Zoom R8 Recorder, Sampler, Interface, Controller

Anderton

• Members

Hello,

Can someone please help me?!

I just got the Zoom R-8, and cannot figure out how to record a drum track manually. All I could do was record an 8-bar beat (Snare, Kick and High hat) using the individual drum pads. I assigned this sequence to track 1, and then recorded guitar on track 2, bass guitar on 3, and a second guitar on 4. The 8-bar sequence just kept looping.

I would like to record a chorus sequence, maybe another 8-bars, and then place that on a separate track. Is this possible? The idea was that I would do the A-verse drums on one track, and the B-chorus on the other, eventually stitching them together on the master track.
I guess what I am asking is: from scratch, and step by step, how do I record a drum track for an entire song without playing every single beat?

I hope this is clear.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just happened upon this thread doing a search on Zoom R8 reviews, and SO glad I did! Great stuff! To the OP(hopefully he still stops by here), I was pleased to see you mention SONAR, since that's what I use. I didn't see any real talk on using it as a control surface, and was curious if you had done much of that(or anyone else who reads this). I specifically have SONAR X1 Producer Extended, in case that matters, and and thinking of upgrading to the new X2 they just launched.

I have a Tascam FW-1804 as my audio I/O right now, but I have been wanting a control surface for a while, and since this can also function as a porta-studio, I'm thinking of getting one.

Looking forward to any control surface feedback anyone can offer. Obviously, it's not going to compare with the higher-end dedicated control surfaces like the MCU Pro, etc, but the price and versatility are really appealing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by brento73

View Post

Just happened upon this thread doing a search on Zoom R8 reviews, and SO glad I did! Great stuff! To the OP (hopefully he still stops by here), I was pleased to see you mention SONAR, since that's what I use. I didn't see any real talk on using it as a control surface, and was curious if you had done much of that (or anyone else who reads this). I specifically have SONAR X1 Producer Extended, in case that matters, and and thinking of upgrading to the new X2 they just launched.

Yes, I still stop by smile.gif Right now I'm traveling, and don't have the R8 with me to offer more comments. I tested it as a control surface, and it does work, but a lot depends on how you want to use it. If your primary need is transport control, you're covered. But if you want to have simultaneous level and panning, you'd need something more like the Korg nanoKONTROL2, which has eight sliders and eight knobs. It's still not a high-end controller, but for $60, it's about the best bang for the buck, especially because there's a software editor that lets you re-assign controls for different applications.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

ie, can you create or load samples of differing lengths into it and then trigger/manipulate each via effects, etc?

it should have that capability, but I didn't see that particular functionality discussed....

if it doesn't, zoom might consider building such a device, esp w/ these effects....sorta like Kaossilator pro but not so limited in terms of 8 or 16 beats to a sample....

thanks
TM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Perhaps one more question regarding the Zoom unit...?? I have been everywhere trying to find an answer to something you may already know...Is there any compatibility issues with MAC-Lion or specifically back compatible USB 3.0....??

Barry

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
Perhaps one more question regarding the Zoom unit...?? I have been everywhere trying to find an answer to something you may already know...Is there any compatibility issues with MAC-Lion or specifically back compatible USB 3.0....??

Barry
Excellent question. My Mac is still on 10.6.8 so I guess I better upgrade so I can answer it...my understanding is that most USB 2.0 peripherals will work with 3.0, but I just heard from a friend whose son can't get a Gemini USB 2.0 DJ controller working with USB 3.0 on a MacBook Pro running Lion, so...I simply can't say for sure one way or the other.

• Members

I was going to GC tonight to buy the R8 based on your excellent review and that thought had crossed my mind...I have read the Presonus 22VSL and others and not playing nicely with 3.0, even tho it is supposed to be backward compatible...Which is why I was looking for something else (R8)...!! Otherwise Ill need to get a FireWire device...but it does seem the R8 fits the bill, simple recording of an electric acoustic and throwing in a drum beat !! Thanks..Barry

• Members

Happy to report the Zoom R8 works fine as a "Control Surface" with Studio One 2 and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 ....no issues with USB 3.0....of course I dont know what I'm doing yet, but managed to record about 5 minutes of Kashmir with a plugged in Acoustic....

Oh yea...Using a MacBook Pro 2012 summer version .....(Not Retina)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'm considering the R8 and I would be interested in hearing the sample MP3 files that you mention in this post ("So How Do he Built-In Mics Sound?"), but I'm not sure how to access them.  The file names seem not to be linked/clickable.  Is there a file upload area that I need to find?

Thanks for the in-depth review and photos of the unit.  Very useful.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I was looking for an all purpose looper and even though this is called a recorder, could it be used to jam along to onstage if it was on a stand so that you could reach the controls? If not maybe at band rehearsals or just jamming along to at home like a looper?

With the added bonus of being a recorder, audio interface,effects unit,,XLR and 1/4 inputs,SD card to save recordings or loops, i was wondering if this might be a better way to go than something like the other mainstream "loopers", or is it not a practical idea?

I like the idea of using it and an amp and nothing else in between except possibly another effects unit if really needed.

Thanks, hopefully this forum is still alive.

• Members

I think that you might find it useful if you wanted to play along with prerecorded tracks or loops. You could run your guitar through the R8 to process the signal at the same time. It's not clear to me how the unit could be used as a guitar looper. Although there is an jack to connect a footswitch, the footswitch can be assigned to one of several functions (Play/Stop, Play/Rewind, Punch In/Out, Effect Patch Select up or down) that are not specifically designed for live looping. I won't claim that it's impossible to do, because people often figure out how to do things that aren't described in the instruction manual. Maybe you could layer a series of loops by recording on different tracks and punching in and out -- but this would require button presses in addition to the footswitch. In other words, you wouldn't have the hands-free foot control that a looping unit would give you. Thus if you got an R8, you might be able to work out a method that gave you what you're looking for. But it would be an experiment, not something that you can count on in advance. You probably know that the Electro-Harmonix looper is set up like a multitrack recorder. At the other end of the spectrum, there are also simple and cheap options like the T.C. Electronics Ditto loop pedal, which has just one button and one knob. If you try live looping on the R8 and get results that you're pleased with, I'd be interested to hear back about the method that you come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Good evening. I just have a question.

Can you please teach or show me how to connect my AT2020 condenser mic to my zoom r8 and connect it as an interface to my laptop using reaper.

Im a newbie in terms of recording with DAW. I connected my mic to the r8 and plugged in my earphones and it work. I hear my voice from the mic to my earphones. But i cannot record anything in my reaper. It says no armed track. I dont know how to use that. Please help me with my problem. I really want to record with the mic i have and use that to record my voice and my piano.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I wish I'd read this review before buying the R8.  I would have been better informed.

So far I am pleased with the ease of use of the R8 as a standalone recorder, but now I have a serious problem and that is:   I cannot access files on the R8 from my Mac!  The Mac seems to provide enough power over the USB bus connection, but the R8 does not appear on my desktop.

I am running OS 10.7.  I would really appreciate help in getting the Zoom to appear on my Mac so I can copy my mix file over.

Thanks!

• 7 years later...

Archived