Since Televisionary says that nobody is posting music, I will

wheresgrant3

• Members

All of this stuff are still works in progress. With work, gigs and life in general it's hard to find time to complete this stuff. Just short scrap ideas not necesarrily finished products. They fall in the film score/soundtrack vein.

WARNING: This stuff is very slow.... libel to put you to sleep. Enjoy...

Swirl- Completed this the end of July with no plan in mind... just 3 am in the morning on a rainy Saturday night. Took me about 30 minutes w/ Atmosphere on 4 midi tracks.

Swirl

Collaboration with my Friend... very Lord of the Rings like.... 16 midi tracks using Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Reflecting

Our first project together... last Feburary, just worked on this over a weekend... came up with a theme and it just kept expanding. Sometimes the best stuff is not planned out.

Troops Amassing Many midi tracks of GPO.

• Members

whereisgrant - good track and I love the depth of the sound - garritan sure sounds nice. I'm coming at you from the perspective of a former cello player who's wife currently plays Oboe in an orchestra - so I hear and see plenty of classical - but I'm no expert by any means :D

((slamming fist on podium) "Das ist ein

• Members

Collaboration with my Friend... very Lord of the Rings like.... 16 midi tracks using Garritan Personal Orchestra.

nice theme. nice development. garritan sounds great. i especially like the spatialisation of the orchestra - what did you use for reverb ?

about the theme and orchestration - when theme is going again arround 0:40, you could perhaps add some contrapunctal motion in woodwinds pp perhaps. also some slow ppp cello pizz on accents. on chord 1:22 some suspension note creates too much dissonance with other notes - chaotic maybe.

where did piano sound come from? also Garritan?

• Members

Allerian, marcellis, clusterchord...

Thanks for the input. Again these were, more noodling with the tools that I was working with opposed to a mapped out composition... although I have to say they are probably my most accomplished recordings.

Clusterchord... all of the instruments on that track were Garritan instruments recorded dry. The reverb is Lexicon Pantheon Hall type reverb a plug in with Sonar3.

Marcellis: The Garritan samples blow me away. Individually they are not as impressive as some of the mondo expensive packages from East West.... but for $250 you get a full orchestra... and a Steinway (the piano in the track). In a mix the samples (as you can hear)... sit quite well. Infinitely better than the Rom samples on my Roland and Korg. It takes a while to get used to using a mod pedal to control vibrato, pitch...I only briefly experimented with these tracks.

Allerian... funny you should mention Holst's "The Planets".... Mars Bringer of War is the first thing I demo'd when I loaded up GPO. The piece we wrote is a little redundant. We didn't loop anything, I just played the original rhythm line and then we layered track after track. I like how, (with very little mix down) full the instruments sound yet each is very disinctive in the mix.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

... all of the instruments on that track were Garritan instruments recorded dry. The reverb is Lexicon Pantheon Hall type reverb a plug in with Sonar3.

well darn it, that plug-in sounds really amazing. that was some kind of orchestra hall preset i presume?

i think i need to get a lexicon :rolleyes: , TC isn't cutting it for me, when doing orchestral work.

btw, i forgot to say before, you gave very nice attention to dynamics and drama - very important aspect of orchestration, often overlooked in midi rendtitions. ;)

• Members

Wheregrant3

Reflecting - is very nice indeed. Let me get this straight those orchestral sounds are a pulg - in, is that right?

I like it a lot. I think Allerian made some good points about the classical approach. It's been something I'm trying to do myself.

Swril - beautiful sounds and a wonderful sense of atmosphere. Kinda, deep sea / dark ocean, in ambience.

Troops Amassing- Good build up of the motif. OK a simple premise but good some nice subtle shimmy's going on there and good use of traditional classical flourishes to inject that sense of drama.

Well nice work all around. The classical thing is a pleasant change not doubt.

I'd hope that should you find he time you'd work on these some more to the point of completing them, they're nearly there as is, it's just a question of refinement and mixing...

Cool stuff.

Loreman

• Members

Swirl The sounds are great, a mistery song, what was in your mind while composing? i feel a mix of feelings, fear mixed with kindness, like those movies that show a monster with good sentimens, may be sounds funny but that is my imagination. I was afraid that some extrange noise sounds at any time but fortunately that dont happened.:)

Have a great day:)

Im downloading th other 2 songs:)

• Members

reflecting, what a good song , I was listening while seeing birds on a tree, it makes me live the

instant of nature that has no time considerations, how nature is, i mean the real thing not like

humans (well we are nature too but we are condemned (condemned may be this word is too

dramatic, ) to choose) that can choose from diferrent behaviors, we use to think in "must"

"should" "would" "more" instead of "be" . I think "be" is a very difficult theme to reflect, you know who

got the true?, any way, i think we all are looking for perpetual happyness dont we?

BTW you "must" take more time to compose "more" songs:D

it is incredible how music can take me to very different places or sentiments. BRAVO

I love the first notes of the piano, how a simple note is a song by itself.

Soundtrack theme developed: very nice song too, it is like a laberinth , i feel some kind of

impotence, this song keeps me trapped, i could not fly away.

Just my opinion nothing else.

Have a great day:)

• Members

Hey!!!

Thanks for all of the great compliments and constructive criticism. I always hear lots of great matieral on this board and I don't have a large cache of completed original music... mostly ideas and uncompleted pieces.

Very little planning went into all three pieces... The two Garritan GPO pieces were done in collaboration with my buddy Steve. Last summer we built twin DAW's complete with P-4 2.8Ghz, 1 GB 3200 Ram, 2 80GB Hard drives, and Audiophile 24/96 cards. We also bought Sonar 3, Garritan GPO and Atmosphere. He lives about 2 1/2 hours away so the first piece "Troops Amassing" we did over the span of about 12 hours on a weekend at his place. It was really just an experiment in midi tracking... see how much we can layer without mudding the mix. Very little eq went into the piece... in fact very little EQ went into any of the pieces. This is where the GArritan GPO samples shine... in a mix, in an ensemble. Not to say the don't sound good solo... there is just some clarity that exists within each sample that makes them sound fantastic in a mix.

The second piece "Revolving" was done over long distance... We started a Cakewalk bundle... then he would add and edit... email me the bundle and I would do the same... back and forth over a few weeks. I came with the main piano theme, and handled most of the mid section. We never really finished it.... then one day, I put some reverb over it and was like "whoa! This came out pretty cool".

For "Swirl" I remember it was late on a Friday night without a gig. I hadn't used Atmosphere or any softsynths in a while and I was deteremine to find some new sounds to work with. The rumbling was a patch called "Super Tanker" (I think) and the strings are "Light Strings Adagio". I love pads and ambient sounds and Atmosphere is my Nirvana. The only inspiration that comes to my mind when wirtting this piece was movie composer John Barry... although somepeople have told me it sounds more like Jerry Goldsmith (Alien)

Archived