Anaolg !!!!

• Members

OMFG, what have I been missing ?!?!?!

Fired up Pro-52 last night (OK, not really analog) and started going thru patches, etc......

That Bass.......that bad ass Bass !

Also some really cool Pink Floyd type stuff.

OK, so, besides tweaking the cut off and reso on the filter, and using the mod, what other real time tweaks can be made ?

• Members

hmmm,

You need Pro-53! ;)

Well anyway, it's a pretty basic subtractive synth architecture. You're asking what can be tweaked in real-time? Ummmm, everything! you see all of those knobs there? pick one! ;)

Ok... enough taunting of the nube. I find the polymod section to be pretty cool.. you can do some FM type effects with this by using OSC B as a modulation source. You can modulate OSC A's pitch, the Filter cuttoff and the pulse width (i believe). But what am I saying, it's all layed out right in front of you... if you don't know what it does, turn the knobs/press the button and figure it out!!! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by TheRain

if you don't know what it does, turn the knobs/press the button and figure it out!!!
;)

Worst piece of advice ever :D

Of course hearing a sound change when turning a knob can be fun - but it does not necessarily enable you to figure out what that knob actually does. (And so prevents you from using it creatively)

Read up on stuff, that's what the net is good for.

Personally i had to live to the ripe old age of 37 before i found out what oscillator sync actually is and how it alters the sound. Learning this opened up a new area of experimentation :)

I think that some of these "synth secrets" articles can be very helpful - then again, i am fairly much a beginner...

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?page=1&Section=8&Subject=12

• Members

Originally posted by grumphh

Worst piece of advice ever
:D

Of course hearing a sound change when turning a knob can be fun - but it does not necessarily enable you to figure out what that knob actually does. (And so prevents you from using it creatively)

Well, I wouldn't say you have to know what everything does in order to use it creatively. Anyone can tweak cutoff with reso cranked and realize it sounds cool w/o having any idea what it is.

Although I do agree that the better understanding you have of the parameters the easier/faster it will be to get a certain sound you have in mind.

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

congrats, but that isnt analog at all.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=617993

sorry to piss on your cupcake parade.

Of course: it's Anaolg! ;):D

Anyway, that synth is my favorite. Play with the envelopes. Increase the attack and the release for a really stringy/paddy sound. Use the LFO (with a saw wave) to modulate a signal. Play around with the syncing of the oscillators. Use the glide about 40% of the way with a mono setting, and move the analog knob to about 65% to get a really fat sound. It's a really wonderful synth and I always have the most fun with it! :D

• Members

Originally posted by grumphh

Worst piece of advice ever
:D

No you're right... I kind of expected that this fellow had some knowledge of subtractive synthesis already, and so it shouldn't be too tough to just look at the interface and figure out what was what. But you're right, I probably shouldn't have assumed that and I was being more of a pain in the ass to this person than a help ;) but hey, that's half the fun of living

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmyzegg

Well, I wouldn't say you have to know what everything does in order to use it creatively. Anyone can tweak cutoff with reso cranked and realize it sounds cool w/o having any idea what it is.

Although I do agree that the better understanding you have of the parameters the easier/faster it will be to get a certain sound you have in mind.

I was just relating to my own first experience with synths, which was on a (then) dazzling Yamaha CS 10 or 15 (?) with an [sic.]enormous amount of knobs :D I was 17 and used the thing more or less blindly for

Archived