WEll, I leave for a few weeks and what happens...

Trillian

• Members

Hi all,

I have been really busy for a while so I just thought I'd stop in and see what's happening here. Apparently while I was gone the proverbial {censored} hit the fan with some polital threads bringing out the Nazis out there. (notice that I am not naming anyone, nor do I know who they all are).

I see the p120dUde thread is still alive, 'haven't looked at it because I was a bit bored with it already but I would imagine there's a laugh or two in there still.

Well, if anyone wants to bring me up to date on the sordid details feel free :)

It's sad to see that something has happened that is drastic enough for some of our friends to want to leave.

-Sheryl

• Members

turns out a couple of members have been complaining to Scott for some time about OT posting and reporting OT threads. they're a diverse group, with some of them just against the political flaming threads, others against all OT threads.

finally Scott decided to start a discussion about OT threads, hence the sticky.

a number of other people, including me, got very pissed at the pro-censorhip members. as a result of that Is. left.

a few non-offensive OT threads got yanked, presumably by the other mod (Smokey), and that was the final drop for AK and Fear My Potatoe.

Scott has now said it was a mistake and reinstalled the threads, but AK and FMP were so disappointed in the other members that they left.

the rest is settling down again. in 2 weeks this whole thing will have probably blown over.

oh, and we are going to get a 'floor mod' to sticky and unsticky threads and to put OT in thread titles.

• Members

Thanks for the update Puta.

Hiya PB,

I have been trying to put together a rock band but that's not going very quickly and it's getting a bit frustrating actually. I have just done a track for a Dead Or Alive tribute CD and I am about finished with a track for a Fixx tribute as well.

Yeah, the Dalek. I'm a bit of a sci-fi fan and was very into Dr. Who all those years ago (started with Tom Baker). So I got a Dalek and then I had another built by a guy up North who does some really really nice work, so at the moment I have two in my lounge.

I will be selling the black one soon as I really don't need two and they do take up a bit of space:)

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Plastic Baby

Me again
:)

I collect star wars figures and the like.

If ever decide to get a dalek I'll give you a shout, if thats ok
( now what would it cost to ship a dalek to Australia......? )

Australia huh? One of these days I'd like to visit the 'land down under', prob Sydney.

Actually, if it could be put on a pallet and shipped via ocean freight it wouldn't be too bad. I think this would work by putting the shoulders and head inside the skirt and then it should fit on a pallet.

My project for today is taking all the hemisphere's off of the black one so I can clean the skirt and re-paint the hemis and get it ready to sell.

Yeah, feel free to email me anytime and if you do want a dalek at some point I can help find one or have a new one built. My new one (the grey one) is so well built and so detailed up close, it's really impressive, even better than I expected.

Laterz,

Sheryl

• Members

Maybe you could answer a question for me?

Was there a Dr who film or series where a little star fish type creature was shown to be inside a dalek?

Never quite sure if I had a strange dream or I did see it on TV?

Again, great pics, thanx for sharing and I will give you a call if I do decide to get one

There was one episode from the TV series where it showed the creature inside and it was just a mushy blob. There was one where they found some chemical or gas that killed the Daleks and showed one of the blobs inside. There may have been more than one episode with something like that but I only recall one.

-Sheryl

• Members

Was there a Dr who film or series where a little star fish type creature was shown to be inside a dalek?

Never quite sure if I had a strange dream or I did see it on TV?

Um....its not off topic, they used a VCS-3....

In the first episode of Patrick Troughton's portrayal of the Doctor, November 1966, they showed creatures inside of the Daleks for the first time. (Power of the Daleks) THis would have been black and white. I have no idea if they looked like star fish. I have not seen this. In 1967 the daleks returned for another B&W go round with Troughton (Evil of the Daleks). I have no idea if they show the Daleks creatures inside of the mechanical bodies. They may have because this was intended to end the Dalek's run in Dr. Who. It was a legnthy story.

You cant rent Evil of the Daleks (and maybe not the power of the daleks either) because the BBC destroyed the stored film sometime in the mid-late 70s. The BBC has recently reconstructed Evil of the Daleks from pieces held by collectors and the surviving footage and is showing it as stills on the BBC web site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/photonovels/

its in color, but im about 95% sure that its been colorized. You might want to check it out...this may be the answer to your question!

