OT-Anyone see a chiropractor for regular adjustments

wheresgrant3

• Members

Anyone see a chiropractor on a regular basis? What's your experience?

About a year ago I started experiencing chronic stiff neck, due to sitting at a PC all day staring at a monitor screen. I was recommended a Chiropractor by a friend, and I called and made a visit. Of course, the first visit was a free eval... he definately saw signs of concern, and I certainly felt them. He scheduled me to come in for another session for x-rays and the works.

I have to say the doc was very cool. Great personality, very concerned about my condition, and he seemed like he had a definate plan to get me in order. My X-rays showed, What I had suspected My back was out of alignment in two areas my neck and lower back. So I started on regular adjustments 3 times a week. I noticed immediate improvement. I slept better, I stood erect, however my stiff neck would still not go away. Luckily my insuranced covered 90% of the bill. Everything but a $10 co-pay. Months went by and my work schedule became pretty hectic. I found it tough to get to his office even 2x a week instead of three. On top of that $30 a week plus the 20 min drive to and from was a little more than I could handle.

Down to one day a week... My back still felt great, but my stiff neck was still chronic. So many times he would slap some Ben Gay on my shore neck shoulder, flip and adjust 3x and I was out of his office in minutes. I felt I wasn't really getting anywhere so last fall I let the appointments fade off. Now I'm getting calls from his office to reschedule. For $ 120 a month I could get a gym membership and a nice massage.

• Members

As a guy who has tried many Chiropractors over the last 15 years, I have to give it the thumbs down. I even have a relative who is one.

I started going in an effort to end my lifelong struggle with headaches. While it didn't stop them, it seemed to help a little so I went frequently and tried a few different chiros. I had the same experience as you - as soon as you were a regular patient, the quality of service went to nil and my visits we maybe ten minutes of "How are you feeling?" (never mattered what I answered) and then a quick crack of this and that and we're outta there. Didn't do a damn thing for my headaches. Some chiros I tried were downright violent with the adjustments and it was unplesant to say the least.

Get a real neck massage from a nice young lady with big hands.

• Members

I suffered from headaches due to a snowplowing accident almost 2o years ago. Since I work for a hospital I had seen a number of doctors with a number of different methods to help me and it never worked. I've never been a believer in chiropractors for all the reasons you and others mention. However, a co-worker gave me a free trial card from his chiropractor just to see what happened. He had me go 3 times a week for a month, then twice a month for two months, then once a month for 3 months - and during that time I only had one mild stiff-neck headache where I used to get them almost daily. I quit going over the last Christmas holiday to conserve money ($25 per visit) but have since started getting the headaches back. Bottom line - I never believed in them but it worked for me. Perhaps, while our symptoms sound the same, subtle differences determine if it will work or not. Or the guy you're seeing isn't doing the same procedure. I will be going back to mine shortly - as soon as I get rid of my current GAS problem - gotta have some new equipment despite the headaches.

• Members

I don't go regularly but I have used them in the past to get things straightened out from my weightlifting ventures. In particular I have a hip that seems to get out of line and causes some tightness in my low right back, when I get that adjusted it's fine for weeks. I'm probably giving myself more of a beat down than most people from the heavy lifting but I try not to rely on the chiro too much.

• Members

Be very wary of chiropractors in my opinion. I've had experiences with them over the years and a lot of them are simply "bonecrunchers". In fact, about 20 years ago a chiro did a manipulation with my left leg (and I was only there for a general tune up ..... massage for stiff neck mainly) and I could hardly walk for a month ! ........ and my left knee is still slightly damaged from that incident !

Here in Australia, it doesn't take much to become a chiroprator. Sounds to me Wheresgrant that you'd be much better off with a PHYSIOTHERAPIST ..... they are more highly qualified and only make bone adjustments when absolutely necessary. And then ...... they put a lot of emphasis on massage and are very 'gentle' if manipulation is necessary.

Be very careful with who you let manipulate your skeletal structure ...... I know of a few people who have been F***ed up by shonky chiros. Quite often a thorough massage by a competent person is all that's needed.

