Enter The Ds Challenge!!

• Members

Listen up, fair ladies and *well hung gentleman,

I'm laying down a challenge for HC members. The fastest 5 HC members (first come, first serve) will be accepted to participate:

Post your best track (any genre, any tempo), and I will listen to it thoroughly and honestly!! DO NOT give me ANY prior information regarding the genre or sounds / equipment used. Just post the one that you feel 'best' about, without any background info or explanation. I will take the time to check them out (playing each back numerous times if necessary) and I will give an in depth review of all the tracks. The reviews will consist of:

a) fact - what is sounds like, what instruments / noises are audible, the structure

b) feeling - what emotions / vibes / atmospheres are present?

c) FYI - what do I think of it?

Although this is a DS -challenge, I'm inviting EVERYONE to do the same. I'm sure the 5 lucky participants would enjoy getting in depth reviews from as many people as possible. Keeping that in mind, please refrain from "sounds cool to me" -one liners that will clutter up my very own super-CHALLENGE -thread. :)

The challenge has been set, now all you need to do is accept it and step up to the plate! Show us your best {censored}! :cool:

Peace

*small units may enter just the same ;)

• Members

Thanks for the great offer DeepSleeper.

I would like to offer a song that is not exactly my best but quite possibly the one I've put the most time and effort into (and there are others I cant post for copyright reasons). I would appreciate some constructive criticism on it and any tips on improving it. The mp3 has half a minute of empty space at the end by mistake.

Here

• Members

Before I start this, here's a few 'editor's notes' before I post my first review.

Unfortunately, I can only listen to these through my built in laptop speakers. Consequently, bass tones will not bust through as they should, moreover, trying to get a good picture of the whole stereo image is a bit of a task. However, I'm still a complete novice when it comes to mixing / mastering, so my opinions regarding EQ levels or the compression on the snare ain't gonna be worth diddly, so I won't even bother. My aim is to concentrate mainly on the structure and composition of the piece, and what feelings it conjures up in me.

Here we go!

• Members

Okay okay... instead of seeming a blowhard on here, I actually write music. Here's my entry for evisceration.

Quick notes though: This was just converted from Logic 3 to Logic 5, and not remixed. The levels are off, but it should give you the gist of the song. On top of that, there's supposed to be guitars + vocals on the song, but I haven't gone into the studio to lay down the vocals or guitars.

I think this is my best work because it's my most emotional (that I'm planning on publishing), and that it's my most refined song.

Hope I made #5. :-)

• Members

Challenger # 1

Neole

Track: MeraPiya

a) Facts

The first ac. guitar chords give away the mid-eastern/indian theme, which is further reinforced by the Tabla coming in soon after. The vocals are probably from a sample CD or other. The percussion is layered further with soft snare sounds and hi hats + tambourines. There are probably many instruments in the background that I don't know the name of, but there's some plucked instrument that sounds like a sitar/guitar hybrid and also some strings.

Structurally, it is quite 'flat', which makes it hard to tell whether your in the beginnig, middle or end, and due to the fact that the different parts maintain a very uniform vibe throughout.

b) Feelings

This might be a little biased since I'm very partial to world and ethnic flavors, but I immediately caught on to this piece. It's got quite a happy and uplifting vibe, which sounds to me like a fusion between Turkish pop and Indian Classical. It's not quite fast enough to be exstatic and joyous, but more of a sunday afternoon "climbin' on toppa da hill" joy. It's a bit of an effort and you'll break some sweat, but leaves you feeling content in the end. I liked the transition at 2:46 particularly, as it really caught my attention, and made da head bops' a bit.

c) FYI

Like I said, I immediately liked this. Especially the vocals, damn, I love them. The chorus or whatever (Vocals go: "...eeezaaa iiiwoooo".....or sumtin) is lovely, the hook is there baby. Good use of sound effects and background mutterings as well, which fills up the track nicely.

Constructive comments:

The high-end percussion (hats, tambourine, cymbals...??..) sounded a little harsh and cluttered to me. It could be the laptop speakers mind you, but I felt the track could do with more space in that department. I would ease off the hats/cymbals (and other rattlers) and possibly add some subtle hand percussion to complement the tabla.

Structurally, I would cut out the 8 bar segment between 00:09 - 00:19. I think the intro would work better without this segment, but that is only IMHO. I also think the transition at 00:57 coud be done smoother, maybe extend it by 4 bars. Also, the track could maybe do with a crash/splash cymbal, but only here and there, maybe to help with the transitions etc...

To conclude, it's quite an intensive piece with many sections, though there is repetition, obviously. I would like to hear it in a bit of a simplified, stripped down version. Give some space to the percussion, scratch the tambourines and simplify the structure. Concentrate on those vocal hooks, and build it up around them (not that it isn't already). It could do with a 1 minute time cut as well, and you should concentrate compositionally in building up more expectation in the listener.

Thanks Neole. Really enjoyed that.

• Members

Hey thanks for that DS! Exactly what I was looking for.

The vocals are not samples, they have been written and performed specifically for this song. It started as dance but once the vocals were recorded I just had to add the tabla and all the other ethnic instruments.

Your comments were very insightful and will be a great help indeed!

