Enter The Ds Challenge!!

• Members
Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

my music is just for fun and well probably not that good as well.

DOH!! I just said my musics crap in a thread reviewing a song of mine.. WTF is wrong with me. LOL!

what can i say i must be "special" :rolleyes:

Any chance i can get these two messages striken from the record?

eric

• Members

Challenger # 3

Tai Mai Shus

Track: Dead alive

a) Facts

From the very beginning, it wasn't hard to anticipate that this would be an electronic chill-out, ambient kinda number. Starts out with what sounds to me like a bit of a muffled piano-bell-koto -mixture, and then some very cool synth with loadsa delay. The voice samples tell the story, which I'm guessing are from movies. I thought I heard Susan Sarandon, but I might be wrong. Structurally it is exactly like the genre dictates, so no surprises there. Though this is the kind of music that may not necessarily benefit from surprises anyway. Filtered beats throughout!

b) Feelings

Chill out does exactly what it says on the tin (provided it's quality chill out). Sit or lie back, your heart rate will slow down and your mind will relax. You can concentrate on one single thing with depth and clarity, instead of the usual hulabaloo that's taking place in our minds (or at least mine). You might even fall asleep, which to me, is always a good thing (if that wasn't evident fom my moniker :) )
It's soothing and pleasant. I don't know if the voice samples were trying to make a statement. Perhaps in the vein of "forget money, forget these other things. Look at what you have. Take life as it is. " The message is good, but I'm not much for making statements with music, so.... But maybe you weren't trying to say anything, who knows...

c) FYI

I've been listening to chill out for quite a while, so this was right up my alley. It sounds like a simplified "Deviant Electronics", which is a british artist that I like a lot. I would suggest anyone into this music to familiarize themselves with him. The structure is very simple and straightforward, just like it is supposed to be. I think this is an excellent piece. There's nothing grandiose or el fantastico about it, but it just works exactly like it's supposed to.

To conclude, I actually can't think of anything I'd like to see different in this track. I think it's spot on. I would buy your album if it was filled with this stuff. You kept it simple, and it's great.

Thanks Tai Mai Shus

:)

• Members

Challenger # 4

Boom

Track: Hypertone driving

a) Facts

Throughout the track a synth chord lays down the foundation. It is accompanied with delayed percussion and some filtered beats. Then main melody is played on an ac. guitar-like tone with lots of reverb. Towards the end this melody is reinforced with a piano and a flute as well.

b) Feelings

This sounds a little like an electronic ballad to me. It's slightly melancholic and feels as it "longs" or "waits" for something. Maybe it's missing an old friend or whatever. I think it is emotional and moving, and it makes you hope for a happy ending.

c) FYI

I like this tune. It has a nice progression and build up throughout. The beats are clear and sharp, although I would've liked to see a little more variety, maybe a fill or two. The filtering does keep it alive, but I think something could be added. Some congas or other percusison might also do something to fill up the rhythm department. I liked the nice change at 2:12, though this section could've used some more aggressive beats to contrast the mild nature of the rest of the tune. I don't know, maybe this piece is too straight forward. The same mood reigns throughout, but maybe that's how Boom intended it.

To conclude, I do like the mood, because it is similar to the moods that I myself use in some of my slower tracks. And listening to it 3 times back-to-back did not tire me out, as it is a pleasant track and i would find it hard to imagine anyone saying: "Ough, turn this off. It's killing me!"

Nice work man! Thanks.

• Members

Challenger # 5

Zone Ahead

Track: (too cryptic to write out)

a) Facts

Starts out with a bit of psychedelic acid craziness. Then a 303 like acid bassline takes control and pretty much chugs forward in slightly varied guises throughout the track. This morphing bassline is accompanied by occasional synth arpeggios and other lead and pad sounds here and there. The drums sound like 808 kick and 909 snare and the famous '909 zap

• Members

Super-Challenge conclusion!

