Aaarrg... Terrible Latency!

Puta

• Members

people,

i have just started using Midiox/MidiYoke as a multiport midi driver, cause my Yamaha CBX Driver doesn't share it's input between multiple applications.

but the latency is terrible! when i am playing there is no latency at all, but when i play back the midi i've recorded everything is about half a beat too late :rolleyes:

this happens even when just one application is open (Cubase) and when i have disabled the MidiYokes (virtual midi cables) i am not using in the Cubase setup.

is this normal for Midiox/MidiYoke or is there some setting i can change? (i've already lowered the sysex buffer setting a bit)

what alternatives are there for Win XP? (i heared Hubi's loopback doesn't work in XP)

this is the way i have things set up:

..................................................> MidiYoke1 > Reason > MidiYoke2 >

PSR-9000 > CBX Driver > MidiOX1 >.......................................................MidiOX2 >CBX output

...................................................> MidiYoke1 > Cubase > MidiYoke2 >

• Members

it's possible :)

but i would like to be able to edit some patches in XGedit in between recording. and i like Reason's sequencer.

i can't seem to find anything about this latency problem online either, just people having feedback loops in Logic. maybe i'll have to try a reinstall...

but before i do that, all ideas are welcome!

• Members

what i also don't understand is: why i have latency during playback, but not while playing or recording. doesn't the midi signal pass through the exact same chain while doing both?

• Members

ok, i seem to have tackled the problem :)

i still had a copy of myokent.dll in a folder on my desktop and Cubase was probably trying to use that instead of the one in the system folder. once i deleted the copy the latency was back to normal :cool:

• Members

puta: "what i also don't understand is: why i have latency during playback, but not while playing or recording. doesn't the midi signal pass through the exact same chain while doing both?"

Because I use no softsynths - I never experience latency in MIDI. In 13 years of MIDI-the only times I've experienced latency was if a setting was incorrect somewhere or I've chained one too many devices.

NOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION-

In some monitoring situations - you will hear no latency during the record process, especially if you're not using a full-duplex D/A converter. You won't hear the record track at all-unless you're monitoring it through a different set of speakers, or for instance, through an amplifier.

It is only on playback that you will experience latency. I experience this all the time in digital audio. That's why I have two sets of monitors. One for the track I'm recording, one for the playback tracks.

• Members

thanx for replying marcellis!

in my case it was just Cubase trying to acces the wrong virtual midi driver. i still had a copy of the .dll file in a folder on my dektop and after deleting that the latency was gone.

Archived