P-250 homepage ??

• Members

Thanks for all your reply...

Yea, maybe I should drop my 250 and look for a 120 ?

I think p120dUdE have a lot of good arguments (he he he)...

..or maybe not ?

Anyway, you don't have any URL where I can find performance files...? I'm trying to create a "Path Metheny" performance bank, but I'm not sure what XG sound split/layer/effect to use..... :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

I am not a nutcase, i am not lieing, and it is not my imagination.

My p120 has string resonance, period. I am not going to repeat this again. I am done with this thread.

Regards,

p120dUdE

You're probably not a nut-case, I don't believe you're lying, but I think it most certainly is your imagination. Are you familiar with the philosophical concepts known as Hume's Maxim, and Occam's Razor? Basically, we're to consider which of two explanations for a phenomenon is the least believeable, i.e. leads to more fantastical assumptions, and discard it. In the case of the P120's alleged string resonance, these are the available options:

1) The P120 does not have string resonance modelling.

2) The P120 does have string resonance modelling.

Now, option 1) is the widely held opinion, it's Yamaha's position (assuming Mike Martin's authority - which certainly isn't necessarily a given), it's the informally tested result by everyone except you. As has been stated, it is actually possible to formally test such a feature, by comparing two MIDI-triggered samples. Moreover there's the fact that such a feature is not mentioned either on Yamaha's webpages relating to the P120, nor in any advertising for it in any music-store that I know of. Accepting option 1 is almost costless - the only thing it forces us to reevaluate is your position. Seeing as you have demonstrated no particular knowledge, and has actually shown ignorance as to what string resonance actually is, it is a likely explanation that you are simply wrong, for reasons we don't really need to explore.

What does option 2) force us to believe? Well, not only is everybody on this board in the wrong except you; a Yamaha-rep. is also wrong; Either has Yamaha has made the extraordinary decision to keep such an advanced modelling feature (which it documents and advertises on other instruments) a secret - a very poor marketing choice, or else they do not know what they are building; and nobody has discovered that the P120 has this feature untill you came along - not reviewers, not professionals, not instrument dealers.

Which option do you think is more likely? Is your opinion of yourself and your talent (which you've been reluctant, have actually denied, to demonstrate) that you'll believe the fantastical explanation?

• Members

Ahhhh ..... Greetings from 'land of the rising sun'. I am Mr. Meeyagi .... former employee of Yamaha and good friend of late Mr. Higashikuni. So you have special Mr. Meeyagi P120 in America ? !

For many moons we make fine digital piano for american people but we get .... what you say in America ..... 'busted' ... by security camera making special custom P120. I have big idea to put what we call 'P250 string resonance' in P120 as well as usual cheese sandwich. I even install Mr Meeyagi special custom cup holder and Mr Higashikunu have extra 'oarsome wikked' sound for some fortunate customer. ( me think that shipment of faulty P250 go to some unrucky bastard in Norway. )

Mr Yamaha he not happy and we get the chop. Mr Higashikuni do honourable thing and commit bushido leaving Mr Meeyagi holding baby. Somewhere is very unhappy P250 owner ..... no 'string resonance' cheese sandwich or cupholder. Last two easy to fix but string resonance big probrem.

I must come to America for lost string resonance and try for part in "Karate Kid 8'. Wish me ruck. Please excuse. Must practise now ..... wax on, wax off ..... wax on, wax off .....

• Members

Well, Norway, the P250 is a wonderful instrument. Have fun exploring it.

The funny thing about all this string resonance information is that the Yamaha rep spent a good deal of time both here and at the Piano World Forum explaining it and stated, as a fact, that only the P250 has it, etc. But then there was a FURTHER discussion at the Piano World Forum which led to the conclusion that the string resonance is not true modeling, even on the P250, but based on a sample. And that real modeling was something all looked forward to in the not too distant future.

• Members

Originally posted by ebonivory

And that real modeling was something all looked forward to in the not too distant future.

a very raw solution : you just have to see which keys are depressed, and enhance the series of harmonics that correspond to these keys with lots of triangle-shape band pass filters

• Members

guys ... please don't flame me too badly but ...

page 35 of my p120 manual says "The GRAND PIANO 1 AND 2 voices feature special 'Sustain Samples' that recreate the unique resonance produced by an acoustic grand piano's soundboard and strings when its damper pedal is depressed. The effect can be controlled with the P-120/P120S's sustain pedal ..."

why doesn't that mean that p120dude was right abuot the p120 having resonance? just asking (shruggs shoulders why raising arms to shield head) ...

• Members

Ahhh .... no probrem Mr Norway. Meeyagi can fix very soon. Am on my way to America to rocate p250 string resonance. I am rooking for p120 they call 'da bomb'. ( Mr Yamaha he no like this description 'cause he family they come from Hiroshima ! )

Meeyagi on aeroprane to America ..... in fright movie they calling 'Groundhog Day'. I say to very good rooking fright attendant .... where you get idea for this funny movie ? She say to Meeyagi ..... we get idea from Harmony Central digital piano forum. Every day you get same silly posts from gentleman about P120 piano ..... every day we have prenty big laugh ! !

Hmm .... Meeyagi think this is very small world.

We stop in Pearl Harbour for aeroprane refuel. Meeyagi get hostile rook from some passengers. This no probrem for Meeyagi. I take out koto and pray for passengers 'smoking on the water' and 'whole rot of ruv'. People very happy now and forget 1941.