• Members

Challenger # 2

Oddbodds Finger

Track: Space Hop

a) Facts

This is an interesting mix. To me, it blends country and funk influences and mixes it up into a trip hoppy brew. There's guitar, banjo, hammond, some tasty slap bass and e-piano licks. It's quite linearly structured and there's two main "sections" if you will, one of which I dig, and the other, well, more on that later....

b) Feelings

It's funky! Not in the "founkee mama shake yo sex booty" -way but more in a mischievous and less obvious funk -way. I could imagine tiny critters stumbling upon a small drop of beer and them getting all tipsy and groovy from it. Then they start gettin' down to this here, hoppin' about. I also got a distinct feeling of fluff and syrup-iness. The section I referred to earlier (which didn't particularly strike me) carries too 'fluffy' of a feeling (the pad/synth filter sweeps), that I find hard to handle.

c) FYI

I really like the funky bits. They never get boring because there are all sorts of subtelties in the melody department which keep it very alive. However, I really don't like the fluffy bits with the pads and the female 'space' vocal.

Constructive comments:

I would like to hear bit more groove and variation in the hi-hat department. I'd probably add an open hi-hat here or there just to mix it up. Structurally it is fine. The only problem I have with it is 'the other' sections. I think they take away, rather than add, to the rest of the track. Whenever the transition takes place, and the fluffy segment begins, I'm like: "Heeeyyyy, hold up! What's this?" The piece takes a turn that I don't expect it to at all. I see it goin' into a completely different direction. Personally, I would scratch the fluff and turn it into something heavier, darker. If you want to use that 'space' female vocal, I'd probably add a long delay to it and only use the sample once or twice in the piece.

To conclude, this here is a double edged sword for me. One second I'm smiling because the funk is getting to me, and the next second I be like WTF??, because I just can't get into the fluff. The potential for an excellent whole that woud work for me is definitely there though. As it is, it might work much better for someone who isn't...umm...me!

Thanks Oddbods!

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

Hey thanks for that DS! Exactly what I was looking for.

The vocals are not samples, they have been written and performed specifically for this song. It started as dance but once the vocals were recorded I just had to add the tabla and all the other ethnic instruments.

Your comments were very insightful and will be a great help indeed!

Wow! Them vocals do it for me. I wish I had access to singers who can craft such beauty. Keep it up man!

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

http://www.funender.com/music/play.php?band_id=1018&song_id=5120&mode=song_hifi

Thanks for the offer, feel free to rip it to shreds, i'll have my kleenex nice-n-handy. I really don't know if it's my best but it's one of my favorates.
:)

Eric

Edited (forgot the smilely)

The link doesn't get me there. You're still in at number three, so don't worry. Just gets me a workin' link and I'm on the case. :)

• Members

Originally posted by TheProteus

Okay okay... instead of seeming a blowhard on here, I actually write music. Here's my
entry for evisceration

Quick notes though: This was just converted from Logic 3 to Logic 5, and not remixed. The levels are off, but it should give you the gist of the song. On top of that, there's supposed to be guitars + vocals on the song, but I haven't gone into the studio to lay down the vocals or guitars.

I think this is my best work because it's my most emotional (that I'm planning on publishing), and that it's my most refined song.

Hope I made #5. :-)

*gameshow buzzer*

Sorry pal, you're in violation of the challenge rules:

"DO NOT give me ANY prior information regarding the genre or sounds / equipment used."

Fighting away ALL preconceptions is the hardest thing for a reviewer, and by giving me information on the track, you've already slanted my opinion in some direction. In this case:

"Guitar and vocals missing! Hmmmm? This track ain't ready yet. What? Should I now IMAGINE the guitar and vocals?" :(

As it stands, there are still two spots open (provided that Tai Mai Shus fixes the problem with the link)!

Step on up!

• Members

Originally posted by oddbods finger

OK, I'm game

This is the track I enjoyed making most.

Whether it's my "best".....well it's all a bit subjective init

Very refreshing song. The kind of song that you would be playing whilst driving in your car on a sunny day.

Very relaxed and happy yet wanting to have a dance as well. Wouldnt call it trip hoppy it feels too upbeat for that tag.

For me some of the transitions have me thinking that either it's too big a jump or....wow very refreshing tune.

Altough im no sound guru the quality of the production sounded very good too.

I really enjoyed that. Fave bit was the "inspiral carpets" organ sounds.If you havent heard of the Inspirals get a couple of their songs downloaded.

Try Commerial rain or Saturn 5.

• Members

mmm It would be nice to be one of those 5 , may be next time.

If you post a thread like this again , do you accept a mail that contains my mp3? that is because i dont have a web hosting service at this time.

Any way Thanks to listen.

• Members

Originally posted by axelrod

mmm It would be nice to be one of those 5 , may be next time.

If you post a thread like this again , do you accept a mail that contains my mp3? that is because i dont have a web hosting service at this time.

Any way Thanks to listen.

There are a number of free ones out there. www.dmusic.com lets you have up to ten songs i believe and i think you can set it for stream only if your concerned about that.

Tai

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

There are a number of free ones out there.
www.dmusic.com
lets you have up to ten songs i believe and i think you can set it for stream only if your concerned about that.

Tai

Very thanks Tai, I use to have a web site but the period finishes so I was considering to become a web hosting reseller but something happens and Im still considering wich web hosting plan to buy. For the moment I

Archived