Any input on how to tackle Bowie's "Modern Love"

• Members

Having trouble finding sheet music for it and I have to have it down for practice by tomorrow. I get the main gyst of it, but I want to make sure I'm playing the right chords and inversions. Any suggestions for the type of sound to use? EP, or bells?

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Having trouble finding sheet music for it and I have to have it down for practice by tomorrow. I get the main gyst of it, but I want to make sure I'm playing the right chords and inversions. Any suggestions for the type of sound to use? EP, or bells?

Ok, I'm listening to this tune right now and it's not complicated - I'm sure whatever you're doing chord-wise, inversion-wise, etc... is fine.

As far as the actual sound to use - sounds to me like a real overly bright, obnoxiously-biting acoustic piano sound would do the trick. You surely have that in your Triton Le, eh? :D:p

Do you have a sax player in the band + if not, what happens towards the end of the song where the sax is riffing heavily (on the record, that is) ??

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Ok, I'm listening to this tune right now and it's not complicated - I'm sure whatever you're doing chord-wise, inversion-wise, etc... is fine.

As far as the actual sound to use - sounds to me like a real overly bright, obnoxiously-biting acoustic piano sound would do the trick. You surely have that in your Triton Le, eh?
:D:p

Do you have a sax player in the band + if not, what happens towards the end of the song where the sax is riffing heavily (on the record, that is) ??

Thanks GM.... knew I could count on you. :D I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet. Tommorow before practice maybe. I will definately try the Acoustic piano on the LE. I use that board for about 80% of my setlist.

No sax player... I'm the sax player (with Big Band combi on the Roland XP30):rolleyes: I guess it doesn't sound too bad... people really dig when I use that sound.

Speaking of which, we are playing next Saturday (July 31) at The Captain's Table in Monroe NY (5 minutes above Greenwood Lake). We are also playing The Vault (finally) in PJ Nov 15th. They wanted us alot sooner, but we were booked until then.

• Members

Thanks GM.... knew I could count on you.
:D
I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet. Tommorow before practice maybe. I will definately try the Acoustic piano on the LE. I use that board for about 80% of my setlist.

No sax player... I'm the sax player (with Big Band combi on the Roland XP30)
:rolleyes:
I guess it doesn't sound too bad... people really dig when I use that sound.

Speaking of which, we are playing next Saturday (July 31) at The Captain's Table in Monroe NY (5 minutes above Greenwood Lake). We are also playing The Vault (finally) in PJ Nov 15th. They wanted us alot sooner, but we were booked until then.

Oh man, I've got a gig on July 31st - oh well, maybe next time. I assume "PJ" is Port Jervis? That's a bit farther of a haul from my house, but still probably within an hour's drive or so.

How's that Samson powered cabinet working out for you?

• Members

Hey Gigger... sorry I was out of the loop a bit.

I'm still renting the Samson db500a for large gigs. For $20 once every 5 or 6 gigs it's not a waste. For smaller gigs I'm just running my boards into my Yamaha MG mini mixer and then out to the PA. Our sound guy runs the keys into my monitor mix (wedge below my feet). Of course it distorts and sounds like crap but for small to medium gigs it suffices. Besides, as long as it sounds good in front of the PA that's all I care about.

I would love to buy the Samson... I'm just having a hard time justifying the $450. The EON G2 15 would be even better but that will run me $250 more. Ugh!I'm sure both setups will be good investments in the long run but for the short term I'm living off of gig cash to pay for expenditures. The only annoyance in this setup is practice. For practice every week I need to break down my setup at home.... lug it to my drummer's house, setup everything into the mixer and then into the practice PA. That takes time I don't always have. If I had the EON, I could just leave it at the rehearsal space and plug everything into it (including my guitar POD which I use when I practice). Maybe next year, tax time. But there are so many things I want before that... an ION, a Vetta head.... someone want to loan me $2500

• Members

Ha ha - ain't it the way.

For me it's those annoying things like feeding the kids, paying the mortgage, etc... that keep me from being a complete gear slut.

However since I have gone legit with gig income, I actually do HAVE to buy a certain amount of gear each year in order to take deductions that amount to anything. Poor me... !? :(:eek:

Check one of rintincop's recent posts - another "powred speaker thread" or something: someone on there posted about how he wasn't that happy with his 6 mo. old pair of JBL EON15 G2's + was looking to sell. His loss could be your gain. :D

• Members

Poor Rintin.... he's never happy with his setup. But then again if I were the same level of player, I might have a reason to be picky. Maybe I should just stand behind him and collect everything he discards in his quest for the best.

Good thinking, Grant!

Archived