Get ready to wet your pants !!!!!!!!!!

robmix

• Members

Originally posted by SirGarrote

that just looks obnoxious.

I'd rather use Reaktor!
:p:D

-G

it looks incredibly comprehensive to me. the ultimate tool for a nerdular synthesist. therefore, for most of us it's not only too pricey- but perhaps just plain too heady- I'd be like a grandma driving a ferrari to the grocery store with my hands on that thing.

and maybe it's incredibly innovative. I don't think anyone deserves a 'humiliating kick in the crotch' for being innovative.:)

come to think of it- what's everybody's problem here? I think this thing looks awesome! I just don't have the time or need to study up and experiment enough to get the best this box has to offer. for now- my micromod fills my needs admirably.

oh- and the money thing too......

/johnny

l mix r:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just think. there are PLENTY of idiot guitarists who will pay 10k for a dumble and 8k on some custom job guitar. all to play blues. with basically the SAME tone you can get with a fender and tubescreamer and an eq pedal.

i can imagine that there are a few hobbiest synthesists who will be willing to pay $20k for a new buchla 200 series.

array - when you say $1400 per oscillator. seriously. you make it sound like its just some normal everyday oscillator.. which it completely isnt. :rolleyes:

259text.gif

electrobaby - i didnt see any KBs in any of the pictures :confused:;)

• Members

Originally posted by Is.

Okay, I usually don't like to stoop to name-calling and things of that nature, but anybody who doesn't recognize that this is a truly magnificent instrument is {censored}ing stupid, straight up. You know who you are. Everything about the thing exudes quality, from the panel layout, to the specifications...can you not see the flexibility such a system would offer? Did you miss the part about it being a full-blown modular (beyond full-blown, if that's possible) with
comprehensive MIDI implementation
?!

The dual arbitrary function generator (!) is so warped.

Okay, the price will limit the appeal of this instrument severely, I'm sure. But this is Don Buchla here. I'd say his track record backs him up. Anybody making an instrument like this is not looking to line their pockets, and I'm sure that the price reflects the quality of the instrument.

I *need* 20k right about now.

*edit* - Okay, there is one aspect one where one could be legitimately skeptical - we don't know how it sounds yet. Of course, nobody should be surprised that I have full confidence that:

A) It will sound amazing

and

B) mp3 demos (if they are created) could never demonstrate the scope, depth, or fidelity of the sound.

I completely agree with this. I worked with a Buchla modular at Cal Arts in the late 70's/early 80's and I greatly respect the man.

If it was $4000....[sigh]

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

array - when you say $1400 per oscillator. seriously. you make it sound like its just some normal everyday oscillator.. which it completely isnt.
:rolleyes:

259text.gif

Basically what that blurb tells me is that one doesnt need to use a seperate oscillator if they want to use oscilator sync. It also says that you can have up to 4 of these things in one system with their own individual midi channels. Sounds a lot like the concept behind the korg mono/poly and vermona perfourmer.

• Members

Why do people freak out so much when an expensive synthesizer is released? These aren't being marketed to your average bedroom studio or hobbyist (though I'm sure some will be bought by that crowd). I imainge the people who are going to be buying these will mostly be big studio owners, like Abby Road, where a $10K compressor isn't any big deal. A $20K synthesizer is what you get when you make absolutely no compromises. Do you really want someone to release another damn boring $1-3K synthesizer in an already saturated market or do something that may bring some innovations to the market that is targeted at you?

I'll never buy one. I'll also never buy a Ferrari. Same thing.

• Members

I'd just like to 2nd what Is. said. If anyone here is dissing the Buchla and hasn't ever played a Buchla, STFU - you have NO IDEA how amazing the Buchla stuff is...

For those who have had the good fortune of hearing or playing or programming a Buchla (I was fortunate enough to get some time to spend with a series 200 in college) you realize how amazing this is.

One word. Wow. I'm going to start saving/selling stuff immediately. :)

• Members

Originally posted by 3DMC

I'd just like to 2nd what Is. said. If anyone here is dissing the Buchla and hasn't ever played a Buchla, STFU - you have NO IDEA how amazing the Buchla stuff is...

For those who have had the good fortune of hearing or playing or programming a Buchla (I was fortunate enough to get some time to spend with a series 200 in college) you realize how amazing this is.

