E-Mu Rom Question

seratone

• Members

The problem with all emu sounds is that it lacks balls. They either punchy and thin or big but lowend-free. Always very cheap-sounding. Try to bury them in the mix if you don't want to be ashamed. All are rough, dull and lack glance.

My rating for those emu roms I have:

XL1 - 7/10

PPhatt - 3/10

Techno - 2/10

Composer - 5/10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by SweetAlien

The problem with all emu sounds is that it lacks balls. They either punchy and thin or big but lowend-free. Always very cheap-sounding. Try to bury them in the mix if you don't want to be ashamed. All are rough, dull and lack glance.

XL1 - 7/10

PPhatt - 3/10

Techno - 2/10

Composer - 5/10

Hey, dems fightin' words! Meet you on the marsh--we'll fight n' squarsh tadpoles. :)

Seriously, I have always felt the opposite. It is the slick, efx/reverb laden Korg/Roland/Yamaha sounds that lack balls, and the all American, red-blooded, he-man E-mu sounds that have them. The Phatt ROM has extremely ballsy D & B, can't believe you give them a "3". The original Composer ROM may be a "5" by today's standards, but the reworked PK-6/Proteus 2500/Proteus Pop Collection ROM is an 8--a very fine bread and butter collection.

And Paul White, the editor of Sound On Sound, agrees with me, so nyeah nyeah. :p As does Craig Anderton. :p [beats chest, covorts in hog farm with Dimwit Dubya].

• Members

I agree Birdie, it seems that the dividing line in opinion between those who like EMU sounds and those who don't runs parallel to their willingness (and ability?) to dig into the engine and do some tweaking.

If you are a "presets only" kinda player the EMU engine is wasted on you. It's like buying a 141 piece toolkit when all you need is a screwdriver. The basic sounds on the ROMS are tailored for tweaking, so each musician can hone them as he sees fit, rather than taking a "what you see is what you get" approach.

In the end it depends on your priorities as a player, but if you are truly willing to put some effort into sound design, the EMU's are the way to go, soundwise, feature wise, and pricewise.

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

I agree Birdie, it seems that the dividing line in opinion between those who like EMU sounds and those who don't runs parallel to their willingness (and ability?) to dig into the engine and do some tweaking.

If you are a "presets only" kinda player the EMU engine is wasted on you. It's like buying a 141 piece toolkit when all you need is a screwdriver. The basic sounds on the ROMS are tailored for tweaking, so each musician can hone them as he sees fit, rather than taking a "what you see is what you get" approach.

In the end it depends on your priorities as a player, but if you are truly willing to put some effort into sound design, the EMU's are the way to go, soundwise, feature wise, and pricewise.

Bless you my son. :)

• Members

Sinner6 said:

...it seems that the dividing line in opinion between those who like EMU sounds and those who don't runs parallel to their willingness (and ability?) to dig into the engine and do some tweaking.

fair call, +1... :D

that said, as PCM-based synths go, the modern E-mus do have a

• Members

Ok, emu defenders ;) show me what you consider to be cool and balsy sounds. Support your words with real examples. In other words - mp3s, please... If you have any Emu-dominated track, please let me (us) judge it. Especially, Birdie, I'd like to hear what you can do with those IMHO clownish Pure Phatt sounds... :)

• Members

XL1 - 7/10

PPhatt - 3/10

Techno - 2/10

Composer - 5/10

am i the only one on this planet that likes the TeCn0 rom? its my 2nd favorite rom after the XROM

its programmed very well, and most of the rom's sounds have a smoothness that mixes well. The only complaint i have about the TeCn0 rom is that the sample set is pretty small. It's like the same presets over and over throughout the banks.

• Members

Especially, Birdie, I'd like to hear what you can do with those IMHO clownish Pure Phatt sounds...
:)

Although I've produced and arranged profes. for others and make my living doing music notation in Hollyweird, I'm just a private kind of guy with my own stuff up to now--I don't post it online (yet; perhaps in a few years). I am pathologically shy and have mental problems but am slowly crawling out of my shell with the help of analysis and meds. I will, however, quote from that preeminent publication, Sound On Sound:

Emu's Mo'Phatt is a stunningly impressive piece of studio gear...Considerable emphasis has been placed on the drum kits, which include gargantuan big-beat bass drums, realistic live snares, processed analogue beatboxes, and what has to be the largest and finest collection of vinyl scratching ever assembled in a synthesizer. The basses are equally impressive, comprising a wealth of live slapped and picked electrics, acoustic double basses, and the more familiar warm and sizzling synth basses. Emu's almost legendary filter prowess (the Mo'Phatt offers 50 different 12th-order resonant and modelling filters) is particularly noticeable on the pad and string sounds. Like most of Mo'Phatt's sounds, these are unlikely to win any sonic realism awards but should be right in line for the Oscar for 'Authentic Sounds With Soul & Attitude'.

emump7xl74.gif

• Members

Originally posted by isosceles

am i the only one on this planet that likes the TeCn0 rom? its my 2nd favorite rom after the XROM

its programmed very well, and most of the rom's sounds have a smoothness that mixes well. The only complaint i have about the TeCn0 rom is that the sample set is pretty small. It's like the same presets over and over throughout the banks.

