The 2nd Best Synth Thread

C. Martin

• Members

Ok, well, I am starting The Second "Best Synth Thread" I want to know what you think the best synth out there is, based on its sound and key feel. Please, keep this thread on the topic and not off the topic like the last synth thread I created.:rolleyes:

If you have any problems or comments, PM me.

p120dUdE:cool:

• Members

Virus C as second best. Feeling of the keys goes over the sound which isn't shabby at all... but the other way 'round - Nord G2X.

I read that as "the second (best synth) thread)" by the way, not "the second best (synth) thread".

• Members

I must say I'm impressed with Squarepusher's rig. Minimal in one sense, but incredibly powerful in another.

Laptop #1 - running Reaktor (most likely using it's built in Scenario tool, which is kinda like Ableton Live)

Laptop #2 - Korg Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 Controller

Axon MIDI Guitar converter for the bass guitars

{censored}load of volume pedals plus the amp gear for the basses.

-g

• Members

Oberheim Xpander is the second best synth. The first being a good REAL modular setup with lots of modules. Nothing better than building your own synth and patching. MMMMMMMMM patching. I really need to build a modular.

• Members

I'm going to have to go with G2X. My reasoning runs thus: "I already own the Motif ES, so it must be the best synthesizer. The one synth I really want but can't afford right now is the G2X, so that would be second best, since I opted to get the Motif first."

Kiru

• Members

That's the way I read it too, it's just funnier the other way. Plus I answered it both ways :D

Here, I'll throw in a third best for good measure (since I was just reminded of how much I miss it in another thread.)

The Microwave XT30.

• Members

For me, the one thing stopping me from rating the Nord Modular G2 as the Best Synth is lack of serious microtuning support. The reason I went ahead and got one is Yoozer's report that a Clavia developer is working on implementing microtuning for a future release. But that's the only indication I have to date they are even thinking about it.

Add full-MIDI-range microtuning tables and the G2 becomes the unquestioned king in my mind. Oh, and even Reaktor is said to have very uneven microtuning support - from what I've heard, any Reaktor user into microtonal music has to jerry-rig something together out of existing modules just like Modular users - which takes a LOT of extra work.

So for now, I nominate Max/MSP as Best Synth and the G2 and Reaktor tied for #2.

Archived