Get ready to wet your pants !!!!!!!!!!

robmix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOW! nice! but. for that $$ i could get a fenix, 6 panel wiard, synthi, and a small frac rack of blacet/analog systems. but if i HAVE to have buchla --- then i rekon so.

edit: actually.. im starting to look at these modules and really drooling. not just from how beautiful they are. but a specsheet that would make wendy blush. oh no :(

edit again: holy damn. i bet these sound wikkid.

• Members

Okay, I usually don't like to stoop to name-calling and things of that nature, but anybody who doesn't recognize that this is a truly magnificent instrument is {censored}ing stupid, straight up. You know who you are. Everything about the thing exudes quality, from the panel layout, to the specifications...can you not see the flexibility such a system would offer? Did you miss the part about it being a full-blown modular (beyond full-blown, if that's possible) with comprehensive MIDI implementation?!

The dual arbitrary function generator (!) is so warped.

Okay, the price will limit the appeal of this instrument severely, I'm sure. But this is Don Buchla here. I'd say his track record backs him up. Anybody making an instrument like this is not looking to line their pockets, and I'm sure that the price reflects the quality of the instrument.

I *need* 20k right about now.

*edit* - Okay, there is one aspect one where one could be legitimately skeptical - we don't know how it sounds yet. Of course, nobody should be surprised that I have full confidence that:

A) It will sound amazing

and

B) mp3 demos (if they are created) could never demonstrate the scope, depth, or fidelity of the sound.

• Members

Yeah, a MIDI controllable modular with patch storage and the Buchla name is pretty amazing. I don't quite understand the crowd's yawns on this. I'm waiting for the demos because that's probably as much as I will get out of this thing (that and the pictures).

Too expensive, too limited a distribution, too bad.

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

Without sounds all it is is a pretty box, not a quality instrument. What determines if it's a quality instrument is how it sounds.

Anyway it's about time somebody bothered to modernize modular analogs the way they should be. Unfortunate that the price is in the stupid range.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Is.

Okay, I usually don't like to stoop to name-calling and things of that nature, but anybody who doesn't recognize that this is a truly magnificent instrument is {censored}ing stupid, straight up. You know who you are. Everything about the thing exudes quality, from the panel layout, to the specifications...can you not see the flexibility such a system would offer? Did you miss the part about it being a full-blown modular (beyond full-blown, if that's possible) with
comprehensive MIDI implementation
?!

The dual arbitrary function generator (!) is so warped.

Okay, the price will limit the appeal of this instrument severely, I'm sure. But this is Don Buchla here. I'd say his track record backs him up. Anybody making an instrument like this is not looking to line their pockets, and I'm sure that the price reflects the quality of the instrument.

I *need* 20k right about now.

*edit* - Okay, there is one aspect one where one could be legitimately skeptical - we don't know how it sounds yet. Of course, nobody should be surprised that I have full confidence that:

A) It will sound amazing

and

B) mp3 demos (if they are created) could never demonstrate the scope, depth, or fidelity of the sound.

I'm not saying it's not a great instrument. I'm saying that it is WAYYYY overpriced. Do you realize that 20k is more than enough to build a private recording studio? $1400 per oscillator? Thats a Virus C or SE-1x right there. I'm sure the midi implimentation isnt as "comprehensive" as you imagine it to be. You do, after all, still need to use patch cables. Same with the patch storage. You could probably store some envelope/VCO/VCF settings, but what use is it if you need to re-arrange patch cables every time you recall a sound? All this saves you from doing is tweaking some knobs.

It's a cool concept, but not nearly worth the price unless you are a member of a platinum selling touring band that just NEEDS to have a modular up on stage.

• Members

it sure does look beautiul...but yes the price is "as someone else put it...stupid"

I mean here is a great instrument for keyboardists that 95% of keyboardists will never get to own much less play or hear. why doesnt don create something within reach of consumers for crissakes...if this guy is such a genious he should be able to do that ...how about a higher level synth and a small lower level...(and by lower lever I mean about 4-5k or lower which is still expensive as hell)

but looking at it sure does make me drool

Archived