using a tube ?

A) Guess I wasn't clear...I consider the whole simulation thing (amp, speakers, cabinets as one "pacakge." I don't rule them out -- I use them all the time, and in most ways, prefer them to amps. But....

B) As far as I'm concerned, the only way to get a tube "feel" is with a tube. But you can get a tube sound with a simulator. I've heard plenty of recordings where it is difficult, if not impossible, to tell whether a guitar amp sound is real or simulated.

Does that make sense?

• Members

But isn't the floor pod really designed more towards playing live using the sounds you would have recorded with Gearbox? I mean isn't the idea........

I love the idea of one box doing ti all, but I just can't see it happening...to me recording and playing live with always be 2 distinctly different animals.

I t may already have been answered in the previous pages, but what i really want to know is how does the floor pod compare to say the older pod XT....and does the floor pod stand a chance against the likes of the toneport?

The Floor POD is an inexpensive solution for live playing and if you're on a budget, you can certainly use it for recording. But it is a generation prior to the XT, which I feel is quite a bit more versatile for recording than the Floor POD, although of course it will cost you more.

As to whether the Floor POD "stands a chance" against the TonePort, I'm not quite sure what you mean...the TonePort is a computer interface with effects, not a live performance device, and the Floor POD can't do computer interfacing so they're quite different.

• Members

One more thing: Regarding AmpliTube 2, I like it very much...great software. But Guitar Rig does things it won't do, and the Waves GTR overall has a more defined sound than either one, but is less versatile in some ways. Line 6's simulations have their own sound. I use them all for what they do best...same with guitars :)

If I had to do an analogy of sound quality, I'd say AmpliTube 2 is humbuckers, GTR is single-coil, Guitar Rig is MIDI guitar :), and TonePort is between a humbucker and a single coil.

Re-reading that, I guess it's a little esoteric...oh well. Maybe it will make some sense!

• Members

As to whether the Floor POD "stands a chance" against the TonePort, I'm not quite sure what you mean...the TonePort is a computer interface with effects, not a live performance device, and the Floor POD can't do computer interfacing so they're quite different.

Thanks for the response......what I was referring to was the use of the floor POD as a recording device compared to the toneport and gearbox. I didn't realize the floor pod did not interface like the traditional pod.

So given the cost of floor pod, you just just buy a cheaper Line6 amp say a Spider II or III? I mean we are focusing on the live side of things as compared to recording right?

• Members

I've read through most of the posts on this thread. I'm just wondering whether the Floor Pod fits the bill for a no nonsense FX unit for live playing.

I play keyboards and guitar in a cover band. My guitar rig is a Peavey XXX thru a Genz Benz GL 2x12 cab. My external pedals consist of a Boss TU Tuner and a Digitech Whammy IV. A few months back I bought an XTLive with the hopes that it would provide a multi effects solution through my FX loop, provide an alternative (with amp sims direct into the PA) for small stages when I can't use my rig and as a backup if my amp ever failed. The truth is I was hoping for something plug and play.... the reality its that it is far complicated than that. For what I need (a little delay, chorus, reverb) the XTL is way overkill, and I really dislike that I have so many features hidden in menus. I want to use my XXX as my preamp and bypass the amp sims. The XTLive requires a lot of tweaking (time I don't have) to be stage worthy.

Has anyone used the Floor Pod infront of their amp or in a loop just as a simple fx box? If someone has a better plug and play idea for reverb and modulation please let me know.

• Members

I have a general question about the floor pod. I'm molling over the idea to purchase one but i already own a behringer v-ampire lx1-112 and it requires a degree in rocket science and a very good knowledge of quantum physics to program.. and because of that it reeks for gigging. my main thing is user friendliness. how easy is the floor pod to program. i just want the basic things, a clean channel with a bit of chorus, a nice soldano rhythm channel and last but not least the soldano with a touch of chorus and echo... any help would be greatly appreciated..

Gear:
Keith Roscoe LP
ovation CC057 accoustic
Ibanez destroyer
Cort Viva 7 string
Behringer Lx1-112 modeling amp
Crate slant Cab W/ Celestions

• Members

PODxt vs. POD 2.0 sounds

Tap & Tuner function button

Yes, it’s true that you need to press a button to get to tap tempo and tuner functionality. There are three footswitches and we’ve chosen to have two modes –
and
. We decided that these were more important to offer on dedicated footswitches than tap and tuner. Trying to make them work as “press two buttons at once” was not desirable because it opens a can of worms and has unintended consequences. I would assume you would want tap/tuner accessible in both preset and fx on/off mode. In order to make any “press two switches” function work, you have to make every footswitch that works this way perform its function on release rather than press. We tried this and believed it was unacceptable to have patch changes or FX on/off happen on release.

I can think of two more ways to implement it and not on footswitch release:

1. bypass mode is also a tuner mode.

2. press and hold both footswitches for 2-3 secconds.

Just a thought, because i know nothing about pedal programming...

• Members

I have a general question about the floor pod. I'm molling over the idea to purchase one but i already own a behringer v-ampire lx1-112 and it requires a degree in rocket science and a very good knowledge of quantum physics to program.. and because of that it reeks for gigging. my main thing is user friendliness. how easy is the floor pod to program. i just want the basic things, a clean channel with a bit of chorus, a nice soldano rhythm channel and last but not least the soldano with a touch of chorus and echo... any help would be greatly appreciated..

I think the whole point of the Floor POD is that it's about as easy to program as it gets. Check it out at your local music store, and I think you'll see it's all pretty obvious.

• Members

I think the whole point of the Floor POD is that it's about as easy to program as it gets. Check it out at your local music store, and I think you'll see it's all pretty obvious.

Thanks for your prompt reply, i looked at a floor pod at guitar center.but the salesman couldn't tell me much about it, so i turned to you guys and got the answers i needed. thanks again

Sincerely, Marty

• Members

Just got back into playing electric guitar after a loooonnng hiatus. After not playing at all for over 10 years, I picked back up the acoustic guitar about 2 years ago, and have been jamming with some guys locally. Finally bought an electric a few months back, and was looking for a multi-effects box to give me some versatility. A guy at the local mega-store suggested the FloorPOD.

Before I even got it out of the box, I read the first several pages of this review thread. THANK YOU!!! So much guidance in one place was way more than I expected. It really got me up to speed.

The thing that really struck me were your comments about the unit's ability to inspire. I have seen that firsthand. I am little more than a novice on the guitar, but the Floor POD has certainly taken my creativity up a notch. I understand it has it's limitations, but it seems perfect for where I am.

This past weekend, the band I jam with played a few sets at a youth conference. I debuted my electric, and my Floor POD. What a blast!!! It felt like a "coming of age". I'm anxious to keep learning more and more about what this thing can do, as I get better and better at my playing.

PS: Looking at a loop pedal next in the sub-$300 range. The forum search function here seems to be down. If you could point me to any good reviews, I'd appreciate it.

• Members

Craig,

That was a very informative review.

As more and more guitar gear becomes software based or software controlled, it becomes harder and harder to just 'try out' something in a store and get a real feel for what it can do, and how well it can do it.

Reviews such as this-a technically competent person who's also a musician-are just what's needed to sort through the new stuff coming out and avoid expensive disappointments in gear purchases.

Thanks!

Larry

• Members

I have a quick technical question: how exactly do you use the tap tempo on the Floor POD (I did say earlier that I was a novice at this stuff).

Do you just tap the button a few times at the tempo you want? Or is there something I'm missing? I tried this approach and the results were surprising. Maybe, I just have to get used to the "feel" of it.

Thanks, KW

Archived