Tips for playing B-3 patches "authentically"

tdempsey

• Members

Hi folks!

Forgive me if this thread has been done.

I have my first keys audition tomorrow night - switched from a life on bass - and am looking for pointers.

Are there any techniques for playing B-3 patches in the "MIDI module era" in a live situation that lend authenticity?

I appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

• Members

Don't use the sustain pedal. ;)

Seriously, though. As far as playing technique goes, listen to some good recordings of similar styles to what your band will be playing and see how the organ player mixes with the band. Learn and master the various controls on your keyboard for rotor speed, etc. And above all, have fun! When I get the chance to bust out on an organ part, I don't worry too much about technique - it's all about the sound to me. :cool:

• Members

I've found, after switching from an old Hammond to a synth for organ, that to keep the sound authentic I have to do two things. First is to turn off velocity sensitivity, second is to have a volume pedal on the 'board to act as the swell pedal. Everything else is pretty much the same.

• Members

if you want it to sound funky.....play -very short- 'stabs' on the keyboard with your left hand, just before a chord hits. It should be so short, that the tone does not 'build up' and you only hear a percussive (literally :D) click

check out the song 'in pursuit' on my website

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/jointfunkturemusic.htm

such a small 'stab' can be heard at 0:05 (note that it is a very subtle thing!!)

and @ 1:23, I am demonstrating organ smearing, which is loadsof fun but requires more technique than you might think :D

don't EVER touch the sustain pedal!

• Members

Definately no sustain pedal. I second listening to other player's technique and figuring it out and playing it over and over. Before long the styles will become muscle memory and you won't really have to think. Just make sure you absorb a lot of styles or you'll just come off as an imitator of a certain guy.

Billy Preston, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the Doors, the Allman Brothers, etc would be a good selection of styles to blend and build on. Give some of their stuff a listen.

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

I've found, after switching from an old Hammond to a synth for organ, that to keep the sound authentic I have to do two things. First is to turn off velocity sensitivity, second is to have a volume pedal on the 'board to act as the swell pedal. Everything else is pretty much the same.

This, plus finger substitution.

• Members

I've used a Wavestation EX for organ for many years(before I bought the Hammond XB2). Don't laugh, the B3 organ is killer for a synth, plus the Leslie effect is pretty useful. There's a preset that I have used quite often("Rotary Organ"(I think)) where the vector joystick controls the "drawbar settings". I don't use a lot of percussion these days, don't like the percussion on the XB2 very much.

Like Fear My Potato stated earlier, it's best to absorb as many styles as possible. When I started, I was listening to a lot of ELP, Jimmy Smith, Hank Marr, Billy Preston, among others. And I know that this sounds like a broken record, but DO NOT USE THE SUSTAIN PEDAL, THIS AIN'T NO PIANO!!

:D

Tuck

Archived