Hatha Yoga breathing?

• Members

Rafael Mendez talks a little about breathing in this video. He describes it in relation to the trumpet, but any wind instrument will work roughly the same. The audio/video quality isn't great but the playing sure is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8

if it works for trumpet should be the same for the sackbut :thu:

• Members

fine pranayama
:thu::blah:

That still covers a really wide range of practices, but my point isn't to split hairs over terminology, it's that these techniques are intended to be performed as part of an existing asana practice. You can do 'em on their own, but they work better and make more sense in context.

So bottom line: yoga is really great for improving lung capacity, diaphragm strength, and control, but there's no specific exercise to do that'll get you there faster.

• Members

Hi

I'm not a wind player but do sing and practice a fair amount of yoga. The yogic practices that I have found increased my lung capacity are the basic yogic abdominal breathing where the idea is to try and fill your lungs up like a milk bottle ie. from the bottom up. You can do this lying down (as most of us have bad sitting posture which closes off the bottom of the lungs). As you progress aim for a ratio of of 1:2 ie. for every time unit of inhalation there should be 2 of exhalation.

The other one which I have found very good is Brahmari which is plugging your ears, closing your eyes and humming for as long as you can. This shouldn't be forced but rather a steady flow of air. I do 5 of these a day and it definitely increased my lung capacity and improved the natural vibrato in my voice....

And all yogic breathing is done through the nose and not the mouth.

You should be able to learn these at any Hatha yoga center.

Archived