Thanks for all who submitted their tracks. It's not always straightforward and easy to bare yourself like that, but on the internet I guess it takes some of the edge off, 'cos who knows what kind off dickhead is over here judging your hard work. :D

I wasn't going to make this into a competition, which it ain't by no means, but I do want to give big ups to those who impressed me. Neole - I think your track shows lots of talent and ability to write vocal melody. Great stuff. Tai Mai - nice, simple, works!
Boom - great mood. Beautiful might be two strong, but very pretty nonetheless.

Thanks ya'll!

• Members

Originally posted by DeepSleeper

To conclude, I didn't like it at all. Someone else might though...

Thanks Zone ahead

hey that's cool man. I actually was hoping to hear some criticism like this. you pretty much pointed out what i had expected. thanks for listenting. i appreciate your comments.

• Members

Challenger # 4

Boom

Track: Hypertone driving

a) Facts

Throughout the track a synth chord lays down the foundation. It is accompanied with delayed percussion and some filtered beats. Then main melody is played on an ac. guitar-like tone with lots of reverb. Towards the end this melody is reinforced with a piano and a flute as well.

b) Feelings

This sounds a little like an electronic ballad to me. It's slightly melancholic and feels as it "longs" or "waits" for something. Maybe it's missing an old friend or whatever. I think it is emotional and moving, and it makes you hope for a happy ending.

c) FYI

I like this tune. It has a nice progression and build up throughout. The beats are clear and sharp, although I would've liked to see a little more variety, maybe a fill or two. The filtering does keep it alive, but I think something could be added. Some congas or other percusison might also do something to fill up the rhythm department. I liked the nice change at 2:12, though this section could've used some more aggressive beats to contrast the mild nature of the rest of the tune. I don't know, maybe this piece is too straight forward. The same mood reigns throughout, but maybe that's how Boom intended it.

To conclude, I do like the mood, because it is similar to the moods that I myself use in some of my slower tracks. And listening to it 3 times back-to-back did not tire me out, as it is a pleasant track and i would find it hard to imagine anyone saying: "Ough, turn this off. It's killing me!"

Nice work man! Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!

Listen closer, there are some synthetic (FM7) congas in there, but I guess I mixed them to low. lol

• Members

Neole - I think your track shows lots of talent and ability to write vocal melody.

Thanks DS! I really appreciate that as Ive been working hard on getting my vocal based 'pop' songs right.

• Members

Laptop speakers, dude!

Hang on a minute.
I've read through this thread thinking - 'well yeah kind of interesting. i'd like to have this guy's opinion on one of my tracks'. And then you go and say you listened to it on laptop speakers?

Now, I've been using laptops for a while now with work. I've had about 3 different models, compaq, toshiba, ibm. And I can honestly say that the sound quality on all of them has been diabolical. I've tried playing some of my own music to folks at work on a laptop before, but stopped playback after about 1 minute and said 'here take the CD home instead' because the sound was almost insulting. I think its a bit poor to try & give reviews to people when using such a system. If you're going to do it properly, surely you've got to pass the sound by some monitors.

Flame me if you dont agree folks, but what the point of reviews like these when the reviewer isn't going to be able to hear half the bass, dynamics, reverb tails or detail of the music provided?

• Members
Originally posted by benskia

... what the point of reviews like these when the reviewer isn't going to be able to hear half the bass, dynamics, reverb tails or detail of the music provided?

Because all that's left is the song.

And, ladies and gentlemen, that's what's important. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Jeah, Jeez. I know that's v. important.
I also know that ir's really kind of DS to put in all this time and effort helping people out and all.
But, I just think that his efforts would have been better spent if he'd listened on a better system.

On his opening post, he says he'll comment on:

'a) fact - what is sounds like, what instruments / noises are audible, the structure'

Might be a bit hard to give an in-depth review of these through listening on laptop speakers eh?

