My new, semi obnoxious, live setup!

wheresgrant3

• Members

My vision is almost complete... being encircled by synths, even if I'm not using them all.... haha! Actually that is not my vision, but I do like the way it looks.

46575e8a.jpg

P9240045.jpg

I'll be satisfied when I can squeeze a Micron into this setup.

It's the 'big rig'... I only break it out for special occasions. On smaller rigs I bust out just two synths with just the Aphex stand.

Either way... it's better than the old D-50 on the ironing board setup.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Why.... you obnoxious little bastard!
;)

Is that a Roland that I see under the MS2000?

Nice.

I will bore this forum with pics of mine once I get my EX7.

Tuck

I am obnoxious!!!! ;)

A37 Controller with nothing to do but sit there... currently it's midi'd into my Triton so I can play sounds without having to stretch while using the MS2000... but I am currently looking for a small module for it, so it can be independent. Any suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $250 and the size of a Nano synth or a Korg N5Xr... not a full rack piece. Just bread and butter sounds.

That EX7 should be cool... I'm debating between that or a Motif 6 for some usable brass sounds down the road.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I am obnoxious!!!!
;)

A37 Controller with nothing to do but sit there... currently it's midi'd into my Triton so I can play sounds without having to stretch while using the MS2000... but I am currently looking for a small module for it, so it can be independent. Any suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $250 and the size of a Nano synth or a Korg N5Xr... not a full rack piece. Just bread and butter sounds.

That EX7 should be cool... I'm debating between that or a Motif 6 for some usable brass sounds down the road.

Grantster - :D

Do you NOT dig the Combi Patch (C013, I think?) in your Triton Le (well it's in mine, anyway...) called "Big Bad Brass" ?! I think that sounds awesome blaring through a PA, especially in stereo.

Oh, and yes - you are an obnoxious weasel, having such a great setup, what with being a guitar player and all... ha ha

So Grant, are you going to buy my old man's Yam. S80 or what?

:cool::p

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Grantster -

Do you
NOT
dig the Combi Patch (C013, I think?) in your Triton Le (well it's in mine, anyway...) called "Big Bad Brass" ?! I think that sounds awesome blaring through a PA, especially in stereo.

Oh, and yes - you are an obnoxious weasel, having such a great setup, what with being a guitar player and all... ha ha

So Grant, are you going to buy my old man's Yam. S80 or what?

:cool::p

Haha!

Well, I was using that patch ( I modified it... added a split and added Acid bass and an organ patch on the bottom end), until I got the XP30. The LE brass to my ears are OK (better than most Rompler's) but I have to be honest... even with the tweaking it sounds way to bright and synthy for my taste. You can almost hear the 'saw' wave in the brass sounds. Even in the mix it sounded bouncy, like a synth. The XP30 has a performance patch called "Big Band". With the after touch and a little sax mixed in it sounds solid... synth-like by itself, but in a mix it sounds great. For the songs I use the brass patch on ("Jungle Boogie, Love Rollercoaster, Goodie Two Shoes, Play That Funky Music, Eat Too Much) the Roland beats the LE hands down. That's OK... it leaves the LE open for some wonderful Clav and EP patches it has. In that department, I think the Triton has the Roland beat. Just my opinion.

For instance I play with Jungle Boogie I play the brass parts... including the 'spider walk' using my right hand and the XP30's 'Big Bad Brass', and my left hand are playing the accented rhythm using A80 combi "Cutting Clav". Together they make a killer combination.

Not bad arranging skills for a guitarist player turned synth player ;). Just don't ask me to break out Billy Joel :D

I would consider the S80... but looking at the weight... it's a little heavy for me. Trying to keep under the 25lb mark. Shame... I think that would sincerely be my best choice for a new addition.... if I even had the cash. :(

• Members

Haha!

Well, I was using that patch ( I modified it... added a split and added Acid bass and an organ patch on the bottom end), until I got the XP30. The LE brass to my ears are OK (better than most Rompler's) but I have to be honest... even with the tweaking it sounds way to bright and synthy for my taste. You can almost hear the 'saw' wave in the brass sounds. Even in the mix it sounded bouncy, like a synth. The XP30 has a performance patch called "Big Band". With the after touch and a little sax mixed in it sounds solid... synth-like by itself, but in a mix it sounds great. For the songs I use the brass patch on ("Jungle Boogie, Love Rollercoaster, Goodie Two Shoes, Play That Funky Music, Eat Too Much) the Roland beats the LE hands down. That's OK... it leaves the LE open for some wonderful Clav and EP patches it has. In that department, I think the Triton has the Roland beat. Just my opinion.

For instance I play with Jungle Boogie I play the brass parts... including the 'spider walk' using my right hand and the XP30's 'Big Bad Brass', and my left hand are playing the accented rhythm using A80 combi "Cutting Clav". Together they make a killer combination.

Not bad arranging skills for a guitarist player turned synth player
;)
. Just don't ask me to break out Billy Joel

I would consider the S80... but looking at the weight... it's a little heavy for me. Trying to keep under the 25lb mark. Shame... I think that would sincerely be my best choice for a new addition.... if I even had the cash.
:(

Ha ha - good deal, Grant. If I ever come to check out your band, I'll sit in and I'll break out the Billy Joel for you... :D

• Members

Originally posted by jigg

Hey grant, how's that MS2k workin' out for you?

Pretty cool! I've programmed a few of my own patches but so far, I've just used a factory patch live. A-9 "High Voltage" is a dead ringer for the patch The Killers used on that song "Somebody Told Me". More than anything it looks f'kin cool in my setup. Remember, we are just a dance/party band that plays for the college aged crowd. So to be smothered in keyboards looks ridiculously over the top. Next up is definately a Micron and maybe one more Rompler (to replace the A-37). It saves from having to change patches all of the time.

• Members

Originally posted by protues9

I for one do not envy you for having to carry that around unpack and repack it it all everynight..
:)

Carrying it around isn't bad... all our gear except my guitars and synths we transport in a 14ft trailer. Set is a bitch though. I have it down to a science. It takes 40 mins to set up my guitars and keys, from the first case out to the first note played. Of course I'm the last to set up. :eek:

The Yammie mixer I use makes it so easy. Just plug everything into the board and run stereo out to the PA. Then it's off to set up my guitar. I've been thinking about line 6'ing it, just to make things easier... but then I'd have no back line... and the line 6 sounds like junk through the PA anyway. :(

• Members

Carrying it around isn't bad... all our gear except my guitars and synths we transport in a 14ft trailer. Set is a bitch though. I have it down to a science. It takes 40 mins to set up my guitars and keys, from the first case out to the first note played. Of course I'm the last to set up.
:eek:

The Yammie mixer I use makes it so easy. Just plug everything into the board and run stereo out to the PA. Then it's off to set up my guitar. I've been thinking about line 6'ing it, just to make things easier... but then I'd have no back line... and the line 6 sounds like junk through the PA anyway.
:(

Do you mean one of those Line6 Pod deals?

I dunno, the guitarist in one of my wedding bands plays a Line 6 amp that has all kinds of amp sims. and stuff in it - sounds great in and of itself + also sounds good with mic. on it, thru the PA.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Do you mean one of those Line6 Pod deals?

I dunno, the guitarist in one of my wedding bands plays a Line 6 amp that has all kinds of amp sims. and stuff in it - sounds great in and of itself + also sounds good with mic. on it, thru the PA.

:cool:

Meant the POD... My other guitarist plays a POD Pro through a Rivera Cab and it sounds sweet. However The POD, albeit a great recording tool... just sucks for live performances.

Archived