fav musical trends coming back

• Members

This is true. I was a huge Queen fan as a kid, I totally wanted to be Freddie Mercury. The thing about Ben Folds is that there is an air of smugness about them. He is a very good player but there's always been something a little too 'college' about them, a little to

certain of their own hipness. Maybe it's just me.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

The Police, now there was a great band. They were brilliant, 'love syncronicity, ghost in the machine.

-Sheryl

One of the best things from that era, most certainly. The Police were very cool, indeed.

'sfunny you mentioned Queen, Journey, and all those guys that were big in the mid to late '70's. I grew up on that too, along with Rush, Yes, Genesis, and a few others.

What was weird was that one day, I just stopped listening to all of that late '70's "art rock," pretty much permanently, apart from the occasional Yes or Queen outing. Suddenly, there was no more Journey, Styx, ELO, Boston, etc.etc. on my platter.

I remember the precise moment when this transition took place. I had gone to a free Styx concert at some 4th of July festival in Kansas City. And I no longer cared. I don't remember a moment of that show to this day. It was like something just turned that part of me off.

Then I went through a Dylan / Springsteen phase, which I'd rather not talk about. Then the U2 phase. Then the '80's hair band phase, which I'm even less willing to discuss....

And I never got disco. Whoever said "Disco Sucks" [which if I recall was Forrest Gump] pretty much had it nailed.

• Members

I wish some kind of black music would come back where they actually play live instruments. I'm just bored of all the sequenced "R&B" stuff. Bring back some old school funk inspired music where there was an actual band that used to jam. That would be cool.

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

I think i miss the most just the concept of musicianship, no matter what the genre.

People used to play the {censored} out of their instruments whether it was country, funk, jazz, rock, or whatever.

Now days it just doesnt seem like the good players dominate the airwaves at all.

Here Here! (or is that hear hear!)

also, without this you dont get AOR.

and without the musicianship you dont get the funk stuff of the 70s in quite the same way.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

Ah, I see. What's album oriented rock?
:D

To me it sounds like another name for concept rock or themed albums or something along those lines. First time I hear that term, though.
:o

AOR was a radio format. It was the mainstream rock format for years throughout the 1970's and into the '80's in the US. They played everything from heavy metal to Crosby Stills and Nash. When most people mention AOR however, the bands that define the format most were bands like Journey, Foreigner, Styx, Boston, etc. and in the '80's bands like Nightranger, Loverboy, etc.

Those AOR stations also played lots of Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc.

Other formats were things like 'Easy Listening', 'Adult Contemporary'(AC), I think there was a format in the early nineties called something like adult album alternative (AAA), which were bands like Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crow etc.

There was 'Alternative' which soon became the mainstream rock format in the '90's.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

Hieroglyphics and such.

right on donkey kong.

I also second Def Lepard and Queen.

I like it when things come back, because i think the phenomenon is due to people doing something they really love. For example, if good old punk rock becomes lame and no one appreaciates it, it's not on the radio or TV, and everyone makes fun of you for your Exploited shirt..but you find a couple of other guys/gals, and go ahead and spend years playing it anyway...then you are truly doing what you love.

Then what you are doing will be {censored}ing brilliant.

Then it will come back in style.

here's another way to put it:

M =music you like

X=crap

Timeline:

1. M is great, everybody is doing it, it's everywhere

2. M gets diluted and silly and subgenred and played out, etc.

3. X comes into style, M wanes

4. M becomes a joke (like "disco" was and now "house" is becoming (in the US at least))

5. You get a set of turntables and play M all night long in your basement.

6. a lot of your "friends" stop coming around, find someone else to smoke weed with or whatever, and your neighbors start to hate you

7. You get good, and truly bad ass at creating within the framework of M

8. People start to notice because your joy/hatred/love/life/death/sex/religion/etc.. are pouring out of you M music

9. M comes back, and {censored} your old "friends"..you got the {censored} now.

see what i mean?

sorry to wax for so long, it's kinda my whole theory concerning what the {censored} i am up to.

• Members

Uhh my older brother was heavily into those big hair rock bands, like Van Halen, ZZtop, Foreigner and was it Heart? - that female lead rock group(also with big hair).

Y'know I could almost forgive him for all those but then he went on to Whitesnake!...

.....Still he moved onto MC hammer after that!

....No. No once around was more than enough for me thank you.

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

People realized that the song was more important than endless wanking...and for better or for worse, Nirvana arrived.

........well I think The Pixies arrived first.:)

then Nirvana

Originally posted by Trillian

The Darkness are kinda doing the 70's rock thing but I think there's alot of room for more of it.

Personally, I hope not.

I could do without another smug middle class nitwit like Justin Hawkins.

I think Lemmy of Motorhead got it spot on when he called The Darkness "a cabaret act"

• Members

I'm with Scuby - 30s/40s/50s Big Band Jazz. I'll also take small band jazz from the same era. Back then there were real musicians, not the pathetic imitations we get nowadays. We did have a local big band in Toronto back in the 80s, The Boss Brass, probably the best big band since those old days. Most of the players had played with other famous bands like Stan Kenton. They were just marvellous.

Bryan

• Members

Hey I went Go Karting with Justin from the Darkness and their producer about a week before he ended up on the Jools Holland show last year. He's ok. In fact he was really quiet and shy. I hadn't a clue who he was at the time, a friend of mine brought him along, and he barely said a word.

