Anyone gig with a JV1010?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I've owned and used JV1010s at three different times, mainly due to opportunities I could not pass up for some cheap GAS quenching in a weak moment. The thing is a bottomless pit of decent Roland sounds and it is a good price considering what you get. However, the user interface is very poor and it is complicated to use "on the fly" in a live situation like I was trying to do. I could see it working very well in a home studio environment, when you have the time to search and find the sounds, plus being able to edit via a PC editor program. The issue with live is that it has so many sounds, but scrolling around to find them with the patch finder knob and the LED display is painful on stage. I had made some cheat sheets and even mapped some program changes to help me...but the big issue was the desire I had to make a minor edit to the sound and not being able to do so without it being hooked up to a PC. If I wanted to dial in a new sound I did not have mapped to a program change, it was like spastic fumbling and hitting on the wrong sound. Not a spontaneous device by any means...but a decent sound module and good value. It was the UI that caused me to sell it every time.

If you like the sounds and the paragraph above worries you, then check out the other JV racks like the JV1080, JV2080, JV3080. They are all reasonably priced and have a better user interface than the 1010.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Eric... great to hear from you. Haven't seen you around lately!

Thanks for the input... This wouldn't be a primary synth for me, in fact I would be lucky if I used one or two patches from it all night long. I was interested in a small, 1/2 rack unit that could sit on a controller and complete my setup. My primary synth is an XP30 which I use for piano, brass, vintage synths, and a Triton LE which I use for pads, organs and EP. In bigger rooms I have another 2 tier setup to my left/or right with an MS2000 for vocoding and some leads. The A37 sits on the bottom tier midi'd into my XP30. I know it seems like a waste to get the JV1010 if I already use an XP30, but I would probably just use it for piano... and maybe install an additional card (I have the JV/SR Special FX card just laying around). For the price ($130) I would definately get use out of it. And it's small enough to fit in a case rather than have a seperate rack.

It's either that or buy a used Q 6.1 or a PK6.... but for the price($250-350) I can't justify that.

;)

• Members

Hey Grant,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but you've mentioned in your post about vocoding with the MS2k. How are you able to keep the crowd noise from going into the mic along with the vocal? It has been a huge issue with vocoding with the MicroKorg.

Tuck

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Hey Grant,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but you've mentioned in your post about vocoding with the MS2k. How are you able to keep the crowd noise from going into the mic along with the vocal? It has been a huge issue with vocoding with the MicroKorg.

Tuck

No problem man... Hi-Jack away.

Well so far it's worked six out of seven times. It really depends on the room, how far away from the cymbols the mic placed and the direction my amp is facing. Even in it's most perfect moment there's a bit of feed back and noise, but I'm just using it for phrases and vocal effects. So far I've used the H4 "Dark Vocoding" patch and the H10 Vocoder Ensemble. Both have worked fairly well. I will say the MS2000B has a few things going for it over the MicroKorg...

#1 the mic is leaps and bounds better than skinny condenser on the MK.

#2 I can easily adjust input and gain on the vocal input. If it starts to squeal, I can scale it back some.

What also helps me is that we play some bigger rooms with a wide 'stage' area and high enough ceilings. I have my M2K off to the side a little that the PA mains provide a little direct sound insulation. I am thinking of running a better mic through a stompbox gate through the audio input in the back of the unit... If that improves anything I will let you know.

• Members

Great sounds, horrible interface. However, there's two other problems that come into play for live:

1. Inconsistent volume between patches. Some are "Hot" some are barely audible.

2. Same as #1 really, most people think the output isn't very hot. I ran mine through the headphone jack at times to increase the signal.

3. Locking up. Yup, it'll just quit responding sometines. Especially when switching pathces. Re-boot is the only soloution.

• Members

Thanks... these are the levelheaded endorsements I needed to hear.... it sold anyway, but I will pass next time. It was impulse interest really. I'd like to get a small cheap 1/2 or 1/4 rack size unit to place on my controller and manually cue up patches when I need them... Don't want to spend more than $150 + shipping. I'm thinking more towards a Korg N5XR or maybe a Yamaha TG-33. Basic rompler would be nice, but classic FM sounds would be killer. Any suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

Great sounds, horrible interface. However, there's two other problems that come into play for live:

1. Inconsistent volume between patches. Some are "Hot" some are barely audible.

2. Same as #1 really, most people think the output isn't very hot. I ran mine through the headphone jack at times to increase the signal.

