Suggest effects box for a synth

• Members

I need it mostly for Nord 2X.

Need decent reverb and plenty of programmable delays (various types of stereo multi taps are a must). Other effects (chorus/flanger/phaser) are not that improtant. It should not be noisy.

Budget: up to 120$.

So far I found only a few:

Alesis Midi/MicroVerb 4.

Behringer Virtualizer Pro.

• Members

I havent tried the ones you've menshioned but I have heard not so good things about them. I would go with a Lexicon MPX-110. Don't know how programmable the delay is though.

• Members

120 is a bit too tight: you are going to ruin the nice and expensive sound of the NL2x... I would save up for a TC m300 (180$), excellent reverbs and delays. If you want to go cheap, the Boss SE70 might be ok. I am using a Digitech DSP128 from 1989, and it sounds ok for delays. The reverb is dated, of course, but I dont like rev anyway.

• Members

SRV3030D used. Best bang-for-the-buck. full two stereo engines. multi-tap delays w filtering (analog delay sim), reveb/plate/room/hall etc, both engines have dedicated param equilizers as well.

You need to tweak it to reveal its real possibilities, altough it does have a few presets geared towards "dance lead" that have exactly what the doctor ordered for nord 2x.

i think they're arround $200 nowadays. get one with SPDIF ("D" version).

its a bit underestimated because roland discontinued it quickly, so they went new for $260 two yrs ago. but it was designed and geared towards mid class (>$1K) originally. I use it beside tc4000, and they complement each other quite well. especially nice on rhodes and analog type sounds.

• Members

SD, of course, making and mixing a song, I use reverb. I have this free Anwidasoft reverbplugin that works great for me ( 5 parameters only :D ).

When I play for fun, or during band rehearsing and live playing, I never use reverb since it clutters up the mix IMHO. I am also used to reverbless instruments (my Nord Electro and MicroMod don't have it, neither does my Bassman amp that I use with my Rhodes) and kinda dislike Rolands and Korgs because they drown the sounds in rev most of the times.

• Members

Originally posted by Roald

SD, of course, making and mixing a song, I use reverb. I have this free Anwidasoft reverbplugin that works great for me ( 5 parameters only
:D
).

When I play for fun, or during band rehearsing and live playing, I never use reverb since it clutters up the mix IMHO. I am also used to reverbless instruments (my Nord Electro and MicroMod don't have it, neither does my Bassman amp that I use with my Rhodes) and kinda dislike Rolands and Korgs because they drown the sounds in rev most of the times.

Gotcha! :)

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

SRV3030D used. Best bang-for-the-buck. full two stereo engines. multi-tap delays w filtering (analog delay sim)

Delays? I never saw it being mentioned having delays, only reverbs and flanger/chorus thing? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by SweetAlien

Delays? I never saw it being mentioned having delays, only reverbs and flanger/chorus thing?
:confused:

yep , it does. all kinds multitap,pingpong,mono,stereo etc

i'vr been using it on my dry analogs for that spacey sound multitap -> reverb plate.

you can do routing as well. foe ex, you can use it as two separate mono in-stereo out (mixing outputs together) reverb machines. A room plus plate, etc

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

Go for a used Lexicon MPX-110. Hands down the most silky sounding reverb at an affordable price.

Jerry Garcia's amazing silky guitar reverb was all Lexicon.

which one ? 224, 300 or 480 ?

i'm sure he didn't use MPX110..

MPX series haven't got much in common with the big "Lexicon" sound. Most affordable units that have that sound, contain one lexichip at least (pcm80/81) or even two (pcm90/91). MPX110 Silky? Not.

check GM and 3dB forums for more info on affordable reverbs..

• Members

Thanks for suggestions everyone... I read some user reviews here on HC, and have few questions:

Isn't QuadraVerb noisy and grainy?

And together with Ensoniq - too complicated for the beginner? confused:

Besides, Ensoniq is out of my price range. :(

I'd just would like to have smooth warm reverb and multitap delays with different rates (like 1/3, 2/3/, 2/5 etc.) and control over damping and amount (just like in the Virus).

Btw, I'm thinking about feeding Nord into Virus INs for internal processing since it has the right delays... Is it a good idea?

• Members

Btw, I'm thinking about feeding Nord into Virus INs for internal processing since it has the right delays... Is it a good idea?

that is a CRAP idea!! :mad: what were you THINKING?!?!?!? :mad: you are NEVER supposed to run ANYthing into a synthesizer to use the fx. :mad: EVER!!! :mad: :mad:

• Members

Ensoniq - too complicated for the beginner? confused:

not necessarily. sure, they have a lot of parameters, but they also have a lot of presets - so if you don't want to get into deep editing right away, yoo still have plenty to choose from...

Besides, Ensoniq is out of my price range.
:(

you can have my DP/2 for $125 if you want it. it needs the internal battery replaced though ($2-3 at ratshack), so you wouldn't be able to store edited patches until you sort that out. I don't feel like dealing with it, which is why I'm selling cheap :)

I'd just would like to have smooth warm reverb and multitap delays with different rates (like 1/3, 2/3/, 2/5 etc.) and control over damping and amount (just like in the Virus).

honestly, and this is not just a sales pitch, the Ensoniq units are the warmest and creamiest sounding digital FX units you can buy for the kind of money you're willing to spend, IMO. FWIW, I like them so much (esp. the reverb, delays, chorus, phaser and distortions) that I'm replacing my DP/2 with a DP/4...

sure, why not?

Archived