ATA/133 Interface - Worth the Money?

GigMan

• Members

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to sticking another HD in my home-built PC. I built 3 yrs. ago, December of 2001 (P4 1.5ghz processor, 512mb RAM) but I just never got around to it. I do back up to an external USB drive, but what I want to do is keep the existing 40gb. + add an 80gb.

I'll do a clean install of WinXP on the 80gb jobbie and format it into 2 40gb partitions - "C" and "E." I'd use partition C for the OS + partition E for documents + files only. Then I can use the original 40gb drive as a backup of the files + docs on partition E.

So anyway my question is this:

The Maxtor D740X 40gb drive I currently use has an Ultra ATA/133mb interface. However the Intel 845WN mtb I installed when I built this box has an Ultra ATA/100 interface onboard. I had planned to get the 133 controller card at one point (perhaps thinking that I'd get it at the time of buying a 2nd HD) but I just never did.

At this point is worth it - to get a 133mb controller card? I've seen 'em as low as $29.99 - but still, is it worth the expense and the added hassle of installation? And then I have to seek an HD that is has the 133/mb interface - maybe not so easy to find any more, now that the SATA interface is common in new PC's.

:confused:

• Members

" what I want to do is keep the existing 40gb. + add an 80gb."

You want your cdrom and each hard drive to have their own IDE port access. So unless you have 3 seperate IDEA ports on on your motherboard, the controller card is a must do.

But if you have a place for both hard drives and a cdrom burner *indepently*, don't bother.

download Sisandra 2004 to benchmark your file system as it is now(keep a note of the results),, and bechmark it after you set things up. This will show you any improvements.

run CPU tests as well with current and future setups. Keep the results noted. Sometimes motherboards will allow fore 3 ide ports, but when in use suck down cpu. Same for controller cards.

benchmark early, and often.

• Members

Thanks Mike -

Currently I have 4 spots on my IDE chain (as is standard) - 2 Primary and 2 Secondary.

One of the 133 contollers would give me 2 spots, onto which I could put my 2 hard drives.

That would leave me plenty o' room for my existing CD-ROM and CD-Burner. Plus I might add another CD Burner/DVD Rom reader.

So I would still have plenty of spots on the respective IDE chains - both the onboard + the one on the controller card (if I get one) - no??

• Members

"Thanks Mike -

Currently I have 4 spots on my IDE chain (as is standard) - 2 Primary and 2 Secondary."

No chain. Direct connection with nothing on the secondary. Both hard drives on their own IDE port on their own cable, same for cd burner. All independent.

"

One of the 133 contollers would give me 2 spots, onto which I could put my 2 hard drives."

There you go. Some motherboards have more than two IDE ports (mine for example) that dont chew extra cpu to operate. If you dont have multiple ide ports on your motherboard, then definitely get the card.

"

That would leave me plenty o' room for my existing CD-ROM and CD-Burner. Plus I might add another CD Burner/DVD Rom reader."

yeah there you go.

"

So I would still have plenty of spots on the respective IDE chains - both the onboard + the one on the controller card (if I get one) - no??"

Ignore the chains if you are doing any kind of work on your pc or running high end graphics. Some say it doesn't matter. But im from the school of running everything on it's own cable, to it's own designated area. I dont like things having to share a cable.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Seconded. Get a SATA card, hook up a SATA drive, and you'll have much more of a boost.

I'm sure I would.

However, I'm strapped these days + can only justify this to my wife if it's under 100 bucks. I can get an 80gb 72K IDE drive w/8mb cache for $29.99 (after rebate).

I think a SATA drive + card would set me back a bit more than that, no?

• Members

Not really much difference at this point between 100 and 133 or even SATA. Your better off with a drive with better better spec's other than the interface.

What you want to avoid is having your hard drive on the same chain as an old slow cd-rom that you use a lot. If you don't use the old cd-rom much it wont matter either. You just don't want a lot of slow activity on the same chain as your audio drives. Also avoid fragmenting the drive to much (a.k.a. run defrag once in a while) and don't fill the drive up all the way. A full drive is a lot slower.

Also if your on win2k/XP make sure you kill the indexing service on the drives, it's pretty pointless and just slows down the drives.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

Not really much difference at this point between 100 and 133 or even SATA. Your better off with a drive with better better spec's other than the interface.

What you want to avoid is having your hard drive on the same chain as an old slow cd-rom that you use a lot. If you don't use the old cd-rom much it wont matter either. You just don't want a lot of slow activity on the same chain as your audio drives. Also avoid fragmenting the drive to much (a.k.a. run defrag once in a while) and don't fill the drive up all the way. A full drive is a lot slower.

