OT ... Off Topic Discussions

• Members

I'm pretty new here, but I'm going to add my two cents. I have seen other forums where politics was introduced and the effect chased members away.

I am against this war, but I would really prefer to see music related issues here.

FWIW, I am retired US Army - I was a jazz piano player for 20 years in a jazz band, a militray jazz band (yes Virginia, they do exist) - one location for the duration (great job). I think Bush is an idiot, I think this invasion will ruin our economy, I think these issues will have a polarizing effect on the US ... and for what?

But, is it possible to have this discussion in another forum and just keep things here related to music and the entertainment industry?

Dave Horne

• Members

Since you're a newbie, you do not understand that our forum is not like others. We sometimes have OT discussions, but that is somewhat rare, and one has to admit that the last few weeks have been anything but commonplace.

This is not a music forum: this is a synth, sampler, and keyboard forum. If you have a topic that you would like to discuss about any of the three, feel free to start a thread. The OT threads will not take any light away from your post.

If you don't want to read an OT post, simply don't click on the thread. If that's too much to ask, you're free to find another forum.

• Members

>>>

I disagree. People have been kiling each other since the beginning of time. Innocent people have starved for political reasons. This nonsense has been going on for ever.

I only wrote what I wrote because I have seen people leave a forum (or news group) when every other topic becomes political.

• Members

Originally posted by davehorne

>>>

I disagree. People have been kiling each other since the beginning of time. Innocent people have starved for political reasons. This nonsense has been going on for ever.

I only wrote what I wrote because I have seen people leave a forum (or news group) when every other topic becomes political.

I think you missed scoobs point here. He simply said that OT discussions have been more common place on this forum for the past few weeks than usual.

I'm sure scoobs is aware of human history and the killing that goes with it. :)

And I'm 100 % positive this forum will stay mostly ON topic because of two reasons:

1) There's open jam. If you're lookin for OT or tits or poop or politics, that's the place to chew the fat.

2) A lot of people on the KSS forum have awesome chops and chop-gear, and talkin' chop will always be of more interest to us.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by davehorne

Sure, people leave. But they don't have to. Are you compelled to leave as a result of the OT posts? If so, why? Politics is no reason why one should leave an otherwise good forum. I honestly have not found another forum like HC KSS, and even if the entire forum chose to adopt and discuss ideas whch I found to be a waste of time or irritating, I would still stick around, for one will be hard pressed to find such people, information, and "community" elsewhere.

• Members

Not to be rude or anything, but I agree with davehorn. I would like to see more music discussion here than off topic. If people havent noticed, there is a forum by HC that allows you to talk about politics and other OT topics. Why cant people do them there? Just adding my 2 cents.

p120dUdE

• Members

because they dont know how to speak monkey?

have you ever been to Open Jam?

honestly the people that complain about OT need to CONTRIBUTE way more to really have a legitimate beef.

and if they were contributing more, they would probably be checking on their own threads instead of ones they know ahead of time they wont appreciate and that will waste their time.

just some thoughts

• Members

nah, i don't care, because we, collectively, are a bunch of uber-geeky synth-heads.

so, ultimately, the conversation will go back to synth stuff, because we are all pretty well close to obsessed with it.

• Members

if you want to see more on topic threads then create more on topic threads. you know what this is? this is another OFF TOPIC THREAD..:rolleyes:

i agree the past week or so have bred more OT threads and posts than usual (with the exception of other moments in this forums history)... i have confidence that will dwindle soon. no need to get testy (or even concerned) about it.

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

Not to be rude or anything, but I agree with davehorn. I would like to see more music discussion here than off topic.

Ever heard of Greyson Peddie?

If people havent noticed, there is a forum by HC that allows you to talk about politics and other OT topics. Why cant people do them there? Just adding my 2 cents.

p120dUdE

I thought you left for better forums?

• Members

I'm not in the 4 digit post club here, but as a fairly regular participant of late, and a reader for much longer, I think that this is a very well self monitored forum. I've started a few OT threads myself, and see nothing wrong with them. People have opinions, people here get to know each other, and somehow it all seems to work. There's a good group here, and for that reason I'll cast my vote with those that enjoy the OT threads, whether they're about politics, or whatever.

As was stated above, it all gets back to the keyboards & synths anway, so if an occasional romp into sado-masochistic political commentary, and chicks with dicks and poop helps cohese the cohesiveness (I have no idea what THAT means), then so be it.

Now I'll go stand in my corner & play with myself..:D

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

If you don't want to read an OT post, simply don't click on the thread. If that's too much to ask, you're free to find another forum.

This is my position as well. Occasionally I've been known to start an OT post. Occasionally I've been known to post in someone else's OT post. And occasionally, I simply do not click on an OT post because I know that I don't want to get involved, or read all the flames that I know have been exchanged.

Kiru

• Members

I'm personnaly not so interested in synths to talk only about it ! For those who don't like off topics, you are not forced to read them ... I really don't understand it, and sometimes, when I post something about, say, mixers, computers or speakers, I often get "This is not the right forum !! get out, only synths here"

strange obsessions ...

Archived