OT: Ugh Spyware and IE Explorer

wheresgrant3

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

If the PC is more than 1 yr. old, you're due to wipe it blank and start from scratch with clean install of Windows, reinstall of your applications, etc...

That would definitely fix the problem - if it is software, which it sounds like.

;)

I'd agree. I'd also make sure you run all the security updates and make sure there is an AV program installed and updated. If you do a little preventive maintenance, you won't have problems. I have a PC at home that my wife and kids use- at one point it was full of spyware crap. I rebuilt it, made sure everything was updated, run scans on it frequently, and it has no problems now.

Someone mentioned about not having users as admins on XP- it won't work because the spyware install bypasses the security settings for the user. You need to disable install on demand in the internet options. The other thing that helps is to override the cookie settings to prompt you for all 3rd party cookies. This way, when you hit a site and another site wants to drop a cookie, you can block it. It's a pain to have to answer that question but when you see how many sites allow other sites to do this, you see where all the spyware comes from.

The other thing is stuff like kazaa are notorious for spreading spyware. Anything gator related is spyware too.

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

If the PC is more than 1 yr. old, you're due to wipe it blank and start from scratch with clean install of Windows, reinstall of your applications, etc...

That would definitely fix the problem - if it is software, which it sounds like.

;)

I know.... I'm due. Unfortunately since I built my PC (DIY)some critical apps, ahem... may be borrowed (cough, cough)and impossible to replace. How I would love to start with a clean slate again. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Doooode! Life has my Nuts in a Blender....

100 mile radius gig:Port Jervis The Vault, Sat Nov 13th.
:D

Ok, how 'bout this:

Buy my dad's Yamaha S80 + I'll come to your gig + "replace" for you some of those borrowed (cough, cough) apps you need for your home-built rig... ha ha!

:D:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I have run both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and Norton Antivirus and my system still seems to be under control.... of a malicious program.

I still get random popups ad while surfing my favorite site (this being one). And I am using Yahoo's toolbar for popup blocking.

Now my desktop seems to be inactive. I can only launch programs from my start menu, not my desktop.

Windows Media player will no longer launch

:confused:

you probably also need to clear your temp file (run > cmd > %temp% > ctrl + A > delete) and remove all the traces of the trojan/spyware from your register + the dll's from your system 32 map.

if it's a trojan or a virus, none of these apps are going to completely remove it.

Archived