HELP with Peavey IRP-1600 Power Amp.

• Members

Or researching alternate parts/sources and wondering which vendors will be in business next week/month/year.

Oops, sorry AH, I deleted my prior post figuring others on here would not understand what I meant and what we are going through.

We no longer have time to design things because we have to redesign (to utilize parts we have), write ECNs, beg for parts, and explain to forums members why we are late shipping what we promised, etc.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just for an update since I am the OP.

I had the mod done to the 1600. It runs like a champ now.

I ran it with three other amps, mixer and rack gear plugged into the same outlet. No problem.

I also used it at a Birthday party. This was outside under a covered porch. No loud volumes required. It was almost 100 degrees out though. It ran for almost six hours straight no problems. The amp casing was not hot at all.

I use it almost daily.

Looks as though Peavey has fixed the issue. :cool:

Have to be careful though. If a puff of wind blows through it is so light it will end up in the Neighbors pool.:lol:

Love the weight, can't beat the price and the amps sounds GREAT.

If You are on the fence get one with the mod. You shouldn't be disappointed. Hope this helps.

Michael

• Members

:facepalm:

and cool looking shades to block those bright blue LEDs
:facepalm::cool:

They seem to be the style these days. Andy's GB Shuttle has them under the preamp tube so that it glows blue out the top of the amp. The ones in the front of it can be seen clearly in pics taken from a hundred feet away! Somehow I think that they wre not his idea though.......

• Members

I guess I'll give an update on mine as well...It went to Peavey, had the power cap mod done to it, worked for one gig, crapped out the next, so I tried to take it to an "authorized service center". They claimed that Peavey told them that they didn't want anyone working on it but them, so they sent it to Peavey. The idiots at the service center insisted they had to keep the work order, even though I told them I didn't buy it there. It said something about the MOSFETS needed replaced....anyway, it's worked for 3 gigs now, and sounds great! As long as it keeps working, I love the sound and the weight. Lightens up my amp rack a ton.

• Members

They seem to be the style these days. Andy's GB Shuttle has them under the preamp tube so that it glows blue out the top of the amp. The ones in the front of it can be seen clearly in pics taken from a hundred feet away! Somehow I think that they wre not his idea though.......

Some of us have to drink the retail marketing Kool-Aid even if it goes against our bland professional senses ;)

After all, these products are being sold into the retail market even though they have clearly professional roots and applications.

• Members

...something about the MOSFETS needed replaced.....

Thanks for the update mdd. MOSFET failures are so rare on these, our service center probably wanted to verify and make sure there wasn't an intermittent root cause. Likewise, being surface mount MOSFETs, they require special technique and good rework equipment to replace. Please don't be down on the repair center. Anything more than a simple fix is something we would like to see at the factory or in engineering. That's the best way to identify any failure patterns that need to be addressed.

• Members

Thanks for the update mdd. MOSFET failures are so rare on these, our service center probably wanted to verify and make sure there wasn't an intermittent root cause. Likewise, being surface mount MOSFETs, they require special technique and good rework equipment to replace. Please don't be down on the repair center. Anything more than a simple fix is something we would like to see at the factory or in engineering. That's the best way to identify any failure patterns that need to be addressed.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand that, and I'd rather send it to Peavey. Their turnaround times were much faster than I expected. The second time, I think it spent less time at Peavey than at the local service center. Very happy with Peavey's service center, in fact, I wish I would've just sent my gps 3500 there, instead of the local place. We're just a weekend warrior band, trying to keep repair costs down, and just shipping there and back would've been around $100 or more. I realize that in the end, we're probably shooting ourselves in the foot by doing what we did, because he doesn't understand how the thing works, and says he can't get anyone at Peavey to get back with him to explain it to him :facepalm:. We now have something in place that works so that we don't have to rent an amp all the time, but it'd still be nice to get it back. I'm half thinking of pulling it from there, and taking it to a guy I know that works on a lot of that kind of stuff, he just said he's really backed up. It's gonna take awhile either way

• Members

Very happy with Peavey's service center, in fact, I wish I would've just sent my gps 3500 there, instead of the local place.

The 3500 is easy to repair. It's a simple single two layer PCB with all through-hole components (old tech). They shouldn't have any problems fixing it. I'll remain semi-neutral on this one and let you make the call regarding pulling it out of the shop. Alternately, you can call our customer service and ask what to do. That should at least get attention :wave: and get our folks talking to their folks. :poke: ........ :thu:

• Members

The 3500 is easy to repair. It's a simple single two layer PCB with all through-hole components (old tech). They shouldn't have any problems fixing it. I'll remain semi-neutral on this one and let you make the call regarding pulling it out of the shop. Alternately, you can call our customer service and ask what to do. That should at least get attention
:wave:
and get our folks talking to their folks. :poke: ........
:thu:

Sounds like I might need to pull it outta there and get with someone who knows what they're doing

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi, just found this thread after googling about my amp cutting out. I bought 2 of these recently. At a gig on Saturday night and it was intermittantly cutting out. Unfortunately I hadn't taken a backup, so this gig was a total nightmare!

How long does this usually take for Peavey to fix? Anyone now a dealer near Watford?

• Members

My local authorized dealer repair shop had it for 4 weeks and did not do a dam thing to repair it. It took 3 weeks, including transit time, sending direct to Peavey. That was a year ago and the amp has never failed since.

• Members

OMG!! I contacted Peavey, but they told me that the problems here were only happening in US, something to do with the voltage difference.

However, they told me to send them direct to their service centre and they will test & fix, so fingers crossed :)

• 1 year later...

Archived