JX10 does bass (would this be fat, punchy, both or none?)

grumphh

• Members

Since i don't know that much about newer synth music i ask this question... (i'm still stuck on TD's Rubicon :D )

I would love to hear your opinions, and of course i would love to hear your different examples of what you consider to be fat and punchy sounds produced with your different synths :)

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl63550/JX10-filterbass2.mp3

This sound is two saws (no sync/x-mod), both env's positive with minimum attack and short decays, and a slow LFO applied to the filter.

During the sequence i manipulate the resonance from somewhere in the middle and upwards and back all the way down.

EDIT: New clips:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl63550/JX10-filterbassSaw.mp3

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl63550/JX10-filterbassSaw2.mp3

• Members

Fedt, en dansker. :) Hej

Id say it's more punchy than fat but its not thin at all. It just doesnt have that much lowend (well, when the reso is at zero it does some). I really like it's charakter. Always wanted a MKS70.

Check out this SH101 seq: http://www.sequencer.de/mp/env_filter_sh101.mp3

That got some more lowend and fast envs so I would say thats its both fatter and more punchy.

• Members

yup, there are a few more on the board, as you can see :)

And i see/hear what you mean about the extra low end that the SH101 has - interesting :)

Oh, and BTW i have an extra JX10 if you are interested :D :D

Please, people bass clips, more bass clips - is this a synth forum or what? :p

• Members

Jeg kender godt Rasmus og Morten; havde bare ikke lige set at du var fra dk, grumphh. :)

Originally posted by grumphh

Oh, and BTW i have an extra JX10 if you are interested
:D

Really? But I don't really have enough space for another big keyboard. Thats why Im more interested in the MKS70. They are just a bit pricey, imo, and i just spent money on a SH101 and some monitors (yeeehaaaw!:)

• Members

I may be wrong, but perhaps could you get more bass if one of the oscillators was set to square pulse instead of sawtooth. Add some PWM, tweak the filter and you're done.

I once had a D-110 that was good enough at this. :o

If I'm not mistaken, this SH-101 example is a square pulse. Sounds bassy for a single osc synth, indeed.

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

"I'm feeling fat and bassy!"

Er, yeah; or something....

*LOL* I got the impression that you are the "resident Yamaha freak"? ;)

Shouldn't you have access to/own some of the classic CS's then?

Clips clips clips :D

• Members

Originally posted by poumtschak

I may be wrong, but perhaps could you get more bass if one of the oscillators was set to square pulse instead of sawtooth. Add some PWM, tweak the filter and you're done.

I once had a D-110 that was good enough at this.
:o

If I'm not mistaken, this SH-101 example is a square pulse. Sounds bassy for a single osc synth, indeed.

I tried yesterday to see if i could get closer to the 101 sound with the JX (including the different waveforms), but as soon as the resonance is turned up it looses some low end. As you can hear in the end of the clip, it has plenty of bass as soon as the res goes down :)

I have a DW8000 as well, that does exactly the same, only more exaggerated - and i think that it might be a precaution against blowing bass speakers with a too loud sinewave when the filter oscillates at low cutoff frequencies or something. Or it might just be an 80's thing?

Thx for the tip though :)

• Members

*LOL* I got the impression that you are the "resident Yamaha freak"?
;)
Shouldn't you have access to/own some of the classic CS's then?

Clips clips clips

Ha ha if only. I only have a few modern pieces of Yammy gear... none of the old classics. I sure wouldn'd mind a CS of some sort.

I'm also not so devoted to Yamaha that I wouldn't like to have an Ion or a Nord Mod G2X. ;)

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by poumtschak

I think it's 100% saw, 50%square and 100% -1 oct. sub. I'll check when I get home.

About emulating SH101. It might be hard on most synths because the saw and square-wave comes from the same osc on the 101 so the phase of each wave starts at the same point. Thats why it sounds so solid. I dont know if you can mix waves from the same osc on the JX10.

ps: the 101 also loses alot of low end when turning the resonance up. Most filter does this.

• Members

Originally posted by morten'J

If you are after soundclips of other Vintage-synths then

http://www.bluesynths.com

is a good site the is CS 40m,CS 60 and CS 80 and also my favourit Elka Synthex.

Thx - i already know that site, and for me it is annoying, because i have to download the clips before my mediaplayer will play them (usually it plays mp3's just fine while getting them...).

And the sounds on that site are IMO more meant to demonstrate the strengths of the synths - not so bass orientated :)

AvS and no - the JX has separate oscillators and no subs... but i guess that could be faked by playing a performance where one of the two patches works as a suboscillator - but the lack of memory (only 50 user patches) is fairly limiting when it comes down to create composite sounds like this...

• Members

Please, people bass clips, more bass clips - is this a synth forum or what?
:p

OK, i took the bait; here's couple of clips i made with MKS70 and A6:

JX10-PercBass with it's "spongy" attack, the fastest you can get - that's why JX cant do really cutting sequencer/arpeggio lines. The resonance attenuation is there too, but i adore that filter anyway!!

