Replacing my PA speakers with...

• Members

Well after figuring out the issue with old cheap speakers, I've decided I'm just going to replace them (I ran them for 10 years, got my money's worth). 

So I'm looking for recommendations.  I do a lot of duo acoustic stuff, but also use these with a full band (with Yamaha SW500 powered subs) to rooms anywhere from 20-100.  I have a Dynacord Powermate 1000 powered mixer that has been a champ.  I can't decide if I want to get more passives, or go the powered route, sell my Dynacord (that sucker's heavy!) and get a different mixer.

I've seached through a lot of threads on here and it seems that Yorkville's get a lot of love.  In looking for replacements, is there a line of Yorkville's you'd recommend (I'm going the used route, probably)?  Any to stay away from?  Yamaha Club series, maybe?

And are the powered Alto's crappy?  They are all kinds of affordable and tempting, but they have to be priced that way for a reason, right?  Are they at Behringer level, or a step above? 

I'm looking for reliable and decent sounding.  Not exactly playing the arena here.

• Members

We'll probably need more info. Your preferred budget, where you live, and what kind of band.

For instance, I live in BC Canada and have four Yorkville dealers close to me; the furthest being a 30 minute drive, the closest a 15 minute drive. These places also do onsite repairs, so does Yorkville make sense for me - yes pretty much. But you might live next door to an EV dealer, or maybe you're going to do this by shipping. Maybe your budget is tight and someone is selling a gently used pair of EV Sx300's for a great price, in that case I would stay passive and scoop them up. The again, maybe your band is going to expand and you'll need a whack of monitor mixes, so you'll need a new board anyway.

So it is really going to depend on your needs, your proximity to dealers and repair shops, your desire for a warranty, and on and on. Fill in the puzzle a bit, and I'm sure you'll get some solid suggestions.

• Members

I live in Memphis, TN. My band basically plays pop rock covers. We will most likely not expand and will stay at the same level we are. My budget is roughly $500, which is why I'm lookin in the used department. So, yes, the budget is tight.

• Members

I would just deal with what you have until you can really upgrade your speakers. If you do some searching you can probably find some used QSC (HPR or K series) or maybe some JBL PRX speakers for $1000 for the pair. Then save up some more for a sub.

• Members

I'll chime in... the MusicGoRound gave me $200 trade-in for the pair of SX200s that I had and sold them pretty quickly for $400. They also get SX300s in and sell them for $400-$600 depending on condition. I'd say anything south of $400 for a good pair is a good deal, especially if they come with covers/feet/etc.

Archived