Received great comments on Fantom X piano

Midiguy

• Members

I just recorded a demo for a woman yesterday using her voice and the "Ultimate grand piano" patch on my Fantom X7 in piano mode. The piano was so expressive, and sits in the mix perfectly without any eq. She couldn't believe how real it sounded. She chose IT over using my Yamaha 5' grand.

I'll try to post clips after I mix it down.

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

Yah, didn't you read the other thread? It's official that that piano patch and the whole fantom is inferior.

It is my opinion that inferiority as a whole has become inferior.

I had a person in my studio and they agreed.

• Members

I hope that Roland release the additionnal 64 megs included in the X serie as an SRX card.

So I could enjoy this new piano in my Fantom-S.

Altought I like the acoustic piano included in the SRX-07, I'm pretty shure the one in the X is a lot better. I was also thinking about the SRX-02.

So far I use the SRX-07 piano for solo and the internal F-S in most songmix (the internal cuts better in a mix IMO)

MIDIGUY did you compare all these piano samples ??

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

Yah, didn't you read the other thread? It's official that that piano patch and the whole fantom is inferior.

Ha ha -

I know you're referring to a thread I posted on + let me once again say that my comments were only observational (observant of what numerous others have posted).

I don't have personal knowledge of the Fantom + in fact, next time will not bother to post unless it is something I've had experience with.

How's that for a back-handed retraction... ?! :eek::confused:

:D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by TheRain

It is my opinion that inferiority as a whole has become inferior.

I had a person in my studio and they agreed.

BTW -

If TheRain and DodgingRain are in the same room with eachother, do they cancel eachother out? :eek::p

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

BTW -

If TheRain and DodgingRain are in the same room with eachother, do they cancel eachother out?
:eek::p

I do believe we are somewhat opposites yet on the same plane somehow. So perhaps yes. Or perhaps it just means that I end up hitting the pavement and turning into puddles instead of entangled in hair on his head.

• Members

The SRX-02 is shyte. I bought it and returned it. Thank you zzounds.com for taking it back. :)

It sounds nothing like a piano and there are octaves in the bass with pitch problems that render it unusable. :mad: I hope Roland pulls it off the market and gives us a better SRX board, which I would gladly buy for my XV-5050. :)

• Members

somebody with access to a Fantom X and a Motif ES needs to sit down and make a comparison page chock full of piano clips from both workstations.

so when these threads come up, we can say "hey check this page out and see what you think sounds better"

• Members

Originally posted by GregCh

Why do some Yamaha owners get worked up over a post saying something positive about the Fantom X acoustic piano ?

'Cause Roland sucks. ;)

No, seriously, I'd like to have a chance to demo the Fantom X piano, but I haven't found a place in MA all summer that stocks the damned thing, so I'll have to wait and see if the GC in Tempe has one. I'm personally willing to reserve judgement until I try it for myself. :)

Kiru

• Members

What the F@ck do you mean ????????

The whole Roland product line is inferior, period.

Except JP-8, Juno 106 and TR909 who where released by accident.

Now can we have a couple of thread here without interference where stupid ass like me can discuss about our {censored}ty Roland hardware ???? I'm tired to go to ''Toy'R Us'' to get advice and comments.

• Members

Originally posted by GregCh

midiguy and the woman singer are pro musicians and like the Fantom X piano.

Why do some Yamaha owners get worked up over a post saying something positive about the Fantom X acoustic piano ?

First of all... I honestly don't know if the Fantom X sounds better than the Motif ES in the piano dept.

That wasn't my point though... and whether or not these are PRO musicians or not is REALLY beside the point... and unprovable as well.

I was trying to point out by making a blantantly stupid and unsupportable claim... also one that is deeply dependant on opinion... just like this guy did.

It's all in the wording and this guy's comment reads like a masked advertisement.

• Members

ok rain, i see your point. its very hard to record a 5' grand piano.

If you think about it, the problem wih recording an acoustic piano had a lot to do with all the digital pianos we see today.

I remember what a PITA the Jv 880 interface was. I also had an A50 which was a lot of midi frustration. But Roland did make improvements, especially with the Fantom X.

Motif vs Fantom has been rehashed to the point of boredom . Especially the piano sound.

• Members

From comments such as "the Motif rocks, but I really hope to get out and hear the Fantom X someday" just reaffirms that most of what people say around here is merely hearsay.