I remember switching on the TV and their he was standing on Jools' piano playing his guitar. I mentioned it to my then girlfriend who was really impressed I'd met him.

Useless at Go Karts by the way, I must have passed him three or four times and he even ended up stuck on a dirt bank at one point.

Loreman

Thats the one story I have about anybody famous - forgive me if i repeat it in the future - but I did whoop his ass at Go Karts!!!

:)

• Members

was is not numan who inspire the hip hop movement back then? or am i misinformed?

i have heard this is true. many of the hip hop guys really dug the drums on Numan's songs. Snoop dog himself admits he likes Numan and he sampled Numan beats years later.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Ah... to be a teenager again addicted to technology. Actually, I think it was more Thomas Dolby and Kraftwerk who greatly influenced the early 80's hip hop movement. Tunes like "Planet Rock" and stuff from Egyptian Lover had a lot of Kraftwerk-Numbers-like elements in them.

I really think there was a lot of Gary Numan in Cybotron's early stuff.

Tuck

ELECTRO!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by oddbods finger

Personally, I hope not.

I could do without another smug middle class nitwit like Justin Hawkins.

I think Lemmy of Motorhead got it spot on when he called The Darkness "a cabaret act"

Well, I wouldn't exactly tout Lemmy as a credible source of opinion on music or...anything. That guy hasn't had an original idea since the '70's he is one of the biggest burnouts on the planet. He practically LIVES at the Rainbow on Sunset where all the other burnouts hang out. I used to see him there every other night. He is the consumate 'has-been' and is probably jealous of anyone else's success.

-Trillian

• Members

I totally agree with Boom- Black musicians who PLAY instruments and can break out of this insipid "Black Music = R&B" stereotype. I remember being completely dumbfounded when on some awards show (probably MTV Music Awards or something) a few years back, DR. DRE and WHITNEY HOUSTON were both up for the SAME AWARD- Best R&B Album. WTF?!! That's when I started noticing that R&B was just what you call music made by an African American artist- plain and simple- regardless of it's "actual" style. So Seal and Kriss Kross both make the same style of music:rolleyes: . I totally want funk bands back! At my work we were (inexplicably) giving out free "Muppets in Space" soundtracks, and the whole thing is super fun funk! At what point did Black people deem playing instruments "uncool"? The only two I can think of off the top of my head are Lenny Kravits and Kevin Smith (from the Tonight Show) who still care about guitars in the least.

Also, for me the best time in pop music was during the Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" era. That's when I first discovered "real" music on my own, and it was all so new and exiting. Some songs that still bring me back to my 4th grade wonder:

Bon Jovi- You give Love a Bad Name

Genesis- Land of Confusion

Pet Shop Boys- West End Girls

Run DMC- You be Illin'

Stacey Q- 2 of Hearts (seriously!)

Madonna- Open your Heart (secretly my favorite video of the time- I was SOOOOOO jealous of the kid in that back then!)

Herbie Hancock- Rockit

Phil Collins- In the Air Tonight (still the scariest song ever)

That Beverly Hills Cop theme song- fell in love with pure electronic music with that one!

Depeche Mode- People are People

And others from that era. Thank God for internet radio stations!

P.S. I know race is a touchy issue in any context- hope I didn't offend anyone here.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Ah... to be a teenager again addicted to technology. Actually, I think it was more Thomas Dolby and Kraftwerk who greatly influenced the early 80's hip hop movement. Tunes like "Planet Rock" and stuff from Egyptian Lover had a lot of Kraftwerk-Numbers-like elements in them.

I really think there was a lot of Gary Numan in Cybotron's early stuff.

Tuck

"planet rock" is a complete rip off of kraftwerk's transeuropeexpress..

• Members

I think there was a high point when the post ornette coleman harmolodic improvisational style was mixed with funk rhythms and spiced with afro-cuban complexity. Lots of rhodes pianos and echo devices were involved. Very Nice.

Some examples:

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Miles Davis- Live Evil

Herbie Hancock- Sextant

Donald Byrd- Electric Byrd

Some bands, like Throbbing gristle seemed to try to reference this period. Medeski, Martin, and Wood sure has. I think Squarepusher has quite a bit. Other electronic artists perhaps refernce stuff more in the vein of Steve Reich. Personally I find a composer like Gyorgi Ligetti and Witold Luttoslawski more interesting than the minimalists. I'd get a kick out of hearing THAT sort of music played with contemporary instrumentation, guitars and synths etc rather than stuff more along the lines of 'post-rock' with its minimal development. Glenn Branca has done some interesting stuff with sheets of sound, orchestrated electric guitars and such. I dig that sort of thing. I like some of John Zorn's stuff, I'd love it if his schtick got on like "jazz" radio more than regurgitated 50's bop imitations.

What else?

Well, some really vintage sounding reggae would be cool. A lot of reggae artists get caught up in the newer pop production techniques which I don't like as much as the sounds gotten in the 70's.

Also. While I really dislike modern country I just LOVE Johnny Cash. Somebody needs to channel his spirit. Also, stuff in the 70's by Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, some King Crimson., Brian Eno...

Honestly, I think the 60's and 70's were much more interesting than the 80's. The 90's were almost cool, but ultimately a lot of potential was wasted. Right now it's sort of 'everything goes'. I don't get that sense of one thing being super cool and something else being super uncool like in the 90's when metal was super uncool.

Archived