One word. Wow. I'm going to start saving/selling stuff immediately.
:)

How about instead of telling me to "STFU", why dont you try and explain what is so amazing about it? Again, I'm not saying that their stuff is garbage. Just a tad bit overpriced. Why not break down for me why each component costs X amount of $ and why this is a reasonable cost?

Some of you people are so zealous about this Buchla thing. It's like talking to a Mac fanatic.

• Members

This forum has once against has lost the meaning of subjectivity.

If I think it's stupid, there ain't nothing you can say that will change my mind, and I'll think you're stupid for not thinking that it's stupid.

But I don't have any opinions on this - other than that it is expensive. :D

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

This forum has once against has lost the meaning of subjectivity.

If I think it's stupid, there ain't nothing you can say that will change my mind, and I'll think you're stupid for not thinking that it's stupid.

The only problem I have is someone calling something "stupid" based on exactly ZERO (0) experience with said product and/or any other product in that line.

For example - if I say, "Man, Hawaii is a big island of {censored}." without ever having been to Hawaii, wouldn't you think that I might be...out of line?

Array - I wasn't attacking you - just saying that one shouldn't "diss" a product of which they have little/no knowledge based solely on specs and pictures.

I haven't used this machine, but have used to old series 200 and it is bar none the best sounding synth I've ever used. Granted, this release is obviously a boutique synth - not aimed at most people who would be attempting to put it in the same class as, say, a Nord. Which it is not.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

i can imagine that there are a few hobbiest synthesists who will be willing to pay $20k for a new buchla 200 series.

I saw one on the Nord G2 list. He paid pretty much that amount on a Serge modular system.

Hey, it's his money...

• Members

...but how many of us have ever or will ever have that opportunity? The guy never made many of anything and then puts a pricetag on them like this. I think he must enjoy being so "underground" - having people lust after his stuff and not be able to get it..:(

but I would NEVER say that system looks like anything other than....uh....well it looks very cool and fun

even if I had the money....I couldnt see spending that much money on a synth...you could put a down on a house for that....plus if I had the cash and bought one...my mommy would be very mad at me:mad: :D

• Members

Originally posted by electrobaby

...but how many of us have ever or will ever have that opportunity? The guy never made many of anything and then puts a pricetag on them like this. I think he must enjoy being so "underground" - having people lust after his stuff and not be able to get it..
:(

Hmm...I think he's probably just fairly detached from the market i.e. us. He wants to make instruments his way, and he doesn't care about any other consideration.

I may be a little overoptimistic when I say I could afford one in 5-7 years. Who can really predict their financial situation that far ahead? It would be hard to justify that kind of purchase to most people. At any rate, I'm glad Buchla is making stuff like this, if for no other reason than to remind us what true high-end synthesis is.

• Members

Originally posted by anykeystudio

This on is a semi modular and it's cheaper to.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. However, considering that it costs less than the Buchla rack with one oscillator module and nothing else, it does help put things in perspective. $1400 for the rack and power supply makes me highly suspicious of how much of the money is in the Buchla name.

There's not enough information on the website for me to make a final decision about the Buchla system or modules. With it costing about $500 to try out the smallest recommended set-up for 30 days, I'm not currently planning on bothering to find out. If the cost was justified in components and usefulness, I'd spend the dough but it's highly improbable from what I've seen and read. Considering their fame, one would think there'd be more and better examples of their use than the Silver Apples.

The Cwejman S1 is well worth its cost, IME.

• Members

Originally posted by 3DMC

The only problem I have is someone calling something "stupid" based on exactly ZERO (0) experience with said product and/or any other product in that line.

For example - if I say, "Man, Hawaii is a big island of {censored}." without ever having been to Hawaii, wouldn't you think that I might be...out of line?

Array - I wasn't attacking you - just saying that one shouldn't "diss" a product of which they have little/no knowledge based solely on specs and pictures.

I haven't used this machine, but have used to old series 200 and it is bar none the best sounding synth I've ever used. Granted, this release is obviously a boutique synth - not aimed at most people who would be attempting to put it in the same class as, say, a Nord. Which it is not.

Quite slick of you to edit the quote and take out the last line, which stated that I have no opinion of this. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

Quite slick of you to edit the quote and take out the last line, which stated that I have no opinion of this.
:rolleyes:

scoob - my reply wasn't aimed at you at all. I assumed that other folks would have read your post and knew that you didn't have an opinion on it. I was using your quote as an example of why I think it is silly to have an opinion that isn't based on actual experience. Sorry for the confusion - you know I don't have any bones to pick with you. ;)

Archived