OT- Cats

• Members

I know there are several cat owners on this forum and I desperately need some advice- how do you keep a cat from peeing any old {censored}ing place it wants to? Just trying to save my girlfriend's cat from the Animal Annihilation Center, which is the last resort after having her spayed (which just made her fat).

The cat has been in the family since kittenhood, 5 years ago.

• Members

grab its neck skin and twist it. mother cat does that too.

it can also help to, when he's peed somewhere, pick him up by the neckskin, take him to the pee place and press his face in his own pee. they really hate that and understand exactly what they've done wrong.

and ofcourse you should have a litter box and show him where that is.

• Members

You may want to try any number of different pheremones on the market - available at most pet stores. They help the cat calm down and can be sprayed in specific places.

But really, this is probably an issue you should take up with your vet - they'll likely have some better remedies that don't necessarily resort physical abuse, etc.

• Members

redirection? Please expound on that, Allerian.

pheremones? sounds intriguing. Maybe I should drop in at the local PetSmart and see if they can help.

the vet that spayed my cat really didn't offer too much advice. He scripted something that (according to my girlfriend) was similar to bi-polar meds) but the damn cat wouldn't take it- we ground it up and put it in her cat food but it didn't seem to have any effect so after about a week we gave up. Maybe we should have given it more time.

• Members

simple...the cat is upset...her friend is gone, and she got cut on!

she's pissing where she shouldn't so she can tell you something..."I'm angry at you."

cats seem to experience a wide range of emotions...and they include jealousy, sadness, anger...and yeah, heaven knows I am projecting a bit, but this problem isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I dunno what more to say other than good luck.

be well,

aeon

• Members

Maybe you've already tried this, but it's worth suggesting. Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Anytime you catch the cat pissing on something, give it a zap with the water. It's harmless, but most cats absolutely hate getting splashed with water. You have to catch your cat in the act, though.

• Members

You could try getting some strong citrussy essential oil, like melissa (lemon) and dabbing loads on her favourite pee spots, they really hate that smell. If the spots are on the floor, try putting something there to make them less accessible too.

You could also try putting a litter tray nearer to the pee spot, then she's more likely to use it, then move it further way until it's somewhere convenient for you. I did this with my kitten a few months back after he took to peeing in the corner of the bedroom and it worked a treat.

It's possible she's not just sad at missing her buddy but perhaps looking for someone to make up the attention that she used to get from him, so make sure she gets plenty of fuss when she's being good, and aside from immediate steps to stop the peeing (like the squirty thing) ignore her when she's bad.

It's a tough one sometimes but stick it out, I'd hate to see a kitty end up in the rescue centre:(

• Members

Originally posted by kooki_sf

the first piece of modded gear i ever had was a casio C(hee)Z(ee)-101. my cat did the modification while it was pissed off about something or other. opened up a whole new sound pallate(sp?!). true story!

so far the only incident has been when she peed on my optical digital cable. And one other time when she walked on top of my hard disc recorder and stepped on the "delete" button, erasing my work (which in that instance sucked anyway).

• Members

BTW I wonder if it would work to get her a leash and tie her up in the vicinity of her litter box, or maybe put her in a big cage (as I mentioned earlier) where she would have no choice but to use her litter box, in the hope she would continue to do so later when she had her freedom back.

It is hard to catch her in the act, so Purity's suggestion might work the best.

• Members

Originally posted by pgunders

Maybe you've already tried this, but it's worth suggesting. Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Anytime you catch the cat pissing on something, give it a zap with the water. It's harmless, but most cats absolutely hate getting splashed with water. You have to catch your cat in the act, though.

Aqua based feline behavior modification device.

Yup. Those work.

Also, a can full of pennies., Every time you catch her doing something wrong, shake the can.

As far as tying her up or putting her in a cage. Nope. The SECOND she get's out, she'll get revenge.

BTW, how do you and the cat get along ? Cat's are vindicitive.

• Members

I'd go with the face-at-pee advise, and then stick face in litter box, push her in until she gets the message.

If your place isn't too big you can also get an electronic zapper that emits a signal cats don't like whenever they enter its territory. That will keep her away from some areas.

Just a note about cat emotions: it is very true. They feel the same things we do. Now consider this cloned cat in the news now. How different are we really? Pretty spooky. Apparently "the cat is out of the bag" already on cloning.

• Members

Hi PFC,

Here's something that I heard works: put aluminum foil on the spots where you don't want your cat to pee.

Maybe it's just an urban myth -- but it seems an easy one to test. My cats, by the way, are not fond of foil in the least, so there may be some truth to it...

Good luck with this. I'm attached to both of my cats and wouldn't want to see 'em unhappy.

By the way -- here's my fat cat. I use my Rhodes to get her to pee in the right place. :D

Cheers!

Tim

• Members

Pgunders has a correct approach, if any approach is to work. Cats aren't really domestic animals although most people would consider them to be so.

I've had -- won't say owned because the buggers are so independent-- numerous cats over the last 30 years and only had one that peed on the walls. He wasn't the brightest cat I've ever seen. I backed the car over it twice and it just stood there. Didn't break anything.

My only solution to the peeing was to build the cat a small insulated house outside, which the neighboring weasel promptly took for its own for a couple of days.

In short, you may be out of luck on this one. Males are far worse than females in this regard.

Try the water. If it doesn't work, tell the cat (they know what you are saying) the pitbull is moving in next week. Things really could be worse. Your cat could be a skunk (and not a bad pet for distracting those pesty door-to-door types).

• Members

Originally posted by O.K. Johnson

Pgunders has a correct approach, if any approach is to work. Cats aren't really domestic animals although most people would consider them to be so.

I've had -- won't say owned because the buggers are so independent-- numerous cats over the last 30 years and only had one that peed on the walls. He wasn't the brightest cat I've ever seen. I backed the car over it twice and it just stood there. Didn't break anything.

My only solution to the peeing was to build the cat a small insulated house outside, which the neighboring weasel promptly took for its own for a couple of days.

In short, you may be out of luck on this one. Males are far worse than females in this regard.

Try the water. If it doesn't work, tell the cat (they know what you are saying) the pitbull is moving in next week. Things really could be worse. Your cat could be a skunk (and not a bad pet for distracting those pesty door-to-door types).

independent or not, they can be trained to some extent. the face in pee approach works damn well. nobody likes their face in their own pee, independent or not :D ofcourse it works better when they are kittens.

after the face in pee put the cat in the litter box (keep the top off, it's easier that way). reward the cat when it pees in the litter box.

Archived