Rob Papen programmed it (Albino 2 has just been released). Not too shabby. ;)

• Members

Sheesh! It figures a good E-Mu thread pops up when I get locked out from my work PC! :mad: I'd have given my $.02 a long time ago!

I have a B-3 module w/a vintage ROM, and an XL-1 module w/a Pure Phatt ROM. I love 'em all. I probably don't have as discriminating tastes as others, but I'm still happy! I use the B-3/Vintage combination mostly live (I just put together a Paia Tube Head preamp, and am using it exclusively for my E-Mu B3 box! SWEETNESS!) and I use the XL-1/Mo'Phatt mainly for messing around with recording. (Not that I'm above using the B-3 for recording, mind you!)

The B-3 is great for what I needed it for. The sounds are awesome and plentiful. True, the cross-phasing to the Leslie isn't realistic, but in a live environment at a bar or wherever, it's barely noticeable. The synth, bass & tron sounds with the Vintage are sweet, but most of the electric pianos, as mentioned above, are just too darn quiet. You have to bang on the keys to get a decent sound from them. :mad: (The clav is a bit better.)

I like the sounds of both the X-Lead & the Pure Phatt; the ARP & Beats mode are awesome.

I bought the Vintage ROM directly from E-mu when they cut the prices, but used eBay to get the Pure Pahtt ROM.

I haven't been to eBay lately, but there were a ton of ZR ROMS there just a few weeks ago. (Utilze the "Buy Now" feature.) I see you all ready ordered yours, seratone. Congrats!

It's such a shame, IMHO, E-Mu's discontinuing their hardware line. I'd love to get a 2500 & fill it up, but the timing for me is bad right now, which is a shame as I probably won't ever find this equipment at a better price...

Anyway, my $.02.

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

Although I've produced and arranged profes. for others and make my living doing music notation in Hollyweird, I'm just a private kind of guy with my own stuff up to now--I don't post it online (yet; perhaps in a few years). I am pathologically shy and have mental problems but am slowly crawling out of my shell with the help of analysis and meds. I will, however, quote from that preeminent publication, Sound On Sound:

]

Chicken... :rolleyes::D

So you cant back up your words... I knew it... Words without proof worth nothing, you know. I don't care about what Paul says. He ain't producing Charts Top10 songs, so we may discard his opinion on synths. Besides he usually likes all of them. He even likes Alesis QS synths... :D One thing is to judge synth on its single sounds, completely another is to judge them by how well they add a quality to your music.

I use Pure Phatt only for drums and percussion. Some usefull sounds in that section - that's why I gave it 3. But except drums (and basses maybe) there are no useful sounds in there - mostly a retarted dorky beeps and pukes.

Techno ROM got 2 because that's how many sounds I used from it since I got it 3 years ago. :D

XL is good for adding some (lots in fact) experimental romplish soft-synth sounds...

Composer is all-arounder, crappy, but nonetheless somewhat usefull. As a tuny chip of spice butried in your big dish.

• Members

i have to agree that the p2k synths have a certain tone to them, like it or hate it. I personally like the tone, it makes my mixes sound frosty.

the first thing emu users say ( and they say it a lot ), is you gotta program your own sounds on the emu synths to make them sound good. They say this a lot because it happens to be true. All it takes is 5 mins to come up with something that sounds 10x better than a preset.

• Members

I guess I didn't get it....

I sold my PK6 to get an XP30. For live use it just couldn't keep up. With headphones the PK6 sounded good but through a PA it was almost as if they had no prescence. And this was with the Velocity set high. The presets lacked punch, sounding very dry and very dull, and worse it was very noisy (a light but distinct static was present when changing some patches). Sound after sound was very reptitious. Overall I was disappointed although I do understand I left alot on the table by not digging into the presets. I would have lived with the board as is if some of the editing menus were accessible on the boards surface. There is no denying that EMU's series of synths are extremely powerful, however most of that power is locked inside menu after menu. Cool for sound design, bad for live performance. Even as straightforward as the menu was I found myself crosseyed trying to accomplish some simple tasks. But hey, for $400 you can't expect the world.

Down the road I might pick up a PX7 and try some of the roms (as long as they are being produced). I'm definately interested in exploring what I missed. But in a club, through a PA it just lacked depth (or balls as some have put it).

• Members

Chicken...
:rolleyes::D
So you cant back up your words... I knew it... Words without proof worth nothing, you know.

I am sorry that I will not beat my chest and go mano on mano with you in a mudwrestling contest. As a pro, I have nothing to prove to you. Actually, even if music were just my hobby, I would still have nothing to prove, because:

The purpose of a specified-topic forum like KSS is the free sharing of information with a certain amount of trust. Because it's anonymous, people can ask questions without feeling stupid and provide friendly advice that can be taken with a grain of salt. You don't have to believe anything I say. Perhaps I'm lying. Perhaps I'm a Japanese Sumo Wrestler, not an experienced musician. But even if I was an amateur, on a specified-topic forum there is mutual cordiality and respect. You are free to disagree with anyone's opinions here of course, but save your macho bull{censored} for OJ, please. :)

"Words without proof"? This is an anonymous forum. All we have here are words, and all things pass into mystery. :)

Archived