FS: 1985 Fender MIJ Jazz - '75 reissue made in Japan - blocks and binding - awesome!

TimBosby

• Members

Hello,

I picked this sweet baby up because I have long been curious about the 80s-90s Japanese Fender Jazz reissues. Believe the hype - these things are awesome! I have an actual '78 jazz and this reissue is every bit as great, maybe even better, since it is lighter in weight than the original. Unfortunately, I just got my original 78 refinished - which means I've poured money into it and consequently have to keep it. I can't keep both, so the reissue must go.

The bass is a '75 reissue, made in Japan. The serial # is B002925, which dates it around 1985, making it somewhat of a vintage item in its own right.

This is one beautiful Jazz! The color is natural blond, with some very nice grain visible under the clear gloss finish. Neck and fretboard are maple, with white pearl block inlays and creme binding. Three bolt neck plate with micro-tilt adjustment, just like an actual USA 70s Fender Jazz bass. Controls are all passive - volume, volume, tone. Simple to use and sounds just like a jazz bass should. Weight on my questionable bathroom scale is 8 lbs. It certainly feels lighter than most of my basses. It has a very comfortable neck in my opinion. Intonation is good, and I just had my guitar player (who is also my personal tech) adjust it to low-medium action.

Since this instrument is about 24 years old, there are some minor cosmetic issues, but overall it's very clean, especially for a bass that's seen over 2 decades of play. I've found 4 or 5 minor-but-notable finish dings around the bottom edge of the bass. Biggest one is maybe dime sized. A few others that are not as notable. A few scratches/wear around the bottom edge and a minor finish chip halfway up the upper horn. As far as I can tell, none of the chips go to the wood. The nice thing is, this bass has such a thick, shiny mirror-like gloss on it and that, coupled with the natural blonde color, makes the chips not that noticeable at all. It was really hard to document them in pictures, but I did my best. Frets appear to be in pretty good shape. Some nicks on headstock and back of neck. Chrome is still pretty shiny overall with only a few duller spots here and there - not really very noticeable. There are two empty screw holes on either side of the neck pickup - I'm not sure if maybe a pickup cover goes there? I don't like covers so I've left it alone. Two screw holes also show where a thumb rest could go. Pickguard appears to be non-original, but I am not positive. Strings are DRs - used but have a good amount of life left (DRs last forever it seems).

Overall she's in really good shape, especially for a 24 year old instrument... but I believe in full disclosure to the best of the seller's ability.

With the price of vintage Fenders ever-climbing, it may make sense to pick up up a "vintage reissue" instead. It seems nearly impossible to snag an actual USA vintage Fender bass (J or P) for less than $1500 in decent shape anymore. I've even seen a few reissues like this one go for over $1,000. Most seem to fall in the $700-$900 range. I'd like $675 shipped for this one. No hard case but I will throw in your choice of padded gig bag. Either a Topp Pro Music gear gig bag or a Levy's gig bag. The Topp Pro one seems to have a bit more padding so that is the one I'd prefer to ship it in but it's up to you. I'll throw a strap in too. Lower 48 only, please. Sorry, no trades on this one.

Please see the pics and let me know if you have questions.

082.jpg

081.jpg

080.jpg

092.jpg

095.jpg

More pics:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/TimBosby/75%20reissue%20jazz/

• Members

I have a '91 MIJ '75RI in 3TS w/ maple FB like this one and it's killer! I've read the threads about "needing" the treble pickup closer to the bridge and it's mostly crap. Unless you've got noiseless pickups and a lifeless amp where you need JUST that pickup right up against the bridge to be able to have any note definition... the difference is meaningless.

Best sound on a Jazz is both pickups up full anyway... fat and punchy. Roll tone pot back for R&B and up for funk. Simple.

Bump for a great bass.

Archived