JX10-CelloOrch dark, ominous bass, more characteristic for JX (4 osc sound plus it's played in octaves)

A6-SnickBass - a sound i did with two filters. 12dB for percusiveness and bottom, and self-oscillating 24dB for "sting and squeak". A6 specialty.

A6-DataDriftX2 - edited preset; sequence shows the agressive side of SEM 12dB filter. Helped by a 24dB in notch mode.

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

OK, i took the bait; here's couple of clips i made with MKS70 and A6

No bait at all, i am truly interested in hearing different synths "clean", i.e. not in the context of a piece of music. :)

And i am grateful that you took the time to do these - now if i could ask you to present that MKS 80 (that i believe you have) in this way too, i'd be really happy. I really would like to hear what that fabled Jupiter sound is about :)

I ask this, because i am a guitarist and never have played around with different synths in depth, so i try to learn about the sounds they can make and the differences in their quality.

About the A6 sounds - personally i did not like the high frequency content in the "SnickBass" sound (a taste thing i guess) but loved the "DataDrift" - did you put that through some sort of distortion, or is that the synth itself?

• Members

now if i could ask you to present that MKS 80 (that i believe you have) in this way too, i'd be really happy. I really would like to hear what that fabled Jupiter sound is about
:)
... loved the "DataDrift" - did you put that through some sort of distortion, or is that the synth itself?

my MKS80 is still travelling the ocean from US to Croatia. I've been playing a while with my friends MKS80, but i dont have it in the studio right now.

DataDriftX2 - i got the grit just with filters, and gain staging; which is very important in A6. By changing pre-filter osc levels and post-filter/pre-vca levels you can go from Roland-like softness towards Prophet/Memorymoog dirt. It's a small history of analogics in one board. :D

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

my MKS80 is still travelling the ocean from US to Croatia. I've been playing a while with my friends MKS80, but i dont have it in the studio right now.

DataDriftX2 - i got the grit just with filters, and gain staging; which is very important in A6. By changing pre-filter osc levels and post-filter/pre-vca levels you can go from Roland-like softness towards Prophet/Memorymoog dirt. It's a small history of analogics in one board.

I envy you, i think... :D

Thx for that info :)

And bump! - There must be more people that can do some analogue basses??? :p

• Members

Originally posted by AvS

About emulating SH101. It might be hard on most synths because the saw and square-wave comes from the same osc on the 101 so the phase of each wave starts at the same point. Thats why it sounds so solid. I dont know if you can mix waves from the same osc on the JX10.

actually you can do it on JX engine; assign one osc to SAW , the other osc to SQUA, and use osc SYNC to force it's phase together with the first osc. Use mixer for setting relative levels and you're set. Use the same ENV for both filter and amp. If u want "sub" octave, u can do it with osc1 set to SQUA and -1oct, sync1 of osc2 set to SAW (or whatever) - theoretically youre syncing your SAW every other cycle since the source is octave below, but since these are DCOs, in practice it works perfect.

Originally posted by AvS

ps: the 101 also loses a lot of low end when turning the resonance up. Most filter does this.

That's true, many filters (but not all) have this behaviour, even the "Famous" Moog transistor ladder. IR3R05 Roland VCF / VCA chip (used in JX8P, JX10, MKS70 and MKS80 Ver5) has this anomaly even more pronounced than the others.

Some examples of filters that have a circuit that retains the level with rising resonance; Prophet5 v3 with CEM chips. Prophet5 v2 with SSM chips , and OB stuff with SEM filters. Thats why they sound so agressive when using resonance sounds.

Originally posted by Grumphh

i'm still stuck on TD's Rubicon

hey, when i bought my JX10 in '88, Rubycon/Stratosfear we're the very first sounds i was trying to immitate.

• Members

Anyone else with an Sh101? About that clip i posted before - I think they might have boosted the low end because mine sure hasn't got that much lowend at all. Might be my crappy cables and mixer but I'm not sure if you can loose that much low end just because of that...? (hosa + behringer)

Anyway the low end on the Sh101 is just right so with a little bit of eq'ing it can sound mighty fine.

• Members

Originally posted by AvS

Anyone else with an Sh101? About that clip i posted before - I think they might have boosted the low end because mine sure hasn't got that much lowend at all. Might be my crappy cables and mixer but I'm not sure if you can loose that much low end just because of that...? (hosa + behringer)

Anyway the low end on the Sh101 is just right so with a little bit of eq'ing it can sound mighty fine.

That is part of the reason why i am asking for clips made by forumites - because i would trust you to actually record the instrument "as is" - whereas most of the soundbites i have heard on the net involved some sort of post processing... And i guess we all know what that can do to a sound.

Please, pretty please - more raw clips :D

• Members

Just made a few more JX bass clips - and apparently less is more :)

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl63550/JX10-filterbassSaw.mp3

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl63550/JX10-filterbassSaw2.mp3

Both of these were made with one saw osc only - and to me they seem bassier than the previous ones with two osc's... Oh well, so now i have learned that.

And of course you are still welcome to show off your analogue basses...

Archived