Roland XP experts-Joystick problems/reset factory settings.

wheresgrant3

• Members

Hmmm. I don't use modulation that much and since I use my XP30 just for gigs I haven't noticed this until now.... the modulation fx does not work. I bought a floor demo and about three months ago for a great price, the mod effect just doesn't work. Pitch bend works perfectly fine. Just not when pushing the stick forward.... nothing. Is it possible the effect is just turned off for some reason? Should I try to reset the factory settings and see if it works before assuming it's broken? How do you reset this board back to the original factory settings?

• Members

Then it sounds like a problem with your pitch-mod lever. But do your other 3 sliders work? If not, there may be some circuit board damage. I also believe that there is a routine just for recalibrating the pitch-mod lever on an XP-30...it's come up either here or in another discussion board awhile back. You may want to do a search or call Roland. When you're all done, go ahead and leave one of your sliders set to modulation...it's useful for Leslie slow-fast because you can leave it set to fast and use both your hands for playing.

• Members

I used an XP-30 extensively for about 2.5 years. (am going to be selling soon, unfortunately) If there is anything that this keyboard is notorius for, it has to be the relative unresponsiveness of that stupid little mod lever. It does work excellently for pitchbend, but you have really push hard to get the modulation to work. I always feel like I'm going to break it. It also makes fine adjustments nearly impossible. Since I usually performed with the XP-30 using the Keys of the 60's and 70's exp. board, I needed to use mod to control the leslie effect on the organs. So, rather than fight the lever or have to take a hand off the keyboard to adjust the slider, I just use an expression pedal instead to control CC#1 (Mod). If you think that the lever is broken, I have seen replacement parts available on-line. This usually entails self-installation, so if you are uncomfortable with that, I would contact Roland, or the dealer you originally bought the board from.

hope this helps....

• Members

Originally posted by Lostkacz

I used an XP-30 extensively for about 2.5 years. (am going to be selling soon, unfortunately) If there is anything that this keyboard is notorius for, it has to be the relative unresponsiveness of that stupid little mod lever. It does work excellently for pitchbend, but you have really push hard to get the modulation to work. I always feel like I'm going to break it. It also makes fine adjustments nearly impossible. Since I usually performed with the XP-30 using the Keys of the 60's and 70's exp. board, I needed to use mod to control the leslie effect on the organs. So, rather than fight the lever or have to take a hand off the keyboard to adjust the slider, I just use an expression pedal instead to control CC#1 (Mod). If you think that the lever is broken, I have seen replacement parts available on-line. This usually entails self-installation, so if you are uncomfortable with that, I would contact Roland, or the dealer you originally bought the board from.

hope this helps....

Definately helps to know I'm not going crazy.... This joystick just plain sucks. It's just a small shortcoming from a great package.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Definately helps to know I'm not going crazy.... This joystick just plain sucks. It's just a small shortcoming from a great package.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, moan, moan - "My Samson cabinet is too heavy, my Roland XP30 joystick doesn't work. Boo-hoo!"

Always something with you Grant, isn't it? ha ha :D

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, moan, moan - "My Samson cabinet is too heavy, my Roland XP30 joystick doesn't work. Boo-hoo!"

Always something with you Grant, isn't it? ha ha
:D

That's me... I'm a bitcher... but that's beotch to you, bub!!!

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

That's me... I'm a bitcher... but that's beotch to you, bub!!!

Ha ha -

Oh, I forgot the other whine, "Boo-hoo! My Yamaha MG series mixer doesn't have a Master Aux. Send knob... " :D

So I bought the Mackie DFX6 - online Monday night from AMS (American Musical Supply), arrived today in the nice brown shipping box, just like Christmas. America - whatta country (I think I'll stay...! ;)

I think this DFX6 is a great unit - clean, nice layout, 4 mic. inputs, enough inputs for 3 stereo keys, built-in effects...

It's just - a - little - BIG ... ha ha

I'm not sure if it's overly large footprint is something I can live with or not - Grant, maybe you'd be interested in this unit for stage use + you could keep you Yammie mixer at home?

• Members

It's just - a - little -
BIG
... ha ha

I'm not sure if it's overly large footprint is something I can live with or not - Grant, maybe you'd be interested in this unit for stage use + you could keep you Yammie mixer at home?

Really!!! How big is it? the Yammie is about the size (length, width)of a college textbook. It fits squarely in the gym bag I use to carry wires in. The Mackie is bigger than that? Damn... they all look the same size on the web. :D

I am thinking about picking up another small mixer instead of breaking down my setup before every gig (I use the Yammie with my PC for recording). You know, there will come a time (and it's fast approaching) where outside of synths I will have a complete duplicate setup at home and at gigs. By then my investment in accessories will outpace the $$$ I spent buying my synths~! :D

• Members

Actually it's not that big, I was just exaggerating for effect.

It's a wee bit skinnier than my older Mackie (I have the MS1202 - original series, not the VLZPro - although it sounds fine, it also does not have a pre-fader Master Aux. Send knob). But the DFX is about 2 inches longer and a bit taller at the back end - it slopes up, as opposed to being one flat, level surface like most compact mixers.

It fits securely on the top of a milk crate that is standing on one end (the "tall" way) - even though a little bit hangs over in the front and back.