Also if your on win2k/XP make sure you kill the indexing service on the drives, it's pretty pointless and just slows down the drives.

Good info, Umbra -

Though on paper I think there is a substantial difference: the standard ATA/100mb interface seems to be eclipsed in speed by the SATA interface, which is 150mb per sec., no?

But in real world usage perhaps there's not that much of a difference - which is probably what you refer to when you say there's not much difference... ;)

• Members

"can't you just put the cd-rom's on the secondary channels?

as long as you are not using them at the same time as the HD's does it matter?

i'm thinking about adding a third HD, so i would like to know for myself too."

no, don't do that. cdrom and hard drive do not belong on same ribbon. all of your hard drives and cd-roms should have their own ribbon and slot.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

"can't you just put the cd-rom's on the secondary channels?

as long as you are not using them at the same time as the HD's does it matter?

i'm thinking about adding a third HD, so i would like to know for myself too."

no, don't do that. cdrom and hard drive do not belong on same ribbon. all of your hard drives and cd-roms should have their own ribbon and slot.

do you have something to back that statement up? no offense.

• Members

Originally posted by Puta

do you have something to back that statement up? no offense.

I follow Mike's logic but also have an issue with it:

A standard IDE chain or bus only allows for 4 devices + a standard computer motherboard only has 2 IDE interfaces - a Primary and a Secondary, each allowing for two devices.

So unless you add a controller card (cards?), you can't have each HD and CD drive on it's own ribbon and slot... ?? :eek::confused:

• Members

"

I follow Mike's logic but also have an issue with it:

A standard IDE chain or bus only allows for 4 devices + a standard computer motherboard only has 2 IDE interfaces - a Primary and a Secondary, each allowing for two devices.

So unless you add a controller card (cards?), you can't have each HD and CD drive on it's own ribbon and slot... ?? "

that's right. Etiher buy a good motherboard which has the 4 ide slots (often times serving as a raid setup), or get the controller card.

If you decided to blow water through a straw, it would go smoothly. But what would happen if you needed to blow two moutfhuls of water through a straw at the same time?

But go ahead. Build a "pro" audio PC with two ide ribbon cables , 3 hard drives and a burner.

Have fun.

This is where all the "my pc crashes al lthe time" and "I get slowdown, and " a pc isnt reliable on stage etc" comes from. (well, that and Windos ME, lol).

Just built it right, or dont build it at all.

• Members

I can't argue w/that Mike, you're right.

Thing is though, I'm not "building" this box - just upgrading it. I did build it myself 3 yrs. ago (+ it has worked well since) - where the heck were you then (to tell me to get an mtb w/4 IDE interfaces)!!?? ha ha

So today I did wind up buying the Maxtor 80gb HD that is ATA/133mb - will use it for now (along with my current Maxtor 40gb ATA/133mb) on the built-in ATA/100 interface on the mtb.

Meanwhile, I'll seek out a cheap ATA/133 controller (25, 30 bucks would be nice) and then I'm set. Not much more I can do with this box + don't have the funds to do it right now anyway. Will try to get another year or so out of it + then give to the kids to replace their aging machine + I'll either build another one or just buy it + save myself the aggravation... :rolleyes:

:cool:

• Members

"Thing is though, I'm not "building" this box - just upgrading it. I did build it myself 3 yrs. ago (+ it has worked well since) - where the heck were you then (to tell me to get an mtb w/4 IDE interfaces)!!?? ha ha

So today I did wind up buying the Maxtor 80gb HD that is ATA/133mb - will use it for now (along with my current Maxtor 40gb ATA/133mb) on the built-in ATA/100 interface on the mtb."

Sounds good. Make sure you use Sisandra and benchmark your drives. It will be a good indicator of how well you are setup. It's a very helpful tool, and the normal version is free. It;s very straightforward to use, and is a must have tool to keep a PC in check.

"

Meanwhile, I'll seek out a cheap ATA/133 controller (25, 30 bucks would be nice) and then I'm set. Not much more I can do with this box + don't have the funds to do it right now anyway. Will try to get another year or so out of it + then give to the kids to replace their aging machine + I'll either build another one or just buy it + save myself the aggravation... "

There you go. sounds great. Get that card and enjoy the setup. Hopefully you have a few open PCI slots. Also, I would put all important data and audio on the secondary drive, and keep the O.S. and apps on the other drive. This will increase writing performance a good bit, and also data drives tend to have less mishaps than O.S> drives, so if your O.S. gets wacked by a virus or a problem, you can simply reformat and reinstall your apps without worrying about data. Of course back up your data drive anytime you add important projects.

Archived