How's the Yamaha Sy77?

pelleyoo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sealed

As SY85 is YAMAHA's one of the earliest rompler, its user interface has some odd characters - layering is only possible in the Performance Mode, etc.

The SY55 preceeds the 85 by 2-3 years and was Yamaha's first Sample Playback only synth.

The SY55 allowed for very complex sounds in Patch mode due to the fact that sounds could be made up of up to 4 waveforms/elements, each with 2 resonant filters.

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

Crazy to think that now you have such things as the perfect piano (by Ensoniq) which is around 32MB I think. I still think the older synths do a pretty good job (judging by various clips on the net). Wouldn't you guys agree that a lot of it depends on whether or not you're playing a solo piano piece or one within the context of guitar, bass, drums, etc.? If you're playing in a rock/metal band let's say, having the most realistic piano sound isn't exactly necessary.

+1

I can tell you for certain that my 1988-released Yamaha CLP-350 Clavinova digital piano (with first generation AWM) sounds worlds above anything I hear coming out of a Triton, Fantom or Motif. Period. Can't say how it compares to the P series, but it's the best I've ever played on, and remains my digipiano of choice to this day. The low end is unbeatable. The memory might have been much less, and the AWM technique more primitive; but the complexity of the multisampling and the velocity curves of the internal engine are just outstanding. It works great for solo classical piano or just rockin' out. Completely dry signal (no effects) which is how I like it. Just a raw, unprocessed great piano sound.

Archived