How steady are those X frame stands?

eric CRAPton

• Members

Most of them are pretty sturdy. I wouldn't get one of the $20.00 single tier cheapo stands you see on the internet. If you're going for a two tier X stand, a Quiklok QL642 sells for around a hundred bucks or less, and its built like a tank. I wouldn't have a problem putting any expensive set of KB's on it. Right now, some of the Internet dealers are selling stands way below the regular prices. I saw a stand that usually sells for a hundred bucks going for 60.00 bucks on one of the Internet sites last week. Shop around.

Mike T.

• Members

I prefer the Z stands over the X. I have a fairly sturdy OnStage X stand that worked fine as a single tier, but once I added the 2nd tier extensions and put a 2nd keyboard on it, I got the wobble effect when playing keys at the far ends of the boards. Z stands are more sturdily braced IMO.

• Members

About every six months or so I post my sad story an an X-stand collapsing on me on stage and doing $400 worth of damage to one of my keyboards. It was a good X-Stand too (if such can be said about any of them) with the alligator-locking teeth, and I am a big guy and had tightened it well. Never again!

sku_M_92.jpg

This is my stand of choice now - the QuikLok M-92 "Monolith". It can't possibly collapse like an X-Stand can. I also use the Z-stands in my studio but they are too heavy and bulky for stage use IMHO whereas the Monolith is easy, fast and solid as a rock. Looks pretty spiffy too. :cool:

• Members

I've seen an ultra-steady X-frame, although I suppose if your boards aren't too heavy, you could get away with it.

I've gigged with light keyboards on X-frames, as long as I'm not playing funk or keyboard-heavy rock (or rockabilly, etc), they're okay.

The problem is that they wobble back and forth, especially when playing certain rhythms forcefully at the upper and lower ends of the boards. They get into an oscillation pattern and kind of weave. I've never had one collapse, though, even with a Roland EG-1 (? 70 lbs electric grand) on the bottom and a DX7 up top.

So - if you're playing Jerry Lee Lewis -- don't gig with one. Find something else. If you're playing Barbra Streisand, hmm. Don't gig with one either. ;)

• Members

Quote by wes-ninja250

------------------------------------------------------------

So - if you're playing Jerry Lee Lewis -- don't gig with one. Find something else. If you're playing Barbra Streisand, hmm. Don't gig with one either.

------------------------------------------------------------

:D :D

Too Funny, so true. :eek:

From some of the posts I've been ready on this site recently, I think several people posting here could make a living on Comedy Central if music doesn't pay the bills, not to mention a day job. ;)

Mike T.

Archived