M-Audio Keystation 88es at GC

sevensinner

• Members

I went to GC today and was surprised to see one of these. I don't remember even reading any product announcements for em. But anyway, it's on M-Audio-'s website

As for the feel, it's the exact same action as the 61es which in my opinion is one of the better semi-weighted actions out there. ie, it is possible to play piano and organ parts (maybe not classical). The action isn't mushy nor is it too heavy or light. Dunno who actually makes it, but really it's just a 61es with more keys and a higher price tag. Asides from the full Keystation 88, the 88es' action is very much playable, unlike the Radiums...

My guess is that the target is for someone looking for a very portable lightweight (weighs 22 lbs, 9.5kg for the rest of the world) controller hooked up to a notebook or sound module. Heck for $250 (you can easily talk it down to $225 at GC) it kind of makes looking for a used Roland RS-9 a moot point. Granted I'm gonna keep my RS-9 (since it can do a whole lot more than be just a controller) if I didn't have that i'd actually consider it.

One more thing is it doesn't need any driver for WindowsXP or MacOS 10.x... which is kind of nice...

Now where's the 200 buck 76 key version? Hey you never know...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Mail order/online places are having a hard time keeping these in stock. Most are backordered....I found one at a Guitar Center about a month ago, can't be beat for the money. Feel is accurately described above, kinda funny because I owned a RS9 and it's very similiar action.

My motivation was doing 88 keys on the cheap until I can afford my P250 :)

I'm interested in experimented with it in the usb context with a soft-grand of some variety on my Dell Laptop.

• Members

brettryantalley-

We'll let you slide this time.... :)

MIDI is purely contol data and thus does not involve sound at all.

A MIDI controller such as this simply tells whatever soundmaking device you are using things like :

"middle c has been pressed"

"middle c has been released"

Picture it like a controller for your X-box, it can control games, but its not a game in itself.

Archived