Cheers, murf :)

• Members

chiropractors rule, imo. i have seen a few, one fairly regularly for some damage from all the years i was a runner, and they fix me up every time. gotta find good ones though. the best tend to be the ones who are into the alternative "holistic" approaches, nutrition, etc. not the "bone crunchers." my guy now even has lasers and stuff that he shoots into my knee that i swear does something. :cool: if my insurance covered it, i'd go every week.

• Members

Originally posted by davehorne

Check this out ....

http://www.chirobase.org/

Yes, and more directly, see this:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chirostroke.html

There seems to be some controversy over the cause-and-effect relationship between neck manipulation and injury which can lead to stroke. However, I have a friend who was a proponent of chiropracty, until he suffered a stroke after a neck manipulation. For me, that makes the relationship a bit less uncertain. :(

--Barry

• Members

I didn't know it, but I had a blown out disc in my lower back about 10 years ago. I went to a chiropractor for months... and it just got worse and worse. I eventually had surgery, and, within a few hours, I felt better than I had in six months. The chiro was kind of a fraud (and eventually got indicted for "improper touching" of female patients). I don't think he still practices.

But I found another chiro -- who is the real deal. I used to get back pain a lot... I'm now good enough to go see him on a quarterly basis, just to keep me in line.

However, now that I'm gigging with the S-90 and lugging it and its SKB case up over snowbanks and stairs, the back pains are coming at a faster rate. So ...more chiro visits...and a plea to YAMAHA FOR A 76-KEY WEIGHTED S-90. Ok, I feel better. Thanks.

• Members

Most of the Chiro's are way too violent when they SNAP your back. That is NOT good for you. I went to a Chiro on a friends recommendation when I was having pains in my upper back from lifting too much weight above my head. The dude took X-Rays and had me going back to him about 3 times a week. After a month of him snapping my back, one morning I couldn't ever get out of bed. When I finally rolled out, I couldn't stand up straight. I was bent over like a freakin monkey. (Some people have accused me of that anyway).

Off to the Othopedic Surgeon. The DOCTOR said "NEVER let anyone touch your spine, not even an Orthopedic Surgeon without a second opinion". He told me that the more you have someone move your spine (the disks) the more they tend to move. (come out of place). He said I had a sprained back. He gave me "muscle relaxers" and told me to take them every day for a month. He said to have someone put piece of plywood between my mattess and box spring to keep it firm, and told me to ALWAYS lay on my back when sleeping. After the sprain healed up, he gave me a printed sheet with different back exercises on it and told me to keep the weight off my stomach cause it would tend to put too much strain on my spine and throw me out a wack.

Never had a problem since then, and that was 25 years ago.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by dan88z

I don't go regularly but I have used them in the past to get things straightened out from my weightlifting ventures. In particular I have a hip that seems to get out of line and causes some tightness in my low right back, when I get that adjusted it's fine for weeks. I'm probably giving myself more of a beat down than most people from the heavy lifting but I try not to rely on the chiro too much.

Actually I suffer the same thing (and I used to be into bodybuilding) My left hip gets out of alignment and puts mild pressure and (a dull pain) on my lower back. I know it's probably horrible to do, but sometimes I lay on a bed on my side and let that leg fall over the side of the bed. Ishifts right back into place.

This doc was great... I wish I had the time and could afford to go to him on a regular basis. My spine feels good after my adjustments, however I don't really get a release from the strain and tension my muscles go through.

• Members

I go about once every three or four months. In my business, I drive a lot and move bartop video games, pool tables, jukeboxes, etc. When I become too uncomfortable I go see Captain Crunch and five minutes later I'm good as new. Generally a lower back/hip joint that goes contrary. Never had headaches so I can't speak to that issue.

I'd steer clear of chiros who want to see you multiple times a week ad infinitum. Those are the ones generally padding their wallet at your expense.

Had a buddy of mine who was always throwing his back out. I got him into weight training and he never experienced a problem again until he quit. He's go back on the program and he'd be fine. Doesn't work for everybody.

I, too, have learned to do self adjustments when practical. When no longer practical, it's off to see the bone wizard.

Cheers.

--OKJ

• Members

I used to have lower back pain until I started working out my abs. I still have a compressed disk (or two), but excercising my abdominal muscles helps keep me away from pain. I work out every day on a weightpulley machine for about 15 - 20 minutes.

If you want to avoid pain, you have to work out and keep yourself in shape. (I move my own P250 in a flight case and I'm 54.)

