Possible to "weigh[t]" the keys yourself?

• Members

I am curious to know whether it is possible to take a synth you already have that is 61 lightweight keys and add some weight to them? Is there something you could by or little tricks to doing this?

I am considering buying a Roland XP-30, but I like the workstation features of the Roland XP-80 and I am not sure about my choice.

If I got the 30, I would want to see if I could try to make them semi weighted. Either way, it is not a necessity that is going to affect my decision. I am just curious to know.

• Members

No mate, i don't think it would be possible.

I have an XP30, and there are small metal weights under the keys already, to make them feel less plasticky. I don't think increasing this weight would make them feel semi weighted, just sluggish.

Also, i'd say any kind of warranty (if you were buying it new) would be voided by doing something like that.

If you REALLY wanted semi weighted keys, you'd be better off getting a semi weighted controller and a module.

• Members

exactly- why not have some metal weights cut to size from a sheet of metal and just glue them to the underside of the keys? i just noticed this on my roland s-50 a couple days ago. though i wonder how heavy those little metal plates actually are...

EDIT: oops, i see now that the xp30 already is somewhat weighted. oh well, might work for something else...

• Members

You can't do it, IMO, because the "weighted" feeling doesn't come from the weight of the keys, at least not with our digital keyboards. IMO, springs and other such dealies are responsible for that. By adding weight under the keys, you would probably make it less "weighted," because the effort needed to press each key would decrease.

Piano experts: am I wrong?

• Members

If by odd chance the keyboards keys where on a pivot at their middle. One could conceivably raid the fishing tackle box and fetch 61 little fishing weights to tack onto back of keys. Which would result in rather bizzarero looking keyboard with what some ebay sellers might call "creative weighted keys". But since keyboard keys arent on a center pivot. It'd be jus a silly thing that would end up in "ebay oddity of the day" post. So I agree with others saying nope.

Pet vampyrebunny takes a swig of vodka with koolaid and ponders attaching 61 little helium filled balloons on strings to front of keys for more lift. Hum, nope not good idea. Besides little baloons would get in the way for playng the thing if it didnt just up and float off into the wild blue yonder. Giggles & takes another swig of drink in paws.

But seriously, the cost of haveing a pro replace springs ect and get em all even would be prohibitive I think.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

You can't do it, IMO, because the "weighted" feeling doesn't come from the weight of the keys, at least not with our digital keyboards. IMO, springs and other such dealies are responsible for that. By adding weight under the keys, you would probably make it less "weighted," because the effort needed to press each key would decrease.

Piano experts: am I wrong?

That sounds right to me. If you put a weight under the key, the keyboard will feel lighter, because the weight is helping to push (or pull) the key down. You could maybe add some kind of spring, but I dunno how practical that would be (probably depends on the specific action).

Kiru

• Members

ok thank you guys a lot for your comments...

I think I will go ahead with the XP80...it is a workstation that I have been wanting for a long time and can find it on ebay within $500-$800

does anyone know any online vendors that would carry it? or other auction sites?

Archived