Advice on powered sub and main setup

• Members

Hit me with your thoughts if you don't mind.   For messing around I have some yamaha edrums as well as bass, guitar and vocals I bring into one  EV ZLX15 and it really actually sounds pretty damn good.

I picked up a EV ZXA1 12 inch sub to see what kind of difference it would make.  They show the preferred connection as mixing board to sub,  then to the main(s).  But with this setup I really have to hit it hard from the board.  I have the faders on the board for the diff instruments to -5db or so.  I have found if I Pre Fade everything I end up with the faders way down -20 or -30 and its hard to make fine adjustments from there.

Anyway I hooked this up the other way,  Board to zlx 15, then to the sub,  and it has more headroom and doesn't sound any different.  Bot setups I have the HPF engaged on the zlx box.

Also,  I have noticed that the the kick drum on some of the edrums kits will limit bot boxes pretty quick, but others you can dman near blow your head off with volume and not even a flicker of limiting.   I'll assume there must be something going on in the edrum brain there to affect the output.

Thoughts?   Thanks!

• Members

b_f_c_99 w 

Also,  I have noticed that the the kick drum on some of the edrums kits will limit bot boxes pretty quick, but others you can dman near blow your head off with volume and not even a flicker of limiting.   I'll assume there must be something going on in the edrum brain there to affect the output.

Thoughts?   Thanks!

If your drum brain is turning on the limiter lights then you need to back off on the main volume out on the drum brain providing your mixer trim pot set ideally to peak at 0dB but in the real world it's usually +3dB. 

Archived