MIDI routing

jigg

• Members

Ok, I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, but I need some help.

I've got my Mo6, MS2kB, and UC33e.

I'm using the UC as the MIDI interface to my PC via USB, then tagging on the Mo6 and MS2kB to get tempo synchs. Here's the chain right now:

Mo6 MIDI out->MS2k MIDI in-thru->UC33e MIDI in-USB out->PC

UC33e MIDI out->Mo6 MIDI in

Probably not the clearest illustration, but I think you get the point. I need an education in MIDI.

• Members

Currently, there's no tempo sync to the MS2k. I can control the MS from the Mo, but I'm trying to route the clock signal from my pc to the MS2k and the Mo. The Midi out from the PC is running directly back into the midi in on the Mo.

• Members

Don't know what the problem is. But I probably know the solutions.

MIDI THRU BOXES!!!

The little loves of my life.

I traded my ex-wife for two

MIDI THRU BOXES!!!

Best deal I ever made.

She had some serious latency issues.

But look at my babies now!

Aren't they dreamy?

• Members

Originally posted by jigg

Currently, there's no tempo sync to the MS2k. I can control the MS from the Mo, but I'm trying to route the clock signal from my pc to the MS2k and the Mo. The Midi out from the PC is running directly back into the midi in on the Mo.

I might be wrong here (I dont know alot about midi chains and how to do them) but I think you might need something like an edirol um550 or 880, 880 is the same as the 550 just more ins and outs.

I have the 550 and it is easilly the smartest and wisest thing I have bought.

• Members

Hey, you can't run the midi out of the Mo to the MS2k and expect to sync the MS2k to your computer. You have to use the thru on your Mo. Or if it doesn't have a thru (sorry I dont know about that particular one) see if it's out can be switched to a thru.

Here is my setup (just completed today as I got my MOTU Fastlane)

I need my computer to be able to sync up my Andromeda, MS2krack, and Micromodular. I also need to be able to play on my Andromeda and have the midi notes recorded on my computer. I also need to have the MS2krack or micrmodular triggered through the Andromeda keyboard. I ALSO (:eek:) need the micromodular to be editable by this same computer w/o having to change any cables, because I'm lazy.

So because the Micromodular is known for sucking the bandwidth out of a midi chain, I have one of the ins and outs of the MOTU dedicated to that. (I know that doesn't apply to your situation at all, but this next part does).

Then, the other out goes this way

Fastlane OUT > Andromeda IN

Andromeda OUT > MIDI Merger (Midiman 2x2)

Andromeda THRU > MIDI Merger

MIDI Merger OUT > MS2Krack

MS2krack THRU > Micromod IN

the other MIDI Merger OUT > Fastlane IN

Does that make sense? Basically, you have to route the thru of your Mo to the MS2k or the sync from your computer won't get to it. If you still need to be able to play your MS2k through your Mo (is it a rack version?) then the easiest/cheapest solution is a MIDI merger.

• Members

That's what I figured, but shouldn't there be a way to get both boards to sync

without having to buy another piece of gear?

Thanks for all the feedback, btw guys, it's very informative/helpful.

• Members

they will sync if you run the THRU of the Mo to the in of the MS2k, instead of running the OUT to the MS2k like you have now.

But like I said if it's MS2k RACK then I'm assuming you also want to be able to play the MS2k with the Mo keyboard at the same time, which CAN'T be done w/o at least buying a merger.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmyzegg

they will sync if you run the THRU of the Mo to the in of the MS2k, instead of running the OUT to the MS2k like you have now.

But like I said if it's MS2k RACK then I'm assuming you also want to be able to play the MS2k with the Mo keyboard at the same time, which CAN'T be done w/o at least buying a merger.

...unless the Mo has a "soft thru" mode which merges the OUT and THRU data. A lot of newer synths can do this - check the manual.

Archived