what's the difference between hard and soft sync?

Klaseed

• Members

Well, I don't know if this is the universal definition but it was the easiest thing I could find.

From the Andromeda manual:

Hard sync locks the phase relationship of the oscillators fundamental wave.

Soft sync locks the phase relationsihp of the oscillators harmonics with the harmonics of the other oscillator.

The audible difference between these two methods depends on the frequencies of the oscillators before sync is activated.

• Members

As I understand it:

When using Hard Sync, the slave oscillator resets its cycle with every cycle of the master.

When using Soft Sync, the slave oscillator reverses direction with every cycle of the master, with the result of a far more subtle and gentle sound, rather than the "screaming/vocal" sound we all know.

-Hoax

• Members

Just in case you weren't confused enough, I've heard another definition -

Hard sync:

The slave oscillator resets it's phase back to zero degrees every time the master oscillator is at zero degrees phase.

Soft Sync:

The slave oscillator resets it's phase partway to zero degrees every time the master oscillator is at zero degrees. For example: If soft sync is set to 50%, then every time the master oscillator is at zero degrees, the slave oscillator resets its phase to 50% between its current phase and zero degrees. When soft sync is set to 100%, it's the same as hard sync. When soft sync is set to 0%, it's the same as no sync.

Of course, it's all academic until you hear it. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 were true for different synths.

I guess this means I'll have to get a synth with soft sync.

What out there actually has soft sync, anyway (besides the Andy)?

• Members

Originally posted by Klaseed

What out there actually has soft sync, anyway (besides the Andy)?

I'd guess that one of the sync modes on the Roland JX10 / JX8P would be soft sync, and they are really cheap for what they can do as well, so if you want to experiment it would probably be a good place to start :)

Archived