7 of 9-flugel edition

• Members

I didn't say it couldn't be
both
:)

sounded like a dude playing flugel to me:blah:

i don't play the valved instruments but isn't he supposed to curve his fingers :confused:

very artistic looking flugel:thu: and the dude sounded like he couldn't get a seal on the mouthpiece.:freak:

and finally

JeriRyan-2.jpg

:love:

slackers:mad:

• Members

Yes, Andy Taylor made the horn. Ya know those posts where I talk about Taylor trumpets? Thats the guy. He makes some truly excellent horns, on par with anybody (including Monette), but he also likes to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. This is the second horn he has made with the bends in it, the last one was a trumpet. He also makes horns with square bells and other odd things.

• Members

Yes, Andy Taylor made the horn. Ya know those posts where I talk about Taylor trumpets? Thats the guy. He makes some truly excellent horns, on par with anybody (including Monette), but he also likes to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. This is the second horn he has made with the bends in it, the last one was a trumpet. He also makes horns with square bells and other odd things.

Oh, I remember those! I think you posted some pics from NAMM or something. Yeah, some of those square bellers were pretty cool...

• Members

1st video--not the best selection of backing music (in fact I find it quite tacky), and the horn sounds OK--not terrible, but nothing spectacular, either.

2nd video--excellent choice of backing music, and the horn sounds great (is that the player or the horn?--I'm betting both)

I would rather listen to video 2 than one

video 2 wins! :thu:

• Members

"The Nearness of You" is a great tune to blow over.

The horn sounds really "stuffy" and small but that could be the audio over the web. Sound aside, the only thing I like about the horn is the finish. Looks like satin nickel, maybe? With the design, what is the point, no pun intended? Taylor's standard flugel is a great horn. The "Phat Boy" (which looks like a flugel that someone sat on) and designs like this don't improve on it.

It's great if Andy has time to build odd things like this to draw more attention to his line, but his more traditional designs really do speak for themselves.

• Members

From following his posts on TH, I think the point literally is to see if those bends would be playable. I don't know what has been incorporated into his regular designs and what hasn't, though I'd guess at least some stuff has.

Speaking of sitting on horns, I disagree about the Phat Boy. I know all too well what a horn thats been sat on looks like.:cry:

Archived