ever get that feeling in your stomach when you buy something new?

• Members

Think of it this way: You didn't spend money, you invested! You haven't lost any wealth, you've just transformed it into an Ion, a somewhat liquid asset that can be traded for something else down the line, should you deem it necessary!

Feel good! :D

• Members

If you get that feeling in your stomach, you're feeling some apprehension. Probably because you didn't do enough research before laying down your money, so you're still not 100% sure if what you bought is worth the money.

It's interesting, because you're trading money for a musical instrument. Money is useful NOW, and it always has a fixed value, so you know what you have. A musical instrument's value is in how it's used... so if you haven't used it much (eg you just bought it), it's not much value. On the other hand, if you keep it for a long time and use it a lot, it has (been) a much higher value.

Anyway, some food for thought.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris100

Think of it this way: You didn't spend money, you invested! You haven't lost any wealth, you've just transformed it into an Ion, a somewhat liquid asset that can be traded for something else down the line, should you deem it necessary!

It's not a great investment though, because as soon as you open the box, the value decreases significantly, it's not likely that you'll be able to recover your money back by trading it.

In fact, the only reliable way to get your money back is to use it to make music that makes money. Alternatively, you could be making music as a hobby that doesn't make any money. In this case, what you're buying is fun... many, many hours of fun playing the instrument.

Of course, this requires work... so until you actually start using your Ion, it's a very expensive doorstop. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeez

Money is useful NOW, and it always has a fixed value, so you know what you have.

Not true. Price levels increase (inflation), and so changes the value of money. As an extreme example, if all prices double, the value of your money is halved. That's why it's good to hold other assets than just cash.

• Members

It's not a great investment though, because as soon as you open the box, the value decreases significantly, it's not likely that you'll be able to recover your money back by trading it.

In fact, the only reliable way to get your money back is to
use
it to make music that makes money. Alternatively, you could be making music as a hobby that doesn't make any money. In this case, what you're buying is
fun
... many, many hours of fun playing the instrument.

Of course, this requires work... so until you actually start using your Ion, it's a very expensive doorstop.
:D

Forever,

Kim.

Relative to other things its a decent investment. No way to get your money back from girls, booze, and drugs. :D

• Members

Not true. Price levels increase (inflation), and so changes the value of money. As an extreme example, if all prices double, the value of your money is halved. That's why it's good to hold other assets than just cash.

Yes, you're right. I was writing comparatively to 2nd hand synths though. Aside from a few notable exceptions, 2nd hand synth values are so variable that they make cash look like a constant value asset.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Yes, you're right. I was writing comparatively to 2nd hand synths though. Aside from a few notable exceptions, 2nd hand synth values are so variable that they make cash look like a constant value asset.

Fair enough.

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Relative to other things its a decent investment. No way to get your money back from girls, booze, and drugs.
:D

That's what I was saying about fun. If you look at it that way, synths are great value - you can have fun with a synth for years.

Girls, booze, and drugs don't last nearly as long.

Well, some girls do, but that a whole other set of problems. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

just feel good about it and use your ion.

like others have said, keep it and use it for a while and you will have gotten your money out of it.

i never look at any music gear as a kind of 'investment', because you almost always take a big hit on it when you sell.

i look at it as something i wanted, something i got and felt happy about, and something that will give me some fun while i've got it.

• Members

I'm getting a feeling in my stomach, too, but it's more about paying slightly less than twice as much for the Ion, last year :(.

It's fixed, though - more correctly - I got a brand new one! :D.

Just a matter of finding the time to pick it up, though :(.

• Members

Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

Feels good and bad at the same time. God I hate spending money
:mad::D

I suspect that most of us who don't have unlimited funds have had that feeling after certain purchases. The real estate folks (whose clients typically spend a bit more than $600 :) ) even have a phrase for it, "buyer's remorse". Unless you've really made a bad choice, it usually passes pretty quickly.

--Barry

• Members

...a somewhat liquid asset that can be traded for something else down the line, should you deem it necessary!

At a much, much, much, much, much lower price than originally paid! :D

But no, I never get that feeling, because I evaluate every single purchase from 300,000,000 points and a further 2,000,000 before I drop a cent. Then, when I do, I feel great about the purchase and look forward to using it! :D

That said, I haven't bought anything new music-wise in a long time, so maybe I've simply forgotten. ;):D

• Members

I feel ya..

Listen to what I just put on my credit card:

Payed for 2 classes at school - $2400

Built an insane computer - $1000

ProTools MBox Factory Package - $500

To top that all off.. I may be buying a Novation KS5 this week too.

I'm gonna be neck deep in debt here for a while. Thank god I only have a 3% interest rate on my card.

• Members

DINpluggedIN nailed it. I was getting ready to chime in about "buyers remorse" too. It happens to homebuyers all the time. Didn't happen to me though, I was happy until I went to the mega Hardware store(Home Depot). I'll never forget it. The automatic doors opened up and I completely freaked out. I needed EVERYTHING in the store-lights, locks, tools, fans, rugs, lawn and garden, home improvement, AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

It was so obvious that people were staring at me.

Anyway, yes whenever I made a major gear purchase I just felt SICK! Justifying big spending on "gear" is tough, but you get over it. Then you do it again, and again, and again....until you get married then its a different game altogether.

Archived