The Daleks came back three times with the next doctor, Jon Pertwee. 1972, 73 and 74. I have the 72 and 73 series on video, I dont remember seeing the dalek creatures inside the robots. I never saw the 1974 one. THe ones i saw were kind of boring. Jon Pertwee was kind of boring. All are in color, but that doesnt mean you didnt see it in B&W.

In 1975, they presented the Tom Baker classic: Genesis of the Daleks. Most people who have seen only a few episodes of Dr Who have seen this one. In this the dalek creatures are amorphis blobs and the good Doctor esentially is acting on orders form the time lords to commit genocide and kill them all. From 1975 on, the daleks are blobs.

Established in their first appearance in dec 63/jan 64...the daleks are the mutated remains of a people, later called the Kaleds on the planet scarro, who live inside the mechanical bodies.

for all your Dr Who needs....

http://www.gallifreyone.com/index.php

• Members

A keyboard player will never be out nerded!!! :D :D

whats really funny is that The Beatles were going to play Daleks in an episode. THey were actually going to get into the robot costumes. Something happened, I dont know what, and consequently they just appear on a tv screen in some live performance. I dont know from where, probably some BBC appearance. Cant remember if it was 64 or 65.

I went on a kick a few months ago trying to figure just when that Dalek craze actually happened in the UK, so I pieced together a bit a history from a few fansites. I find it kind of amazing that the Dalek pop culture explosion was 64-67.

Its also a unique story in creative control. Terry Nation, the creator of the Daleks, owns the rights. He has to give his permission for the BBC to use them. For all intents and purposes, he has final say in how they are presented. I suppose he owns the merchandising, but Im not sure and i dont know how that works out in the UK. The controversy in the UK a couple of months ago about whether the new doctor will have daleks was centered around the fact that the BBC didnt want to honor the original 41 year old agreement...sort of. THey worked it out. Dalek's first appearance is the second overall story line of Dr Who. either 5th or 7th episode.

New Daleks within the next year....at least for you folks in the UK. When is UK "sweeps week" for tv? New Who in January...daleks by april?

• Members

Terry Nation, the creator of the Daleks, owns the rights. He has to give his permission for the BBC to use them. For all intents and purposes, he has final say in how they are presented. I suppose he owns the merchandising, but Im not sure and i dont know how that works out in the UK.

True but its his estate that now has the rights Nation having passed on some years back. Its a pity his earliest stuff has vannished into the ether thanks to the BBC re-using video tap in the 60/early 70s. While the rest does'nt get any air-time.

There's no such thing as a sweeps week in UK tv. Which means you dont get a crazy break-out of special episodes and one-off events.

Mike.

• Members

Thanks Learning67 !

I didn't start watching Dr Who until sometime in the '70's with Tom Baker and later I saw as much of the first two doctors as my brother and I could find on tape. I saw all the Pertwee episodes when they were aired by PBS when I lived in the states. It's been a while now and my fondest memories are of the Baker, Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy episodes but for me the best story lines were during the Tom Baker years.

I just got a DVD player so I guess it's time to start collecting Dr Who on DVDs.

Yeah, new Who in '95 and new Hitchhiker's guide on radio starting next week.

This isn't actually too OT because Delia Darbyshire and others did work for the BBC all those years ago in the pioneering days of synthesis and electronic music.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Smokin-Man

By the way, since we're on the TV subject (and I'll keep it right here instead of posting an OT somehwere else), but does anyone remember a show called:

"The Goodies"?

and is it available on dvd yet?

Gooooodieeeeess! Goody-Goody gum-gum! :D

Yep I do, it proberly looks very very silly now! ;) You'll be pleased to hear the three stars Graham Garden, Tim Brook-Taylor and Bill Oddie are still fixtures on UK TV and Radio albiet doing quite different stuff these days.

Mike.

ps a big thankyou Trillian, I was sat here at 6.33 pm and I read your mention of Hitch Hikers return, which began at 6.30 pm! :eek: Its now being taped for listening back later. :)

Archived