Am I gear obsessed??

• Members

GAS -

My girlfriend has been so pissed off at me lately. I never thought she could give a crap about what gear I get, especially when I'm trading in for something different. But lately I've been a little obsessed, so I think.... I buy stuff, then get struck by something else I see (usually something old) and I trade in something for it. No big deal to me - it's the best way to try things out if you ask me. You can always turn around and sell for what you paid in these days of eBay. But she is literally like "I don't wanna be involved with it" when I trade something in. She says "last week you got this, and now you see something else and you just have to have it..". Am I actually obsessed wiht gear if I like to get new things all the time??

• Members

Originally posted by WhinyLittleRunt

But she is literally like "I don't wanna be involved with it" when I trade something in. She says "last week you got this, and now you see something else and you just have to have it.."...

Ok, I think if she don

• Members

Originally posted by gilbertopb

Meanwhile, have you some nude pictures from her???
:D

I've been trying that too but I can't convince.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, getting a new girlfriend is out, because we've been together 6 years and only now have I begun buying things left and right. I can see where she's pissed off, but does anyone else have the same gear obsession that I do?? And it's not like I want all the good stuff - it's like I'm rushing out to buy some old piece of shizz that no one wants. Take the Hammond Piper organ, for example. Cute organ, but what the hell am I gonna do with it?? It sounds like ass, I just thought it would look good in the studio. But it's big, and that was the reason I got rid of my console piano. She just gets mad that I'm never satisfied with what I have and that I always feel I need to get something better. That's not even what I'm doing. I'm just getting stuff so I have something to do! Period!

• Members

don't need to justify your actions to her too much, you like it getting stuff, and that's your thing, second, whenever she starts giving you hell, don't as much as move an eyebrow. dont speak. after a while go about your business as if she's not there, get a bier from the fridge, call a female friend and start talking to her on the phone, you know... :cool:

Girlfriends get mad because they see they can control you with it (once it starts that never stops), or they get mad for a while out of frustration because they see you dont give a flying f.. (that one blows over).

i prefer the latter scenario, how about you?

we're all GAS patients here, so we understand... :D

• Members

Originally posted by WhinyLittleRunt

GAS -

Am I actually obsessed wiht gear if I like to get new things all the time??

i don't know - are you? i recently took a look at what i've been spending on gear in the last few years and decided i needed to cool it.

• Members

It depends actually. Are you the guy who tries things just in the surface of the instrument or really get into it then find out if you really need it or not? I buy things to try and sell it if I don't really need it. I think once you know what you want and need, that's when your trying out phase become more guided and selective and starting to stick with things longer. Like the term you've been seeing this girl, 6 years, so that means you got what you need and not shopping around anymore :D

• Members

I've been there, and then some. I used to have a lot of money to throw around and without knowing everything the best way to find out is to try it out for yourself. You don't actually know what X is or Y is until you have it in your possession. Read all the reviews you like, but it's just not the same thing. You WILL lose money though. Even if you make a couple of bucks on the sale, when it comes to shipping and time spent etc., you lose. You can't look at it that way though. It is invaluable information in my opinion and fills an important need. A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but I understand it and find it fully justified. Hopefully in the end you will find a few core pieces that will fulfill your sonic needs. How long that takes is up to you.

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

don't need to justify your actions to her too much, you like it getting stuff, and that's your thing, second, whenever she starts giving you hell, don't as much as move an eyebrow. dont speak. after a while go about your business as if she's not there, get a bier from the fridge, call a female friend and start talking to her on the phone, you know...
:cool:

Girlfriends get mad because they see they can control you with it (once it starts that never stops), or they get mad for a while out of frustration because they see you dont give a flying f.. (that one blows over).

i prefer the latter scenario, how about you?

we're all GAS patients here, so we understand...

I agree with the above.

(Quote) "I used to have a lot of money to throw around and without knowing everything the best way to find out is to try it out for yourself. You don't actually know what X is or Y is until you have it in your possession. Read all the reviews you like, but it's just not the same thing. You WILL lose money though. Even if you make a couple of bucks on the sale, when it comes to shipping and time spent etc., you lose. You can't look at it that way though. It is invaluable information in my opinion and fills an important need. A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but I understand it and find it fully justified. Hopefully in the end you will find a few core pieces that will fulfill your sonic needs. How long that takes is up to you."

The above is the predicament that I'm in now. You eventually have to go this route to find what works for you while you have the money to do so. Not to mention life will also throw you a few curves to cause you to reevaluate things. After you find what works for you, there's the potential to make more money than you may have lost and you enjoy the music making process even more. :)

Archived