Thank you to the indiviaul who said that I was merely commenting on a good experience with the Fantom X. Most of the Roland bashing is based on listening to the Motif and Fantom in the store. I was merely trying ot go beyond and comment on its practical uses - i.e. performance & recording.

I could really care less if everyone but me hated the Fantom X. The Fantom X with a few of the expansion cards just suited my needs better.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

From comments such as "the Motif rocks, but I really hope to get out and hear the Fantom X someday" just reaffirms that most of what people say around here is merely hearsay.

Well, yes, and since that was me, I feel compelled to mention that I didn't exactly waltz into this thread and bash the Fantom X. I DID say Roland sucks, and I have my reasons (Juno-D :mad: ). ;) And just because I haven't tried it doesn't mean that other people might have had a chance to form a negative opinion of their own.

On the other hand I have tried numerous Roland piano sounds and out of pretty much all of those, I do think that the Yamaha sounds are better. But I'm not criticising the Fantom X. Yet.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

On the other hand I have tried numerous Roland piano sounds and out of pretty much all of those, I do think that the Yamaha sounds are better. But I'm not criticising the Fantom X. Yet.

Kiru

I see where you might draw this conclusion. The stock piano in most all of Roland's synths have been crap. All of the XP/JV series for example never came equipped with a decent piano. You had to add the session board to those for a decent piano. This is not the case however with the Fantom X. It comes with a beautiful piano, even better than the SRX-02 piano card (not needed with Fantom X).

• Members

I see where you might draw this conclusion. The stock piano in most all of Roland's synths have been crap. All of the XP/JV series for example never came equipped with a decent piano. You had to add the session board to those for a decent piano. This is not the case however with the Fantom X. It comes with a beautiful piano, even better than the SRX-02 piano card (not needed with Fantom X).

I've played the RD-700, several FP pianos, XP synths, the XV-88 (which I owned), the Fantom and Fantom S, the V-combo, and expensive high-end HP digital pianos. So, when I said ''numerous Roland piano sounds" I didn't mean just the ones you'd find on synthesizers. I have NOT tried the RD-170 and I have NOT tried the Fantom X (I would like to try both of them). I have also not tried the SRX-02, but after all of the scathing user reviews I've read of that board, I would not even think about putting down any money for it, even if I DID have a Roland synth, which I do not (anymore).

And yes, out of ALL of those instruments, I still say that Yamaha pianos sound better.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

And yes, out of ALL of those instruments, I still say that Yamaha pianos sound better.

Kiru

Out of all the Rolands in the world and all the Yamahas - I think most would agree. However, we're only comparing the Motif ES to the Fantom X here.

• Members

Out of all the Rolands in the world and all the Yamahas - I think most would agree. However, we're only comparing the Motif ES to the Fantom X here.

Actually, we weren't. You were just saying how you were working with a woman that liked the Fantom X piano sound. :) Then all hell broke loose. ;) Personally, I didn't say anything like "The Mo'ES stomps all over the lame-@$$ Fantom X piano sounds." I would say "The Motif rocks, but I need to demo the Fantom X." And while I can say that I think the Mo'ES has an excellent piano sound, there's no way I can say for sure whether one or the other is BETTER until I try the Fantom X.

Fair enough? Sheesh. :) If you wanted to post a demo of the Fantom X piano, I'd love to listen to it.

Kiru

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Steph3dfx

What the F@ck do you mean ????????

The whole Roland product line is inferior, period.

Except JP-8, Juno 106 and TR909 who where released by accident.

Now can we have a couple of thread here without interference where stupid ass like me can discuss about our {censored}ty Roland hardware ???? I'm tired to go to ''Toy'R Us'' to get advice and comments.

Your opinion.

Roland have lot of bad gear, but have good gear you didn't listed, like the JD-800 and JD-990, MKS-70 and the JX-10 (even with the basic midi spec), the V-Synth and the Fantom.

Just compare real gear with real gear, not with toys. They do toys and some real gear. Yamaha do the same as other companies (IMHO).

• Members

Your opinion.

Roland have lot of bad gear, but have good gear you didn't listed, like the JD-800 and JD-990, MKS-70 and the JX-10 (even with the basic midi spec), the V-Synth and the Fantom.

Just compare real gear with real gear, not with toys. They do toys and some real gear. Yamaha do the same as other companies (IMHO).

I was sarcastic. In fact Roland was and still is my first choice.

Roland is sooooo bashed here at HC it's not even funny anymore.

Archived