• Members

Challenger # 3

Tai Mai Shus

Track: Dead alive

c) FYI

I've been listening to chill out for quite a while, so this was right up my alley. It sounds like a simplified "Deviant Electronics", which is a british artist that I like a lot. I would suggest anyone into this music to familiarize themselves with him. The structure is very simple and straightforward, just like it is supposed to be. I think this is an excellent piece. There's nothing grandiose or el fantastico about it, but it just works exactly like it's supposed to.

To conclude, I actually can't think of anything I'd like to see different in this track. I think it's spot on. I would buy your album if it was filled with this stuff. You kept it simple, and it's great.

Thanks Tai Mai Shus

Thanks D.S. for the listen and the kind review. I found it helpful. :) Thanks as well for the heads up on Deviant Electronics, i will have to look into them. I'm always looking for some new music. Oh and the womans voice is frances mcdormand for those keeping scorecards. :)

eric

• Members

Hang on a minute.

I've read through this thread thinking - 'well yeah kind of interesting. i'd like to have this guy's opinion on one of my tracks'. And then you go and say you listened to it on laptop speakers?

Now, I've been using laptops for a while now with work. I've had about 3 different models, compaq, toshiba, ibm. And I can honestly say that the sound quality on all of them has been diabolical. I've tried playing some of my own music to folks at work on a laptop before, but stopped playback after about 1 minute and said 'here take the CD home instead' because the sound was almost insulting. I think its a bit poor to try & give reviews to people when using such a system. If you're going to do it properly, surely you've got to pass the sound by some monitors.

Flame me if you dont agree folks, but what the point of reviews like these when the reviewer isn't going to be able to hear half the bass, dynamics, reverb tails or detail of the music provided?

Bensky - you evidently didn't read the whole thread, because you missed my disclaimer, which I posted. All who entered KNEW that my sound system would not deliver the true sonic picture. However, I can get a pretty good image of the compositional picture, which was my aim, and which Jeez kindly noticed too!

"

Before I start this, here's a few 'editor's notes' before I post my first review.

Unfortunately, I can only listen to these through my built in laptop speakers. Consequently, bass tones will not bust through as they should, moreover, trying to get a good picture of the whole stereo image is a bit of a task. However, I'm still a complete novice when it comes to mixing / mastering, so my opinions regarding EQ levels or the compression on the snare ain't gonna be worth diddly, so I won't even bother. My aim is to concentrate mainly on the structure and composition of the piece, and what feelings it conjures up in me.

Here we go!

"

• Members

oh yeah.
i missed that bit.
Still cant see how its gonna help much, if you cant hear the tracks in all their full glory.

It's like getting an art critique to review some paintings and then him saying, 'oh by the way, i've not got my glasses with me, so i'm going to comment in general on the blurry image i can make out through this foggy haze in front of my eyes'.

• Members

oh yeah.

i missed that bit.

Still cant see how its gonna help much, if you cant hear the tracks in all their full glory.

It's like getting an art critique to review some paintings and then him saying, 'oh by the way, i've not got my glasses with me, so i'm going to comment in general on the blurry image i can make out through this foggy haze in front of my eyes'.

1. I'm not a music critic and no one is paying me or "getting me to review" {censored}

2. This whole shebang is completely optional - free willy, dude!

3. Your painting analogy is not quite correct because IMHO I can actually see the whole picture quite well. I might miss some of the nuances and subtelties at the edges, but I definitely DO get the central gist of the piece, which is enough for a review on composition, structure and mood.

Thank god humans can disagree with eachother. :D

Peace

• Members

sweet.

peace 2.

btw...hope this doesn't discount me from any of your next review sessions.

:D

I only discount assholes! Or...ummm...come to think of it, assholes can just pass, but cocksuckers!! If you're a cocksucker, you can just forget about it man! :D

These super-Challenges are sort of like comets. They come around every now and again. I hereby pass the super-Challenge torch to the next volunteer.

Acually, once I've got something decent down from my new bedroom studio, I'll turn things around. It'll be the super-Challenger thread. I'll post my own tune, and challenge everyone to rip it apart or praise it to high heavens. Good stuff!

Peace

Archived