OT: Car advice

ApolloBoy

• Members

What's your budget?

I drive a Volvo. VERY dependable, durable, roomy, safe, and yes, fast (the turbo ones, at least). They can also be had for not too much money, especially the 200 and 700 series.

The car in your link will cost you much more in the long run, IMO. My first car cost $400 and let's just say I ended up sinking about ten times as much into it to make it drivable/decent/free of problems. :rolleyes:

• Members

VOLVO VOLVO VOLVO VOLVO VOLVO VOLVO

1986 240 DL wagon. i put 300,000 miles on it. original clutch. original engine. pretty much nothing but regular oil changes for 18 years. drove it from NYC to Seattle and back 3 times in one year. it's been to all 48 continental states in the U.S.A. and never gave me a single problem. drove it through the desert in the summer and the Rockies in the winter. finally had to let her go when i moved to the city and stopped driving. i miss that car every day. sold it to a neighbor and it's still driving like new. now i'm stuck with a piece of crap Toyota Avalon, $30,000 paperweight. it's been through two engines and a transmission.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

lean out, running "smog test" juice (never tried that stuff), using low opacity oil in a 2 stroke? that sort of stuff

Huh? Smogging takes measurements of certain chemicals that come out of your pipe, such as carbon dioxide and other pollutants. If the engine is out of tune, the car may fail a smog. If the catalytic converter is shot, it will also likely fail the test. I believe that California has the strictest pollution thresholds in the United States, so it can be a pain.

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

1986 240 DL wagon. i put 300,000 miles on it. original clutch. original engine. pretty much nothing but regular oil changes for 18 years. drove it from NYC to Seattle and back 3 times in one year. it's been to all 48 continental states in the U.S.A. and never gave me a single problem. drove it through the desert in the summer and the Rockies in the winter. finally had to let her go when i moved to the city and stopped driving. i miss that car every day. sold it to a neighbor and it's still driving like new. now i'm stuck with a piece of crap Toyota Avalon, $30,000 paperweight. it's been through two engines and a transmission.

+1! :)

My 740 Turbo has 300,000+ miles and the engine is still strong and without problems. Take regular care of it (oil change, other fluids, etc.) and it will continue like there's no tomorro! :D

• Members

I definitely +1 the Volvo suggestion; old Volvos are quite reliable. My dad's car, well, it's old, it doesn't look too hot, the blower fan motor just crapped out, but you know what? It still runs, and it has like 360,000 miles on it... to the moon and a third of a way back.

Kiru

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, I've heard alot of good things about Volvos, too. I still see alot of those old 240s still on the road. I might look into one. BTW, what about getting a Dodge Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion? I've heard alot of good things about those cars, and they're quite powerful!

• Members

Hate to go against the wave of pro-volvo posts, but you really can't go wrong with an old Acura either. I'm driving a 1988 Acura Legend right now and nothing has gone wrong with the car in the three years that i have owned it. You could probably find a 1986 Acura Legend for around $500. Also, this car was recently featured on MTV's "Pimp My Ride" and won the motor trend car of the year award back in '86. A damn nice car with a lot of balls as well.

• Members

Originally posted by ApolloBoy

Thanks for the suggestions, I've heard alot of good things about Volvos, too. I still see alot of those old 240s still on the road. I might look into one. BTW, what about getting a Dodge Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion? I've heard alot of good things about those cars, and they're quite powerful!

Starion's have their problems. I would steer clear, unless you want to do something fun like swap a 4G63 and a transmission from a Mighty Max. Now you're talking.

I think the Starion is plagued by head issues. Some sort of rocker arm is notorious for crapping out, or something like that. You can usually find them in the paper for dirt cheap, if you want to rebuild/swap the engine.

I'm going to jump on the Volvo bandwagon. I don't own one, but I know many who have driven them with the mileage stated on this thread. I also see them at rallycross and rally events. Tough cars. I'd consider one for a rally project.

Oh yeah, the 240 coupe (or 2 door or whatever) looks HOT! :D

• Members

Originally posted by FightYourDad

Hate to go against the wave of pro-volvo posts, but you really can't go wrong with an old Acura either. I'm driving a 1988 Acura Legend right now and nothing has gone wrong with the car in the three years that i have owned it. You could probably find a 1986 Acura Legend for around $500. Also, this car was recently featured on MTV's "Pimp My Ride" and won the motor trend car of the year award back in '86. A damn nice car with a lot of balls as well.

Heh the funny thing is, when I totaled my mom's Volvo station wagon last summer, they replaced it with an Acura....

Kiru

• Members

Here's another neat thing about Volvo. They have what they call "Overseas Delivery Program".

Volvo will pay for your airfare and lodging in Sweden, you get a tour of the factory and facilities, test drives on a real track and they pay for it to be shipped home to you in America. And it will be cheaper since a Volvo is a "domestic" in Sweden. Pretty damn cool. Here is a link to one such story...

http://www.swedishengineering.com/rass.html

• Members

I will recommend a Volvo too. I had one as my first car (a 144GL!) as it was very cheap to buy, and everyone said I was mad and they were expensive to repair. But it never went wrong, and anyway, they are so easy to work on unlike modern cars!

Having said that, I later had a 265GLE estate with a 2.7 V6 Renault engine which was a POS (the engine that is!).

Get an estate and you have loads of room lugging keyboards to gigs.

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

i always vote "station wagon". way more storage space than these SUV assault vehicles that have taken over the world, without the $100 cost to fill up the tank.

he he, sorry should have said 'station wagon' instead of 'estate' for you guys! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Mookus

he he, sorry should have said 'station wagon' instead of 'estate' for you guys!
:D

i just only learnt this term last week myself, the only reason i knew what you meant. prior to that i would have been the first one asking "wtf is an 'estate'?!?"

• Members

Don't know if you get them over there, but I can strongly recommend a BMW. My one is 13 years old and still runs great - but I know a family who has a 25 year old BMW 3, it was always driven by the children - so usually nobody who cares a lot. They've still not much problems with it.

• Members

+1 on Volvo... I got 280k out of my '89 740 turbo station wagon. Sold it and bought a VW Jetta wagon... which holds my S-90, amp, accessories... drives great (esp in snow, which the 740 did not) and gets 32 mpg. You might be able to find an '03 used... or look for a used Passat wagon.

Archived