3. Locking up. Yup, it'll just quit responding sometines. Especially when switching pathces. Re-boot is the only soloution.

Agreed on all three disadvantages. Interface indeed is horrible without computer. No "on the fly tweaking".

But looking up patches can be done without a lot of dialing (which indeed is unconvenient). Just place the te-be-used sounds in the user bank in the right order and this problem is circumvented.

Big pro: lots of sounds for a little money. Another pro: easily taken with you (in a case or in a bag or...).

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

Yes - it seems to need 5 seconds of solitude after you switch a patch. If you send a MIDI signal during those 5 seconds it will lock up and, as GlassPrisoner said, you have to reboot.

I used it live once during a no-pressure gig in somebody's basement and was very frustrated.

But, maybe it would work for your purposes, since you're only going to use it once or twice. It is a very nice collection of sounds.

• Members

Grant -

You dog! You claim to be a guitar player but your keyboard rig just keeps multiplying (or trying to...)!? :p

Instead of the JV1010 and its apparent volume issues, why not check out the Kurzweil ME1? Don't know if they're selling on Ebay used, but even new it's not going to break your bank I don't think...

:cool:

• Members

Hey Grant ,

I have gigged with 2 1010s and 2 a30s for about 6 years now. We play almost every weekend with a wide variety of music. One has country expansion other has 60's & 70's expansion. I agree with the others about the crappy interface and patch volume problems but found my best results were to place all the patches I wanted in the user bank and to equalize volume levels there. It also keeps you from having to make bank changes. With these 2 keyboards set up like that you can access 64 sounds instantly and can make any split you want on the fly. I have never had the delay problem but had an occasional locking up problem due to low voltage at some gigs. Keeping the modules on a separate line from the PA solved the problem. Great sounds in a compact package.

Danny

On a separate note hi to all first time poster long time reader.

www.angelfire.com/ga/doubleshot

• Members

a30dan -

Thanx for checkin' in! :D

I'm sure Grant will appreciate your viewpoint, given that you are indeed a "gig man" like he is (and I am).

Interesting that you have used the JV1010 to such an extent and for so long - must really be a decent little box, especially for the money.

;)

• Members

An extra 2-cents on the 1010. I actually like the unit but ran into issues with the midi port locking out when you plug/unplug too often. It's random and Roland admitted it was a known issue but didn't do anything about it. I first found this by trying to use it at a practice instead of lugging the heavy stuff, and ended up sitting out half the session while fiddling with the midi plug. It finally kicked on. After that I decided not to trust it for live gigs. I enjoy it at home though and it has nice sounds. I run it through a Roland RS-9, which allows me to use the RS controller knobs to adjust the 1010 sounds without a computer. This was my first and last sound module - in general they're too hard to adjust in the middle of playing and take too much set-up time.

• Members

Thanks... and I appreciate everyone's inputs on this thread. In the last year I have made some incredibily smart decisions because of the experinces and opinions on this board... ya' all rawk!

Hmmm, now I'm interested in the Kurz. I remember last spring I tested a KME-1 alongside a PK6 and XP30 and the XP30 eventually won out. The Kurz sounded great though... nice bread and butter sounds which I am looking for since I have plenty of Pads, leads, basses and synth sounds in my setup.

I've gone through our setlist, and out of 50-55 songs I play keys on 34 of them. I currently use 28 sounds split between my XP30, Triton, and MS2000. Although I don't have anything in a specific order, I make up the band setlist so I can avoid situations where I have to switch multiple sounds on the fly. The Kurz appeals to me, because of the piano... which I desperately need a decent piano sound... the Triton has none (usable) the Xp30 some passable(still too digital sounding) so there might be an advantange to the Kurz...

Is it a real hassel using one stand along module at a show? I really just want to find a reason for using the Roland controller, which sits in my closet collecting dust.

Damn GAS!!!!:D

• Members

I picked-up a Kurz ME-1 on eBay a few months ago and I am so happy with it! It works perfectly with my Roland A-37. It did take a bit of digging, tweaking and help on this board to figure-out how to set all the parameters but now I have all my splits and patches with effects controlled from the A-37. The Acoustic and Electric Piano sounds are very good (run stereo outs for the best live sound) and the bass and percussion sounds are very well done as well. Great piano/strings pad. I really don't think you can go wrong with this little unit (it is so compact!) I tried a PC2r, and although it's way deeper and has the tonewheel organs, I just didn't like it for live use. The ME-1 is much easier all around. Good Luck!

Archived