Eurovision COntest Day....TODAY!

• Members

Yep today is the day of the worlds worst singing contest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovision/2004/

I look forward to hearing some terrible euro music... shame really that back in the day we used to have people do music that sounded vaguely like the country they came from (still awful but I digress..) now its all kinda euro dance... or pseudo Britney Spears kinds stuff

I look forward to the Greek entry (as always)... was it last year we had the bird with big tits?

Anyone else gonna watch it tonight?

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

I forget, but is this the show where contestants from different countries perform to win? Too bad we won't get to see it.
:(

yep, its the most ridiculous show in the world. I fear if the US were involved they would probably not get the point (even i don't get the point but I guess its to make a crap song in the euro style) and actually try and win it with a proper song... :D

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

yep, its the most ridiculous show in the world. I fear if the US were involved they would probably not get the point (even i don't get the point but I guess its to make a crap song in the euro style) and actually try and win it with a proper song...
:D

:eek::D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by oddbods finger

looking forward to it......

Terry Wogan's commentary

Ditto...even though I live in Sweden I always watch the BBC when the contest's on just because of him...he's hillarious...:)

• Members

I'm watching... it's fun to watch just because such a big production is made out of it. I remember a couple of songs last year were not so bad. Most were awful, but the pretty faces and other body parts made up for it. I previewed the entry from Iceland (used to live there) the other day. What were they thinking?! :(:rolleyes:

This is maybe my last Eurovision anyway...my days on this side of the pond are numbered!:(

• Members

Yeah, I'll be watching it. When I lived with my flatmates in London we used to have a Eurovision party every year and get pissed and laugh at the silly songs and performers.

The thing about Eurovision is that it is a musical genre which doesn't exist anywhere else. yeah there may be some countries trying to do something trendy but alot of it is just plain nutty loopy weird stuff that comes out of the proverbial woodwork.

The other thing is that the voting is VERY political / geographic, regardless of the songs or performances.

Anyway, it's always good for a laugh or two.

-Sheryl

• Members

Hi,

I've just watched it... I'm generally disgusted. Why, on earth, do they all sing in English?? The performer from Poland couldn't even pronounce the words in English. What a shame, I am from Poland, lol.

There were some normal songs like the Irish, Swedish and several others but none of them breathtaking.

I remember the old ECS edition when Ireland won with the song 'Voice'. That song was impressive.

Greetings,

Martin

• Members

I can't believe so many people voted for Ukraine. You all, europeans, must be totally deaf!!! :rolleyes:

Still, it's kinda funny to see my country on top of the list, even if it was represented with that troll. :D

• Members

Originally posted by MartinMM

Hi,

I've just watched it... I'm generally disgusted. Why, on earth, do they all sing in English?? The performer from Poland couldn't even pronounce the words in English. What a shame, I am from Poland, lol.

I'd hit it! :D She was so freaking hot that I don't think anyone noticed she can't sing properly. :cool: She's my "Hottest Eurovision Chick" pick. :)

There were some normal songs like the Irish, Swedish and several others but none of them breathtaking.

I remember the old ECS edition when Ireland won with the song 'Voice'. That song was impressive.

Greetings,

Martin

I was surprised to see noone voting for Norway. I didn't listen to the whole show carefully, but I think he was one of few performers who actually sang very well. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

The thing about Eurovision is that it is a musical genre which doesn't exist anywhere else.

Spot on, Trillian...although the swedish entry this year (yes, I'm biased :) ) wasn't that far of from what's normal popular music here...

• Members

What was that Turkish entry? Punk metal polka? Myself I'm sick of all that Limp Chili pepper bullS***

At least none of the pathetic boys/boy-bands won. They were godawful. They really need to buy some combs too.

I wasn't disappointed by the Ukraine entry. It at least had a Slavic twang to it, and it wasn't your typical dance number.

The German entry was not bad! He was really straining to not quite reach his high note, but he was a lot better than the gal they sent last year.

Mostly forgettable, for sure....but what's new? Great scenery between songs though!

• Members

I can't beleive Xena won !!!! :0 The voting is sooooo predictable and like Wogan said, I think it's getting worse. Portugal votes for Spain, Austria votes for Germany, Monaco votes for France etc. etc. and no one 'owes' their 12 votes to the UK so we get schafted (yes, the spelling is intentional).

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

Dunno, there's a lot of crud in the US that sounds pretty similar.... ewwww yuk....

Yeah, this year it wasn't as amusing as in past years. This year it seems like everyone was trying to be a bit more serious but usually there are some way out of left-field wacko numbers in there. It was either last year or the year before the Greek entry was this bizzare new-wave Devo wanna-be thing and you can't help but wonder about the process of selecting these entries.

This year was a bit dull really, not as many laughs as usual.

-Sheryl

• Members

I loved the coreographies, especially the "belly dance" number towards the end (before the votes started coming in), maybe because i like those rhytms and the sound of the darbuka. Of course the dancers weren't bad either.... :)

• Members

I thought this year was a bit different. A few songs were actually kinda good. The Serbia & Montenegro was ok but i have no idea why Ukraine won? She was qute yes but man that song sucked.

The song from Poland was really wierd. I kinda liked it! :eek:

And the show in the end was amazing!

Archived