I learned something about my horn the other day

• Members

Its a little section on the end of the 3rd valve slide that pulls out to let water out. If any of your students are playing a Bach Strad, it should have one. I think the Strads have a little lever that lets it loose. And, to my knowledge, it really doesn't serve any purpose except water removal.

And I've known trumpet players who have played the same horn for a decade that don't know that it has this little mechanism. Its hardly ever necessary for most trumpeters to empty water out of anything other than the main slide. Well, except those with Amado keys, but thats a whole different thing entirely.

• Members

So what'd you do? Tug even harder, even though your previous tugging had not removed it? :D

Mr. Ministries ... I assume sbb is referring to the fact that on some trumpets, instead of a third valve slide water key, you can actually pull out the very end of the third valve slide (essentially, there are 2 moving parts, the main third valve slide, which will have a ring on it so you can fine-tune D's and C#'s, and the "dump slide" at the end, which you pull all the way off like a French horn player would pull out a key slide). The weird thing here is that sbb's horn has both a water key and a dump slide.

• Members

Its a little section on the end of the 3rd valve slide that pulls out to let water out. If any of your students are playing a Bach Strad, it should have one. I think the Strads have a little lever that lets it loose. And, to my knowledge, it really doesn't serve any purpose except water removal.

And I've known trumpet players who have played the same horn for a decade that don't know that it has this little mechanism. Its hardly ever necessary for most trumpeters to empty water out of anything other than the main slide. Well, except those with Amado keys, but thats a whole different thing entirely.

...or what sbb said :D

I don't understand how someone would not know about this on a horn that they've been playing for a decade, but whatevs. However, I DO know that I need to empty out my 3rd valve slide all the time, I don't know about you ... I used to pull out my 1st valve slide and blow out the water that way, but on my Connstellations this isn't possible without unscrewing the trigger mechanism...

edit: wait, just remembered it was the SECOND valve slide that I used to pull to empty water. Now I don't do that cuz ... well, I just don't :o

• Members

What probably happened is that my sitting on it bent it just the right way to free it up.:rolleyes:

I'd been oiling the third slide and running it back and forth when I noticed the end starting to stick out. I don't know why it went now rather than, say, the first time I tried it when the horn was still new and not sat on.

Mark, I'd wager that your daughter's Strad has the dump slide, in some form. I think Bachs use a little lever of some kind to remove the slide, if there is a little lever there that will be the indicator.

Archived