The Induce Act

• Members

Double posted for you folks who don't visit the sesspool known as Open Jam:

JUNE 28, 2004: The INDUCE Act is legislation being pushed by the record industry that would allow them to file lawsuits against companies that make unrestricted music hardware or software, such as the iPod or filesharing programs. The INDUCE Act will restrict technological innovation, limit free speech, and threaten one of the most vibrant sectors of the United States economy. Instead of taking advantage of new opportunities to build new business models, the record industry is pressuring Congress to stop music sharing with more lawsuits and regulation.

Help cease the errosion of peronal liberty. Fax your Senators and Representative here.

:mad:

• Members

It's sad how some people in this country ZEALOUSLY support the government, regardless of what is going on in the country or the world. Very unpatriotic if you ask me. Thomas Jefferson must be rolling around in his grave so quickly that he will soon launch himself into low earth orbit.

• Members

Originally posted by Array

Just another brilliant example of America's corporate elite having more power than the average citizen. Democracy in America died a long time ago.

There never really was true democracy, only representative. Most of the guys and gals that are supposed to act in our interest chase their own dreams and goals, as any of us would. It's human nature, and with the advent of mass communication, we actually get to learn of all their propositions, even though there's very little that we can do.

I mean, the Patriot Act passed literally overnight. If "they" want something to pass, they will succeed. It's all about money and power.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

I mean, the Patriot Act passed literally overnight. If "they" want something to pass, they will succeed. It's all about money and power.

... Which is why if I had a few billion dollars, I'd buy me a few Congressmen... and my own personal lobby group.

Amazing what money can buy. For everything else, {censored} MasterCard™ ;)

• Members

Originally posted by KrazyKarl

its pretty easy to corrupt a government when you are filty rich, run a practically all-powerful industry, and there are only 500 or so people to bribe
:(

Yup. "Campaign Contributions" is another way of saying legal bribery. The congresspeople - or the president or anyone else of such power - act in accord with those who helped them to get elected.

I found a neat site that listed contributions to such people, but I don't remember it. :(

• Members

The big players in the recording & movie industry view music & movies in the same manner as other consumer product producers view their wares: it's simply "product" to be sold. It need not be useful or of any actual value, it's only inherent value is that it can be "sold". That's why we now are being sold stereos that sound like crap, bikes with flat tires, DVD players that only work a few weeks, and music that can't be listened to (the copy protection scheme that kept CDs from being played on computers).

If you want to understand the industry's point of view, just remember this: The product need not be usable, just marketable! Nothing else matters!

The fact that you can actually listen to, and enjoy, music CDs is merely incidental, and doesn't actually matter to the recording industry.

The best copy protection they will come up with they already have: make the recording totally unreadable; therefore uncopyable. The only thing they have to work out now is how to persuade the consumers into buying such a recording.

They just might succeed. After all, Wal-Mart has succeeded in marketing bicycles that are almost unridable...

And music instruments that are pretty much unplayable...And they just keep selling more all the time. Unplayable CDs & movies can't be far behind.

If the copy-protection gets drastic enough, then the demand for pirated music can only be met by those with the bucks to finance massive copy-protection breaking efforts, and subsequent distribution. Like organized crime. A bit like when the U.S. had prohibition back in the 1930s: Liquer was hard to get legally, so organized crime filled the demand. And profited & grew from doing so. Hopefully the demand for pirate music is not so great, but it's hard to tell.

The final direction will ultimately be decided by the cunsumers.

Remember: If you refuse to by crap, they will quit selling crap. So if your neighbor buys a crap product, shoot him. It's for his own good!:D

Just like if nobody actually responded to spam, soon there would be no spam.

• Members

it's scary but i'm not that worried, as rylos stated this is just like prohibition the government can't completely turn against the people for the interests of a small group (the church then and the riaa now) i have hope in the courts though, just look at ashcroft v. aclu. the court recently decided that parents should be in control of their children when it comes to adult material instead of the government. ironically enough the induce act got it's major push as yet another way to keep children from being lured into "evils" such as filesharing. so maybe there's some hope... just think about how badly they would be hurting musicians if this passes. imagine trying to spread the word on your new band without being able to post music on a website or burn demos...

• Members

Relevant Slashdot post:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/07/06/1828221.shtml?tid=188&tid=97

"The BBC is reporting that the movie industry, in yet another illustration of just how much damage the Internet is doing to the long-suffering members of the MPAA, has just endured a record breaking $1Billion dollar takings for the single month of June. Clearly there is a desperate need to tighten up copyright laws in the face of this huge mountain of cash that is literally being metaphorically syphoned into the studios' pockets. How will they survive? "

Here's a link to the BBC article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3869137.stm

• Members

We need iMovies, though it is unlikely such a service could ever be viable. iTunes isn't making any money off music sales, and I suspect the others are equally using their services to sell other products, which do have a profit. The problem would be made worse with downloadable movies, assuming DRM systems were up to the task.

Archived