• Members

I ended up with five compressed vertebrae after an accident while skating several years ago, and when my doc discovered this after I complained about the pain, he packed me off to the local chiro. Took him a month or two but he managed to free them up and they've been OK since. However, I still have no reflex in my right knee due to a trapped nerve and I get the occasional ache, especially after shovelling snow. So chiros are good for fixing some mechanical problems but not everything.

Bryan

• Members

Interesting topic for the HC forum.

I am an M.D. in family practice

I integrated acupuncture/homeopathy into the practice for 2 years before dropping them

I learned to do adjustments from an Osteopathic Medical College

I have been in 2 different offices where chiropractors also practiced

My brother is a chiropractor

Here's what I tell my patients.

Is chiropractic safe? yeah, it seems to be.

Does it work? yeah, some people respond quite well

Do I NEED it? No, but feel free to try it.

1. Now, we all need to understand that no one knows why chiropractic adjustments help. If your doctor claims to, he is full of {censored}. Also, there has never been a good scientific study that supports the use of manipulation as a sound method for treating acute lumbar pain.

2. "Back cracking" has been around since the original chinese medicine and through the various other schools of healing throughout the ages. It is not a novel concept. In fact, chiropractic adjustments were ripped off from the father of Osteopathic Medicine, who had lifted the concept himself. I understand that a massage in Asia includes back cracking from head to toe and a medical license isn't required...

3. Bones are not being moved during an adjustment. This is a simple fact. "Crack" your knuckles. What happens? A nitrogen bubble is created with distraction of the joint and an audible pop is heard. Everyone's back will crack every few hours if positioned properly. If chiropractors actually moved the bones, they would sever the nerves coming from the spinal cord. The same bubble is popping in the facet joints of your spine. Nothing special here.

4. Beware of any health care practitioner who recommends routine visits to "stay healthy". (I'm not talking about annual visits, just the 3 times a week for 3 months type of crap) They are lying. MDs, DOs, DCs and NDs have all been guilty of these schemes. Though the non medical types are more apt to be guilty from my experience, this is because they aren't busy taking care of truly sick patients and need to make a living somehow.

5. If a DC tells you to get off your medications, walk out. They don't know any more than you do regarding pharmacology. Nor do they understand the rationale for the modern protocols. My brother thinks he knows some medicine and will impart his advice on patients. When I hear it, I am embarrassed at his ignorance and angered by his arrogance. Plus, his patients are misled.

6. Most recently trained physical therapists in the U.S. can perform manipulations. So there is really no need to go to a D.C. PT is covered by most all insurers and they won't be talking you into things you don't need because there is a ton of oversight from the insurers.

I go to my D.C. a few times a year when my back acts up. Does it help? It seems to most of the time. But I'll never go more than twice per episode. If I'm really in pain, I'll pop a pill. Much cheaper, much more effective, and I frequently wake up pain free.

----Response to the post above me. Compression fractures become pain free in 4-8 weeks in any young healthy person without treatment. The adjustments didn't help them heal, time did. Just check the anatomy of a compression fracture. It is physically impossible for a chiropractic adjustment to fix it. The ultrasound, massage, and E-stim they use will sure help the surrounding muscles calm down, but that is something any PT can do and has nothing to do with the bones.

• Members

Originally posted by O.K. Johnson
Had a buddy of mine who was always throwing his back out. I got him into weight training and he never experienced a problem again until he quit. He's go back on the program and he'd be fine. Doesn't work for everybody.

--OKJ

Many people who have back pain thats not from an injury have weak abs. If you work your abs and strengthen them, it takes the load off your lower back muscles in supporting your torso. Any kind of weight training where you are doing lifts like squats and deadlifts- things that work the back, glutes, hams, quads and abs- is going to make your core stronger and help get rid of the back pain. If you are doing those lifts effectively you don't even have to do situps or other direct ab work. The stabilization those muscles give while you lift strengthens them enough.

• Members

When i was much younger, My mum used to take us to a chiro. it was about.. twice a year or less.

She was great.

when i moved out of the town to the local city, i tried to find a chiro , and one that i did find, took an x-ray, and told me that i needed to go for weekly adjustments to straighten my spine. It was visably bent, but every week??? i can't afford to waste a couple of hours a week, let alone the money. It just seemed shonkey, so i left. admitadly i could see the curve in my spine, but who knows how much is normal .