Ah yes .... Mr Meeyagi was big hot shot back in 70's . Meeyagi pray with Santana ...... yep, me and charlie santana pray baseball for Tokyo Dragons and charlies dad own local fish shop.

Maybe America is land of opportunity for Meeyagi ..... first i rook up my old friend Mr Martin ...... he big boss man in America for Yamaha and may have job for Meeyagi if fail audition for 'Karate Kid 8'.

Mr Higashikuni have prenty good idea for digital piano and leave prans with Meeyagi. In fact, Mr Higashikuni say to Meeyagi on his death bed " Meeyagi ! Don't just stand there . Pull this {censored}in' dagger out out of my guts. I just read Shogun and this whole bushido bull{censored} sucks man. Get on the phone to Roland and see if they got any gigs dude ".

Those were very last words from Higashikuni but as Confucius say ...... that's Johnny Confucius my mate from Shanghai who has job smoking oysters " There's a lot to be said for saying nothing ".

Anyway, aeroprane ready to land in America now so Meeyagi must put raptop away. Tomorrow i go rooking for groundhog and then have big party with prenty saki ..... wanna whole rot of ruv ... Yeeeow .... wanna whole rot of ruv .... Yeeeeow

• Members

Originally posted by idoubtit

page 35 of my p120 manual says "The GRAND PIANO 1 AND 2 voices feature special 'Sustain Samples' that recreate the unique resonance produced by an acoustic grand piano's soundboard and strings when its damper pedal is depressed. The effect can be controlled with the P-120/P120S's sustain pedal ..."

why doesn't that mean that p120dude was right abuot the p120 having resonance? just asking (shruggs shoulders why raising arms to shield head) ...

Kinda but not quite -

the string sustain is a bit different. It is designed to mimic the ringing of the strings after you press them.. The string resonance is a modeling technology that allows the overtones to resonate.

To beat the dead horse... ona real piano hopld down C E G lightly so no sound is produced. the strike a low c a few octaves below very hard. the sound you hear from the CEG very faintly above is the resonance of the overtones (you could even play a Bb and hear it lightly). This is modeled on the P250. The Sustain feature of the P120 is a very nice reverb almost - the sustaining from the single string itself is sampled.

This may help

• Members

My Yamaha p120 has string resonance modelling. This is my last post for this thread and forum.

Good... that means I can once again point out how stupid you are and how you have no freaking clue what you're talking about, without worrying about whether you'll come back and turn it into another five-page argument.

There are no P-120's with string resonance modelling. None. Zip zilch nada nanimo zenzen imasen. Period.

I just hope that there are people on whatever other forums you post on to point out your error to prospective buyers, so that they're not disappointed when they buy a P-120 expecting it to have a feature that it does not have.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Good... that means I can once again point out how stupid you are and how you have no freaking clue what you're talking about, without worrying about whether you'll come back and turn it into another five-page argument.

There are no P-120's with string resonance modelling. None. Zip zilch
nada nanimo zenzen imasen
. Period.

I just hope that there are people on whatever other forums you post on to point out your error to prospective buyers, so that they're not disappointed when they buy a P-120 expecting it to have a feature that it does not have.

Kiru

HAHAHAHAHA. im laughing at your post. Ur right kiru, I am stupid, I lie all the time, and I dont know anything....

:rolleyes:

Kiru, i dont care if the guy from Yamaha has told me, if you have told me, or anyone has told me that it does not have string resonance. MY P120 HAS STRING RESONANCE, PERIOD! I am not going to fight about this anymore.

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

Ur right kiru, I am stupid, I lie all the time, and I dont know anything....

Finally, the light is seen... oh wait...

Kiru, i dont care if the guy from Yamaha has told me, if you have told me, or anyone has told me that it does not have string resonance. MY P120 HAS STRING RESONANCE, PERIOD! I am not going to fight about this anymore.

You... are... WRONG. Everyone else, from me, to the Yamaha representatives, are right. You are the ONLY person who can hear this imaginary string resonance. IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Oh, and I knew you were lying when you said you wouldn't post anymore, too. And I imagine you're lying now... I doubt you have the self-control to not respond to this post.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Finally, the light is seen... oh wait...

You... are... WRONG. Everyone else, from me, to the Yamaha representatives, are right. You are the ONLY person who can hear this imaginary string resonance. IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Oh, and I knew you were lying when you said you wouldn't post anymore, too. And I imagine you're lying now... I doubt you have the self-control to not respond to this post.

Kiru

I replied because your stupid stupid posts get my attention.

I am not lieing, my p120 has string resonance.

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

Regards,

p120dUdE

You know p120dUde, you could easily convince others that your claim is true if you merely produced a .MP3 or .WAV demonstrating it. .WAV might be best, to avoid arguments about what might or might not be a compression artifact.

Since you seem to have a fervent desire to convince others that you are correct, this would seem to be your best course. (And an easy course too, since you have a recording studio.)

- Ehz

• Members

Originally posted by ehzsc

You know p120dUde, you could easily convince others that your claim is true if you merely produced a .MP3 or .WAV demonstrating it. .WAV might be best, to avoid arguments about what might or might not be a compression artifact.

Since you seem to have a fervent desire to convince others that you are correct, this would seem to be your best course. (And an easy course too, since you have a recording studio.)

I know, right? But why should he have to prove it? I mean, he knows he's right, and everyone else is wrong.

Kiru

Archived