FS: The Bass Company (TBC) JT-500SS

gpc2

• Members

***SOLD***SOLD***SOLD***SOLD***

Now $250 Shipped (Con US) with Hard case!!

(Was $300 Shipped)

This bass is really nice but I prefer narrower string spacing. Really light at 8lbs 4oz. Beautiful swamp ash. A few nicks but all very minor, no issues with quartersawn neck. Finish on wooden pickguard shows some wear - it's really more like fading along the grain, easily touched up if you want. See photo. More pics available upon request.

For specs on the current version of this bass go here:

http://www.thebasscompany.com/5stringbassguitars/jt500ss.html

Pretty much the same except I'm pretty sure this came from the period when he was having them built in China. Build quality is excellent. For more on TBC go here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210278&highlight=jt500-ss

$300 Shipped in the US. Includes tweed hardshell case in excellent condition.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't find a "made in" stamp anywhere on the bass, but I am fairly certain this came from the period when Jack (the founder) set up shop in China. Unlike other companies, the China shop was owned and operated by TBC, not "outsourced." Here is more detail from the "history" section of the TBC web site, which I think was taken down since production returned to the US:

"I started this new venture with the help of my close friend Gary McKenzie and my two children, John and Andrea. Together, we spent the next several years developing our philosophy, refining our designs and honing our bass-making skills. Our goal was to offer handcrafted bass guitars at a price that most players could afford.

By 2002, we felt we had accomplished most of what we had set out to do. Our philosophy of design and manufacturing was in place, and we had a well-defined product line that we were very proud of. Our pricing was very competitive with other handcrafted makers but not low enough to open the doors to the vast majority of players. The obvious solution was to follow the path that most of the manufacturers had taken. Outsourcing was the solution for all things, not just the companies making handcrafted product but also the large production houses. Because of our desire to control all aspects of guitar manufacturing, from the tree to the end user, outsourcing was not an option for us.

The Chinese Connection

The solution to our dilemma presented itself during a consulting trip to Dalian, China. I spent several months on this project, and during that time I fell in love with the country and its people. We acquired a beautiful production facility, hired a group of talented young people and immediately began a training program that included English as well as guitar making. We were very proud of our extended family in Dalian, also known as The Bass Company East. It was truly a world-class operation, and at the time we were the only American bass guitar company that owned and operated their own facility in China. All others continue to outsource to Chinese, Korean or Taiwanese factories.

Return to the Beginning

By 2005 the landscape in the retail music business had changed dramatically. Large retail chains were adversely affecting many of the independents, limiting distribution choices of manufacturers. We were certainly no exception. To compete in this environment meant increasing volume substantially and spending the majority of my time in China. Inadvertently, I had created a situation that would not only prevent me from being with family and friends but would eliminate crafting the guitars myself. The only solution to this dilemma was to close our Chinese operation. During our 3+ years in China, we had established strong personal relations with our people, and setting these aside was enormously painful."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived