E-MU Morpheus

cxp344

• Members

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about picking up the EMU Morpheus from ebay based on some of the reviews that I've read from HC and other sources. I am curious, though, if it would even be worth it. The Morpheus is a 1994 product and I already own a more up-to-date EMU XL-7. Is the XL-7 a product of some of the advances found in the Morpheus or is it a different animal altogether? I guess my main question is whether or not I'll really be getting anything new.

If anyone has a Morpheus, I'd be glad to hear what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

The Morpheus may not have the newest samples in it, but it is the only E-Mu synthesizer designed specifically around Z-Plane filters. The waves, the effects, and the whole system is targeted to maximize the ability of Z-Plane.

One more thing, the Morpheus has 197 different Z-Plane filter types in it, while the XL-7 has only 15 different types.

If you can't find yourself justifying the dosh for a Morpheus, wait until an UltraProteus comes along. It's got about 60% of the samples of the Morpheus, but also packs in the Proteus sound set, and all the Z-Plane filters.

I personally own an UltraMorpheus, which is basically a Morpheus modded so it contains both the full Morpheus and UltraProteus sound set, plus some extra goodies. :-)

The Morpheus is quite a fun synth, but some find it too cold for their taste.

• Members

TheProteus said:

...the Morpheus has 197 different Z-Plane filter types in it, while the XL-7 has only 15 different types.

in truth, while the XL-7 has 50 filter types, none of them are true Z-Planes...and the UltraProteus has 288 Z-Planes!

in any event, I have an E-mu UltraProteus that I am looking to sell, so if anyone is interested, PM me. :)

cheers,

aeon

• Members

I had a morpheus for years. it was my only working synth during much of this time. i didn't use it all that much - i found myself basically just using its sample offset capabilites to make every sound, that was really damn cool though. but then i got a new pc and buzz and the crystal softsynth among others... this completely obsoleted the morpheus and i sold it. but it was really quite cool while i had it and it was a great synth to learn about synthesizers.

• Members

the sample offsets and function generators combined with the z-planes make the Morpheus/Ultra-Proteus the two most interesting synths out of the early-90s ROMpler period, IMO.

that said, I recently decided to go modular, and my Morpheus is up for grabs if you're interested :D

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

in truth, while the XL-7 has 50 filter types, none of them are true Z-Planes...and the UltraProteus has 288 Z-Planes!

in any event, I have an E-mu UltraProteus that I am looking to sell, so if anyone is interested, PM me.
:)

cheers,

aeon

I was just quoting the reference section of my manual, which goes from 0 to 197. :-)

• Members

Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. The difference in the number of filters isn't something that I would have considered on my own since I'm still pretty new to synthesis...but I'm so tired of presets that I MUST start making my own sounds. Based on your comments I think that I'm definitely going to look into picking one of these up.

Thanks again!

• Members

Originally posted by TheProteus

I was just quoting the reference section of my manual, which goes from 0 to 197. :-)

and if you re-read the part of aeon's post that you quoted, you'll notice that he was referring to the Ultra-Proteus and not the Morpheus when he said there were 288 z-planes...

so just to clarify:

Morpheus - has 197 z-planes

Ultra-Proteus - has 288 z-planes

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

in truth, while the XL-7 has 50 filter types...

You beat me to it. The early Proteus 2000-based roms started with only 17, but the most recent upgrades to the OS brings the number up to 50.

Sadly, I s'pose that will be all...

Archived