Weekend Gig Pics!

wheresgrant3

• Members

The summer is officially over for us. From Memorial Day-Labor Day we play at a couple of popular waterfront nitespots along the Hudson River.

One place in particular, Gully's, is a rite of passage. I've been playing there with various bands 4-5 times a summer for six years now. It is a former barge, turned into a floating resturant/bar. The downstairs is a resturaunt, the upstairs is the bar. Load in is a bitch (there is a long ramp 150ft long two people wide to get to the barge), the setup is horrible (in a small corner on an uneven floor.... bring towels so your gear doesn't roll overboard), and the power is limited (hmmmm full range PA running two Crown CE2000.... I think I'll skip the dimmmer pak)... but the reward is always a 200+ captured audience. We have a great following and alway bring a fun crowd, but there is something about this place that brings out the evil in people.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Some crazy drunk shots and a cool pic of my gear.

Gullyfront.JPG

Notice the long ramp

DCP03921.jpg

Notice the stage area (or lack thereof)

DCP03924.jpg

Just started putting the Roland on top for a change.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

nice! You still have the LE>?

Yup!!! Still have the LE.... I've decided that for the time being it fits my purposes. By the year end I'd like to replace it with a used Triton Classic or maybe a Motif 6.... the problem is that I use alot of samples, either to cue songs or fill dead space. The LE has smartmedia, the Classic does not. That just really sucks! There is no way I would bring an Extreme with me, for the same reason why I don't gig in bars with $500+ guitars.

I still use the LE for 80% of my synth stuff.... but the XP30, with it's better keyboard action is slowly creeping up.

• Members

Originally posted by jigg

Looks like fun, indeed. Nice to have a bumpin' crowd.

What's the band's genre? Or is it anything/everything?

Just covers.... but in alot of ways this is is the most experimental band I've ever played in, cover or original. It's pretty much 1/3 each 80's tribute, party music and new rock alternative stuff but the highlight of our setlist are these large mini set/medley pieces that we keep adding new matieral to. For instance we have a Rap/Funk medley that starts with

"Give It Away Now"- RHCP then goes to...

"Tricky"-Run DMC.... then morphs to....

"Push It"-Salt N' Pepper.... then morphs to....

"Let ME Clear My Throat"-DJ Kool.... then morphs to

"It's Getting Hott In Here" Nelly.... then morphs to...

"I Wish"-Stevie Wonder... then morphs to...

"Love Rollercoaster"- RHCP/Ohio Players then morphs to...

"Play That Funky Music"-Wild Cherry

Even though we rehearse this stuff by the seat of our pants(we practice twice a month for two hours) , the transistions are super smooth well thought out. It keeps people busy for over 12 1/2 minutes.. We have another 80's new wave miniset that combines Devo, Rick Springfield, AdamAnt, Kenny Loggins, WangChung,Billy Idol and The Ramones. Sure it drips with cheese, but it keeps people dancing. Everyone in the band comes from a different background so it's great to play with guys styles and interests. Our setlist definately reflects that....

for instance this week we are learning....

"Rolling"-Limp Bizkit

"In Da Club"-50 Cent

"Idiot America"-Green Day

"Let's Get it On"-Marvin Gaye

"Theme to Gilligan's Island"- .... for an indoor Beach Themed party in Sept.

It gives me a headache to try to cram all of this in (especially since in my free time I listen to progressive metal), but it's worth it when it goes all together.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

"Rolling"-Limp Bizkit

*best comic book guy voice*

worst song EVERRR

seriously though:

nice pics. and the venue: with the cross on front it looks like a christian drunk-boat.:) and that's convenient 'cuz if any more jocks showed up you'd have to turn the river into beer!--------wait-a-sec----- looks like the 'jocks' comprise the band. :D........just messin' with you, my brother.

thnx for sharing the pics,

/johnny

l mix r :)

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

*best comic book guy voice*

worst song EVERRR

/johnny

l mix r
:)

Your absolutely right... well, no... "YMCA" could be worse. But to be in a cover band and play to a generic crowd you often need to dig deep within your soul and play lots o' crap through clenched teeth. :D The payoff is that people stay through all three sets.;)

• Members

Answer to some previous questions:

radiospace: "Does that place have fire exits?"

Yes.... but if the boat catches fire you can just throw yourself overboard. :D(Actually, the only wood onboard is the top of the bar-everything else is sheet metal.)

baldo: "what is it w/the cross?" I think it's supposed to be a mast NOT a cross.

Archived