To sub or not to sub?

• Members

The disadvantage would probably be that using one will give you a false (read: optimistic) idea of the bass. However, if your monitors do not go to at least 20Hz, then perhaps it may be a good idea to get one.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

The disadvantage would probably be that using one will give you a false (read: optimistic) idea of the bass. However, if your monitors do not go to at least 20Hz, then perhaps it may be a good idea to get one.

The thing is....I've already got one!! However, now I'm thinking that I could sell it, and with that money I could get a good pre-amp and new mic perhaps, or a small pocketstudio for easy mobile recording. My speakers are Genelec 1029's, and the bass response that I'm getting does seem pretty good to me without the sub on.

Are subs actually used by pro studio's for recording / mastering or are they used more in live PA's to give bass that extra "ooomph"?

P.S: Yes, KSS is the wrong forum for this question, but KSS is also the ONLY forum. :)

• Members

I'd say that it depends on what music you do...

I borrowed 1029's from a friend, and they didn't have enough bass for me, so if I had had those I'd definitely want a sub.

BUT there seem to be downsides to using subs when mixing as well... Room problems most often occur in the bass area, and with a sub you'll get plenty of bass, and thus plenty of problems if you have a "normal" room...

I was adviced to use a sub only now and then to check what's going on "down there", but otherwise mix without it.

I think that most pro studios have expensive studio monitors that go down so low that they don't need the sub...

• Members

BTW:

You really should have no problems deciding here!

You have the opportunity to try both with and without the sub!

If you feel that it's enough to work without the sub, no one can say otherwise since it's your ears that matter...! :)

• Members

Dunno what the trend for last few yrs has been. But in past more pro studios, recording & radio, have used stuff like JBL & B&W speakers without subs. Cause they where useing speakers that had good articulate & musical bass allready. Prefers that approach myself.

• Members

I will just say that what I keep running into is that I master with out a subwoofer and it is a CONSTANT ordeal as I carry a CD into any stereo and it ends up being waaay bass heavy.

I think I need MORE BASS (aka a subwoofer) in my home studio just so I can hear more easily how bass heavy the mix is getting.

I have reasonable monitors (Events) and maybe am little deficient on listening skills, but more bass out of the monitors would seem to counter my problems here of late.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

I just recognized your screen name. What happened to the original?
:confused:

Zone ahead was on the money.

I was bustin' some chops in Open Jam and started freestylin' and some fools didn't like that so they started bustin MY chops and kicked my scrawny ass to the curb!! :D

But I'm back all the same, just findin' it harder and harder to get up in the morning....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:)

Archived