• Members

I agree with Dan's point about working out and training.

You can't just rely on other people's efforts to cure your aches and pains. Maybe they can help, but 90% of the work you have to do yourself.

Get yourself signed up at the gym or buy yourself some weights and a bench. Alternatively get yourself a mat and some pilates instruction and strengthen your core muscles whilst increasing flexibility.

• Members

Originally posted by purveyor2

Interesting topic for the HC forum.

I am an M.D. in family practice

I integrated acupuncture/homeopathy into the practice for 2 years before dropping them

I learned to do adjustments from an Osteopathic Medical College

I have been in 2 different offices where chiropractors also practiced

My brother is a chiropractor

Here's what I tell my patients.

Is chiropractic safe? yeah, it seems to be.

Does it work? yeah, some people respond quite well

Do I NEED it? No, but feel free to try it.

1. Now, we all need to understand that no one knows why chiropractic adjustments help. If your doctor claims to, he is full of {censored}. Also, there has never been a good scientific study that supports the use of manipulation as a sound method for treating acute lumbar pain.

2. "Back cracking" has been around since the original chinese medicine and through the various other schools of healing throughout the ages. It is not a novel concept. In fact, chiropractic adjustments were ripped off from the father of Osteopathic Medicine, who had lifted the concept himself. I understand that a massage in Asia includes back cracking from head to toe and a medical license isn't required...

3. Bones are not being moved during an adjustment. This is a simple fact. "Crack" your knuckles. What happens? A nitrogen bubble is created with distraction of the joint and an audible pop is heard. Everyone's back will crack every few hours if positioned properly. If chiropractors actually moved the bones, they would sever the nerves coming from the spinal cord. The same bubble is popping in the facet joints of your spine. Nothing special here.

4. Beware of any health care practitioner who recommends routine visits to "stay healthy". (I'm not talking about annual visits, just the 3 times a week for 3 months type of crap) They are lying. MDs, DOs, DCs and NDs have all been guilty of these schemes. Though the non medical types are more apt to be guilty from my experience, this is because they aren't busy taking care of truly sick patients and need to make a living somehow.

5. If a DC tells you to get off your medications, walk out. They don't know any more than you do regarding pharmacology. Nor do they understand the rationale for the modern protocols. My brother thinks he knows some medicine and will impart his advice on patients. When I hear it, I am embarrassed at his ignorance and angered by his arrogance. Plus, his patients are misled.

6. Most recently trained physical therapists in the U.S. can perform manipulations. So there is really no need to go to a D.C. PT is covered by most all insurers and they won't be talking you into things you don't need because there is a ton of oversight from the insurers.

I go to my D.C. a few times a year when my back acts up. Does it help? It seems to most of the time. But I'll never go more than twice per episode. If I'm really in pain, I'll pop a pill. Much cheaper, much more effective, and I frequently wake up pain free.

----Response to the post above me. Compression fractures become pain free in 4-8 weeks in any young healthy person without treatment. The adjustments didn't help them heal, time did. Just check the anatomy of a compression fracture. It is physically impossible for a chiropractic adjustment to fix it. The ultrasound, massage, and E-stim they use will sure help the surrounding muscles calm down, but that is something any PT can do and has nothing to do with the bones.

purveyor2 -

Great post! Interesting to hear from a valid medical professional - assuming you are what you say you are... :D

Good advice, anyway - re: chiro's who try to mess w/your medications.

Grant -

My wife goes once a month to the chiro - happens to be a family friend - and she says it really helps her. He didn't ask her to do it any more frequently than that, either - in fact, the once a month might have been her idea, I forget. My insurance covers it down to a 5 dollar copay, so if it makes her feel better I'm all for it.

:cool:

• Members

Responding to Purveyor2, I should have mentioned the timescales. I injured my back and did nothing about it for a couple of years as the pain went away. However, it came back again and that's why I went to the doc. My spine was pivoting on one joint and the five lower ones were not moving at all. Maybe that was coincidence or maybe not. Anyway, I went to the chiro and things improved. Maybe that was coincidence as well. Who knows?

Bryan

Archived