JBL Eon G2 10s vs Motion Sound KT80

Nicky

• Members

I'm considering getting a either a pair of the Eon G2 10s or 2 Motion Sound KT80s. I'm looking for a lightweight portable stereo setup-I'm tired of lugging 2 Eon 15's. (Not intetrested in Motion Sound's stereo amps) In any kind of loud situation they would always be used as stage monitors only. Does anyone have experience using either of these setups? Thanks.

• Members

I use the JBL EON15's - sometimes just one as a stage monitor, sometimes as a stereo pair.

I agree that lugging TWO EON15 G2's gets cumbersome - although at 46lbs. each, it's still not that bad, considering each EON15 G2 cabinet has a 15" speaker, a horn + 2 pwr. amps on board, totalling 400watts of power. Packed pretty tight with all that stuff + still under 50 lbs. - what a bargain... :D

Using the EON10 G2's as as stereo pair sounds like a fine idea, although not sure if they'll be able to cut through a loud band situation - EVEN as just stage monitors, as you say your use would be in that situation. :eek::confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Nicky

I don't, but I've always just used them as stage monitors.

Hmm - stereo stage monitors...

Man, that stereo vs. mono thing is almost like a religion or a cult, isn't it? :D

So, I have to ask the obvious question:

You say you use the pair of EONs as a stereo pair of stage monitors - do you stand SMACK DAB in the middle of the stage? Otherwise, how do you get the full effect of the "stereo-ness" - unless you are standing there in the sweet spot, which is dead center?

Plus, what about your bandmates - the people at the far left or right ends of the stage are only going to hear the left or right channels of your sound. Isn't that a bit disconcerting for them?

• Members

You say you use the pair of EONs as a stereo pair of stage monitors - do you stand SMACK DAB in the middle of the stage? Otherwise, how do you get the full effect of the "stereo-ness" - unless you are standing there in the sweet spot, which is dead center?

Plus, what about your bandmates - the people at the far left or right ends of the stage are only going to hear the left or right channels of your sound. Isn't that a bit disconcerting for them?

I use them as a pair of stage monitors for me, not the rest of the band, so I place them around me on either side so I can hear the stereo effect. It makes a huge difference to me. The rest of the band would have their own wedges coming off the PA...usually in mono though which doesn't sound as good but that's just the reality of playing live.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

I have both EON15s and EON10s. The 15s are fantastic. The 10's just don't quite have it. I'm not familiar with Motion Sound.

Hey Midiguy -

Glad to hear from you, a fellow EON-lover... :D

You say the EON 10's "...just don't quite have it." Do you mean in terms of a big loud band situation, like Nicky describes?

But how about for a solo or duo gig - would the 10's cut it?

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Hey Midiguy -

Glad to hear from you, a fellow EON-lover...
:D

You say the EON 10's "...just don't quite have it." Do you mean in terms of a big loud band situation, like Nicky describes?

But how about for a solo or duo gig - would the 10's cut it?

They just don't sound quite as tight as the 15s. Clearly the lows aren't as tight since you're comparing a 15" to a 10", but the mids and highs aren't as tight either. I use them as monitors and they just don't sound nearly as pleasing. I've got the olders ones though, not the G series, perhaps there have been improvements. They also don't handle the low end very well at loud volumes.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

They just don't sound quite as tight as the 15s. Clearly the lows aren't as tight since you're comparing a 15" to a 10", but the mids and highs aren't as tight either. I use them as monitors and they just don't sound nearly as pleasing. I've got the olders ones though, not the G series, perhaps there have been improvements. They also don't handle the low end very well at loud volumes.

Oh, you have the "pre-G" series EON10's (which you don't like), but also have the EON15 G2's (which you do like)??

No wonder, that's not a fair comparison - I'll bet if you had the EON10 G2's you would like the sound of 'em.

You're not comparing apples to apples when you compare the G2 EONs to pre-G2 EONs - you're comparing one generation to another.

That's like saying "Hmm - my Pentium III laptop from several years back is OK, but my P4 desktop I just got in June is SMOKIN'!! ha ha

:D:cool:

Archived