• Members

Yeah you do have to lay on the mod lever, try pushing harder until it doesn't move at all. It'll move something ridiculous like 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch and stop and you should hear something like mod. If you don't, stop pushing.

I've been using a DFX-6 for my vocals and PA for about a year and it's alright, definately far better than Be*ringer, but the preamps are a little sterile for vocals as is the reverbs. But it's fine for live with is all I really do and now I'm officially just a poor college student so whatever :)

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

Yeah you do have to lay on the mod lever, try pushing harder until it doesn't move at all. It'll move something ridiculous like 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch and stop and you should hear something like mod. If you don't, stop pushing.

I've been using a DFX-6 for my vocals and PA for about a year and it's alright, definately far better than Be*ringer, but the preamps are a little sterile for vocals as is the reverbs. But it's fine for live with is all I really do and now I'm officially just a poor college student so whatever
:)

FMP -

What do you carry the dang thing in (DFX6) - !? :eek:

Other than the size/shape of it (as compared to the little square shap of the Mackie MS1202 I've used for so long) - I think it's great!

• Members

For gigs? Normally nothing. The little knobs make me wary of putting it in anything and getting a special bag for it would just be ridiculous, so when I put the speaker cabs in the trunk I set it on one of the grilles of those. Never moves.

Why would getting a gig bag for the Mackie DFX6 be ridulous? If you play out a lot, you want to protect your investment, don't you? Would you cart keyboards or guitars around without a case? What if it rains, snows, sleets or hails?

Now if you're saying it's sturdy enough that it doesn't need a case - that's certainly high praise for the Mackie DFX6, but I can't agree there: everything you schlep in + out of the house, to the car, in + out of the gig venues should be protected somehow.

There's a company - Gizmo cases or something - that makes 'em cheap 25, 30 bucks for a case that fits many of the compact mixers. I use one for my Mackie 1202.

Advantages of a bag or case:

- protected by weather

- easier to carry w/a handle

- if permanently installed, the case becomes the bottom surface upon which the mixer can rest.

:cool:

• Members

Because a case for the DFX-6 would cost at least 50% of what I paid for the mixer itself. A guitar is something to be kept in pretty condition, I don't care if my mixer has a scratch on the bottom. It's an inexpensive mixer and if it breaks I'll throw gig money back up for a new one or something...although I'm generally very safe with gear at gigs.

• Members

Because a case for the DFX-6 would cost at least 50% of what I paid for the mixer itself. A guitar is something to be kept in pretty condition, I don't care if my mixer has a scratch on the bottom. It's an inexpensive mixer and if it breaks I'll throw gig money back up for a new one or something...although I'm generally very safe with gear at gigs.

Ok, I follow that - perhaps that would be true with a hardshell case, but there must be some kind of gig bag made for these things?

BTW, FMP -

When you use your Mackie DFX live, what is your configuration: Vocals, Keys, Gtr., Sequencer, Drum Machine, etc... ??

[Apologies to Grant for hijacking your thread, dude! :eek::D - - I just don't feel like starting another one].

• Members

Ok, I follow that - perhaps that would be true with a hardshell case, but there must be some kind of gig bag made for these things?

BTW, FMP -

When you use your Mackie DFX live, what is your configuration: Vocals, Keys, Gtr., Sequencer, Drum Machine, etc... ??

[Apologies to Grant for hijacking your thread, dude!
:eek::D
- - I just don't feel like starting another one].

Apology accepted

.... just remember rent is due on the 1st. :D

(BTW... thanks for the hookup on the Gizmo bags... I think I might get one of those. )

• Members

In the past we actually had two PA systems piggybacked for just vocals and acoustic guitar and keyboards for some songs, everything else was backlined. Basically it went like this:

Lead vocal mic SM57 and two Beyer Dynamic M69 mics (backup vocals) went into a DFX-12, two of them through a DBX 266XL compressor on inserts, channels one and two. Third mic just went straight it at a lower volume. Keyboards went in on a mono channel. My acoustic guitar went through a mono channel. Everything generally had some reverb save for the keyboard channel.

For cabinets we had two pairs of Yamaha club series speakers, which we used in two towers powered by a QMC RMX 1450 poweramp on each tower. Since we were normally on a platform, the louder set of club speakers (s15es which I owned) were on the bottom to shoot sound at audience level and these were running off the DFX-12 with minimal EQ since it generally sounded fine.

The top cabinets required more EQ since the mic was at their height, so what we did was we piggybacked the two mixers. My DFX-6 was taking the monitor output of the other mixer in through channel one and I EQed it to not feedback.

Then off the DFX-6 monitor send we ran another drum monitor off an old stereo receiver and {censored}ty ass cabinet that we didn't want people seeing ;)

This was a month or so that we did this so it's a little foggy, but I'm pretty sure I remembered most of it. We had really good results doing it this way and had more than enough volume to power any room that didn't have a house PA. Almost never had feedback issues either. Now I'm just using the DFX-6 with my compressor, one QMC RMX 1450 and my Yamaha s15e club cabinets with good results. Haven't gigged with just this half in a while, I liked having those towers :(

• Members

It was for a full band. An electric guitarist using a 100 watt amp, a bassist with a 1000 watt stack (no need for subs :D), an acoustic Ludwig set that would sometimes be miked for house systems, then the PA towers for my voice and my acoustic guitar, and once in a while my keyboard.

Archived